Member Of The Nika Club? | The Boneyard

Member Of The Nika Club?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wish I had not watched that video. Now I am even more impatient for next season to start. The number of assists should be beyond anything UConn has experienced in many years.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Nika a year older.:)

As I perceive her personality, and now that she knows what/how to improve. I'm predicting "first time ever" that she will actually come in next year a lot better than she was as a freshman.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I give her a 10! Those passes and steals are text book. Oh, and I wish that she'd shot more.
Nika is good enough to start with this team. The thing that may keep her out is her unwillingness to shoot. I think we all agree on this, and this video shows how good her passing and defense is. I also think that she shows us that she is NOT slow as some people have suggested. All she has to do is take 8-10 shots a game, and drive to the basket and not kick it out all of the time. She is steady a player that knows the game and appears not to get rattled. With Azzi, Paige, and Christyn in the starting line up, Nikas passing will set them up. It also won't hurt with her being the head of the snake on the defensive end. Geno is going to have a tough decision.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
They are a different team when Nika (the Gnat) is playing, it shows on both offense and defense. If she is the best defender on the team then she will start. Geno has enough offense but he always believes that it's the defense that counts and that starts the offense.

Reaction Score
Awesome highlight video, but Nika isn’t going get you more then 10ppg, I can’t see her starting over Azzi, who is a shooter and scorer something this team needs. With Bueckers, Fudd, and Williams as starters next year, UConn will be really strong in the backcourt and hard to stop from scoring.

Reaction Score
Nika a year older.:)

As I perceive her personality, and now that she knows what/how to improve. I'm predicting "first time ever" that she will actually come in next year a lot better than she was as a freshman.
Ditto! I would be shocked if she doesn't. She did exactly that during this season. Very excited to see what she has added and honed in her game to start the 21-22 season.

Reaction Score
They are a different team when Nika (the Gnat) is playing, it shows on both offense and defense. If she is the best defender on the team then she will start. Geno has enough offense but he always believes that it's the defense that counts and that starts the offense.
I agree, and you know moving to a new country, learning to play under new rules, etc. may have impacted her game a bit last year until she started feeling more comfortable. Some are basing her unwillingness to shoot on a small sample size. If we can get top notch defense plus a steady dozen points a night that should be good enough.

Reaction Score
Actually, with the supposed added offense, it may not be necessary for her to average double figures or shoot more, although I hope she does shoot more.
She just needs to hit 2-3 threes a game to force a defender to chase her around. And if at least two of Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are on the floor with her, Nika is going to find herself wide open a lot next season.

Reaction Score
That's the next step. If we don't get a couple consistent scoring games, in the 20's probably, from other people, that's not going to relieve the pressure on Paige. So we have to do a much better job of getting her opportunities and then we've got to have a couple other players that, because of the attention paid to Paige, can take advantage of the opportunities they're going to get.”

Reaction Score
Whenever I watch one of these highlight tapes I try to imagine what it will be like playing in front of a full house at Gampel, the XL Center, or Mohegan Sun. Next season can't start soon enough!

Reaction Score
I expect her to be a key player after Evina and Christyn turn pro. I think her tone setting, on ball defense, transition game, and facilitating are very big pluses for this team. If her outside shot becomes reliable then she has no weaknesses. Plus she is the pride of Croatia, Paige's twin and Coach's slime.

Reaction Score
When she was open enough to set her feet, put her eyes on the hoop and square up she was deadly. And playing the point with Bueckers/Fudd/ et al she had/will have a lot of those looks. I'm pretty confident that at least early in the season opposing teams will dare her to shoot since her man will be expected to help double either Bueckers or Fudd. It's not how many shots she takes, it's whether the defense feels they have to defend her. Müle may only take 8 shots/game but if she's hitting 5 and 2 of them are 3's then her shot must be respected.

Reaction Score
I remember most of those highlights. That's pretty impressive. I for one am not ready to write off Nika as a starter next season. The newbies will have to earn their spots next year as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
One factor when Nika was inserted into the starting lineup that should be remembered, is who Paige has to pass to if she plays the point. With Paige at PG the other three guards could shoot the three (Christyn, Evina and Nika), but none of those three particularly scared the opposition. Uconn scores at a very efficient rate, so a three by a guard other than Paige was not their greatest fear.

Paige had so so options to pass to but not great ones. Then Nika and Paige switched roles, and now our new point guard had a great three point option to pass to in Paige, who assumed more of a scorer role. Now clearly Paige could have been the best PG, SG and probably SF on last year's team, but when she was in with Nika, the two of them were much more productive with Nika at the point. Paige can play anywhere, Nika is pretty much pure point guard.

Next year if Aaliyah settles in as starting PF, as I think she should, and last year's full season starters are the same, Evina and Christyn, then Paige would once again be a point guard with ok, but not great, three point options to pass to. If Azzi replaced one of those as a starter, then those dynamics change, two of the three would be great three point shooters, and at least one off the ball.

If Nika is part of the second unit and the seniors keep their starting roles, she could have two great shooters with her in Azzi and perhaps Carolyn on the wings, and still have an inside option in Gorka or Liv (whoever doesn't start there).

There are many combinations, but which ones mesh best with our two great passing PG's may be as much of a factor, as who the best overall players are. Last year we added great passing (and yes Evina added to that too), but our outside shooting was not as good. Next year Geno will add shooters to the passers, and the inside scorers (Aaliyah,Liv, Gorka) and balance the skills for the best combinations.

That may or may not mean starting the five best players.

Reaction Score
I think Nika's value is a lot higher as a starter then off the bench. When she starts she is a leader and a tone setter for the team. The defense is a lot more disruptive and transition points come in bunches. And she can help facilitate the offense for the scorers.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is probably the ideal sixth women off the bench. She plays the role perfectly.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Gnat strikes again!
If we picked up another walk on whose job was help out Nika domestically would she be the Gnat butler?

(I apologize to all concerned, but it had to be said.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am proud to sign on as a member of the Nika club. Who is designing our tee shirts? When can we expect delivery? Can't wait for the season!

The Croatian flag with a Husky superimposed.

1618979308932.png

1618979388651.png

Reaction Score
I'm late but on time for Nika!! I love everything about her game, I think she makes a significant jump in her sophomore season. Her personality says she will not back down to competition but in fact will thrive under it.

Azzi is supposed to be all-world, she will have to be to keep Nika out of the starting line up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom