Megan Walker on Defense Against Memphis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker on Defense Against Memphis

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of my favorite things to watch when UConn is on defense is the secondary switches that take place off the ball. For instance if Crystal gets caught with a BIG on a ball screen, and the BIG drops down to the post, a Husky front court player will call a secondary switch picking up the BIG and passing off a smaller player to Crystal.

It’s a thing of beauty when done correctly, and nobody does it better than UConn.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite things to watch when UConn is on defense is the secondary switches that take place off the ball. For instance if Crystal gets caught with a BIG on a ball screen, and the BIG drops down to the post, a Husky front court player will call a secondary switch picking up the BIG and passing off a smaller player to Crystal.

It’s a thing of beauty when done correctly, and nobody does it better than UConn.

but boy is it ugly the few times it isn't................

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

thats great communication... then UConn run those same offensive play on teams and they dont switch, communicate and it becomes an easy lay-up for the Huskies

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It may look like UCONN is playing zone because they switch all over the floor not just on the ball. they switch on back screens and cuts like no team I have ever seen. At least the six starters (and Kayla) can do it. The freshmen (including Megan) get lost pretty often and someone (usually Kia or Lou) has to point them in the right direction.

Another reason that it looks like zone is the fabulous weak side help. When one player is beaten everyone else rotates as the weak side comes up. UCONN defense is terrific and, to me, the first thing that sets the team apart from every other team. (Second is the outstanding conditioning and then the unselfish offense)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
MKW gallops like Maya, I love it... she also does that hop-thingy when she has to get back on defense
Hop -thingy! That is a perfect description and I can just see her doing it when I read it. Thanks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hop -thingy! That is a perfect description and I can just see her doing it when I read it. Thanks.
I enjoy watching certain athletes just run. Maya and Megan are among them.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I would add Gabby to that list. The high knee kick and effortless speed of a world class track star is impossible to hide.

I was going to suggest adding Napheesa to the list of athletic gaits, then it occurred to me to wonder if UConn brings in a consultant/coach to teach running? I know of at least one college softball coach who did this with a good effect. His players ran faster, stole way more bases, and had fewer muscle strains and other issues. One of the things they fixed was stride length. The choppy running style is slower and harder on knees (he said). Because the basketball player runs more frequently than in softball, I would think that the benefit of a better running technique would be exponentially even greater.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was going to suggest adding Napheesa to the list of athletic gaits, then it occurred to me to wonder if UConn brings in a consultant/coach to teach running? I know of at least one college softball coach who did this with a good effect. His players ran faster, stole way more bases, and had fewer muscle strains and other issues. One of the things they fixed was stride length. The choppy running style is slower and harder on knees (he said). Because the basketball player runs more frequently than in softball, I would think that the benefit of a better running technique would be exponentially even greater.

"Napheesa Collier had a freshman track and field season at Jefferson City High last year that many senior standouts only dream about. She finished second in the triple jump (38-feet, 7½ inches), was sixth in the high jump (5-6) and was on the 1,600-meter relay team that took fourth."

NORTH COUNTY: Napheesa Collier, Incarnate Word

Reaction Score
Cannot wait to see Lou, Megan and CW in the court in 2018-2019.
How many times there are three #1 high school players play together in the same team?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"Napheesa Collier had a freshman track and field season at Jefferson City High last year that many senior standouts only dream about. She finished second in the triple jump (38-feet, 7½ inches), was sixth in the high jump (5-6) and was on the 1,600-meter relay team that took fourth."

Thanks, Coco. I think that clears things up. ;-)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom