Megan Walker on Defense Against Memphis | The Boneyard

Megan Walker on Defense Against Memphis

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought of putting this in the “good, bad, and ugly” thread, but it seemed to deserve a thread of its own.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned something really new and really good in today’s game. For this first time, when Megan Walker entered the game, UConn did NOT switch to a zone defense. Megan played in the usual switching man-to-man defense, just like her more experienced teammates.

Combined with her offensive game, this may be the most significant development this year for any of the freshman players. I think her previous inability to play in the usual defense has limited her minutes against the better teams. If they no longer have to suboptimize their defense to accommodate Meg’s limitations, that should clear the way for her to play maybe as much as 20 minutes a game henceforth.

And, I won’t say “I told you so” (OK, I was thinking it ...), but I think Mikayla’s minutes against Duquesne were not a fluke. It’s clear that she has moved past Molly on the depth chart, and if AEH is unavailable for any length of time, Mikayla is likely to surpass her also. Of course, she will make “freshman mistakes” (as Crystal did last year), but she can also make plays as long as she has the confidence to use her talent.

Now if Batouly can get geared up to play at the level that her talent suggests, the promise of a very deep team this year will really be fulfilled.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was glad to see Coombs get some time but, boy, her shot is really funky looking. She seems to hoist it from her waist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meg's comfort on the court is reflected in her post-game interview. Defense, offense, composure off the court. Easy to understand why she was so highly sought (OK, I'm a little slow). What a great kid.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was glad to see Coombs get some time but, boy, her shot is really funky looking. She seems hoist it from her waist.

I still see her as quite nervous on the court but she certainly has moved past Molly and should get decent opportunities in conference play. Her defense will define whatever minutes she gets.

Reaction Score
I still see her as quite nervous on the court but she certainly has moved past Molly and should get decent opportunities in conference play. Her defense will define whatever minutes she gets.
Molly just cannot handle the ball without turning it over. Forget about shooting. She will never do that. Maybe a fast-break lay-up or two, but not from the outside. She is still moving at a speed that keeps her out of control.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought of putting this in the “good, bad, and ugly” thread, but it seemed to deserve a thread of its own.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned something really new and really good in today’s game. For this first time, when Megan Walker entered the game, UConn did NOT switch to a zone defense. Megan played in the usual switching man-to-man defense, just like her more experienced teammates.

Combined with her offensive game, this may be the most significant development this year for any of the freshman players. I think her previous inability to play in the usual defense has limited her minutes against the better teams. If they no longer have to suboptimize their defense to accommodate Meg’s limitations, that should clear the way for her to play maybe as much as 20 minutes a game henceforth.

And, I won’t say “I told you so” (OK, I was thinking it ...), but I think Mikayla’s minutes against Duquesne were not a fluke. It’s clear that she has moved past Molly on the depth chart, and if AEH is unavailable for any length of time, Mikayla is likely to surpass her also. Of course, she will make “freshman mistakes” (as Crystal did last year), but she can also make plays as long as she has the confidence to use her talent.

Now if Batouly can get geared up to play at the level that her talent suggests, the promise of a very deep team this year will really be fulfilled.
@JoePgh the bolded statement is not correct. UCONN has actually played very little zone defense this year most notable in 4th Quarter of ND game. There is not automatic switch to zone once Megan enters the game. Nor do I think the UCONN defense is "suboptimized" with walker in the game because she is an instintive quality rebounder who is usually replacing two of the best rebounders in UCONN history in Gabby and Napheesa. Your overall point that the ability to effectively switch on perimeter defense is the most significant development "any" of the Freshmen could make is still valid and strong. In that regard Megan is of the same ability level as Freshmen Napheesa, KLS, & Gabby were 11 games into thier careers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@JoePgh the bolded statement is not correct. UCONN has actually played very little zone defense this year most notable in 4th Quarter of ND game. There is not automatic switch to zone once Megan enters the game. Nor do I think the UCONN defense is "suboptimized" with walker in the game because she is an instintive quality rebounder who is usually replacing two of the best rebounders in UCONN history in Gabby and Napheesa. Your overall point that the ability to effectively switch on perimeter defense is the most significant development "any" of the Freshmen could make is still valid and strong. In that regard Megan is of the same ability level as Freshmen Napheesa, KLS, & Gabby were 11 games into thier careers.
In at least 2-3 games, the defense switched to zone when Megan came in.

Reaction Score
I was glad to see Coombs get some time but, boy, her shot is really funky looking. She seems to hoist it from her waist.

I luckily had the opportunity to sit behind the UConn bench today - best seats ever at a game today..... Got to hear Geno talk to asst coaches during the game. Right before Coombs came out of game after her 1st entry today, he turned to CD & said she goes into game & has a couple,e good moments then doesn't make anything else happen for the rest of her stint & that can't happen. Pretty much then told Coombs the same thing when she came out of game.

Reaction Score

I like this entire post. I really like the highlighted paragraph on AEH , Walker, Coombs----your thinking falls in line with mine. Mikayla wasn't great today, but learning, and Geno obviously thinks so--he had her in the game early. M.Coombs has good floor vision, is quick, energetic, and a nose for the ball---now practice well kid and learn Geno's defense--]
AEH--home for he day, I read. In past games--I was more than favorably impressed with her play, shooting, and confidence--her defense and mixing with the starters was seemless.
As I watched Megan Walker today---I said to my wife, who was reading, I think I'll keep her. She will be in the 7 member mix and if AEH continues to improve--the 8th I believe. Poor Geno ---when he's not loading up with AA--he's making them.

Reaction Score
I like this entire post. I really like the highlighted paragraph on AEH , Walker, Coombs----your thinking falls in line with mine. Mikayla wasn't great today, but learning, and Geno obviously thinks so--he had her in the game early. M.Coombs has good floor vision, is quick, energetic, and a nose for the ball---now practice well kid and learn Geno's defense--]
AEH--home for he day, I read. In past games--I was more than favorably impressed with her play, shooting, and confidence--her defense and mixing with the starters was seemless.
As I watched Megan Walker today---I said to my wife, who was reading, I think I'll keep her. She will be in the 7 member mix and if AEH continues to improve--the 8th I believe. Poor Geno ---when he's not loading up with AA--he's making them.

My 1st post didn't really convey this, but Geno's talk to Coombs where she came out the 1st time was really positive; told her to make sure she doesn't miss opportunities to contribute.

Reaction Score
I luckily had the opportunity to sit behind the UConn bench today - best seats ever at a game today..... Got to hear Geno talk to asst coaches during the game. Right before Coombs came out of game after her 1st entry today, he turned to CD & said she goes into game & has a couple,e good moments then doesn't make anything else happen for the rest of her stint & that can't happen. Pretty much then told Coombs the same thing when she came out of game.

If that was the conversations Coombs GOT IT. Geno, from past history wants a kid to enter the game, make an impact and continue to play at a high level--but it's important to make the impact. Score a big shot, make a big stop---impact.

Reaction Score
My 1st post didn't really convey this, but Geno's talk to Coombs where she came out the 1st time was really positive; told her to make sure she doesn't miss opportunities to contribute.
Apparently, Coombs is picking up her own cheering section, add me. I am always happy when |Geno takes the time for a TEACHING moment--a chewing moment does less for a new kid than the teaching--Frosh are reeling from everything--and usually working or trying--Thanks---I like the TEACHING, she's worth every minute in the teaching box. Her up side from what I see, runs close to Moriah--I SAID CLOSE.

Reaction Score
I had to do some stuff right after the game, so I couldn't post a thread on Megan. So, I will add my 1.5 cents here.

I think she is going to be really, really, really good. I couldn't wait to see her play today. OK, so she comes in. We have the ball at some point, and MW gets it deep in the corner early in the shot clock. What does she do? Fire an attempt at a 3. Too early in the shot clock, says I. Well, what do I know. All net. And good arc, more than I have seen from her. It was fantastic for the rest of the game for her. OK, OK, except for the missed layup.

She has so much game and so much physical skill. She will be a help this year in the tournament. One cannot ask any freshman for more, except Maya and Stewie, etc.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Everything MW did today wreaked of confidence and ability, with the inexplicable exception of missing a wide open bunny underneath. The scary thing, for the rest of WBB, is that she’s just scratching the surface of how good she’ll be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had to do some stuff right after the game, so I couldn't post a thread on Megan. So, I will add my 1.5 cents here.

I think she is going to be really, really, really good. I couldn't wait to see her play today. OK, so she comes in. We have the ball at some point, and MW gets it deep in the corner early in the shot clock. What does she do? Fire an attempt at a 3. Too early in the shot clock, says I. Well, what do I know. All net. And good arc, more than I have seen from her. It was fantastic for the rest of the game for her. OK, OK, except for the missed layup.

She has so much game and so much physical skill. She will be a help this year in the tournament. One cannot ask any freshman for more, except Maya and Stewie, etc.
Yeah, Meg's shots had more arc today, which is a very good thing.

Reaction Score

You nailed it. I don't think it has anything to do with Walker-- more to do with the opponent, that she is a frosh, and the circumstance. It has nothing to so with "specifically" Meg Walker.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In at least 2-3 games, the defense switched to zone when Megan came in.
No that is not correct. All the replays are posted online which will verify my charting below.
upload_2017-12-31_23-35-6.png

Reaction Score
No that is not correct. All the replays are posted online which will verify my charting below.
View attachment 27409
post of the year. I like what JoePgh wrote, because I've been a huge Meg fan since her first appearance: I just love the way she moves on court. But I'm really glad Coco put to rest the notion that UConn needed to completely cover for her purported earlier lack of defensive knowledge.

Can I be the first to ask the ridiculous question of where she plays next year? Surely Z starts (assuming, which I think is a safe assumption, that she's back). Does Lou move to 2 guard? Not looking for an answer: it's a rhetorical question, designed to appreciate that Meg is soooo ready for prime time.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
post of the year. I like what JoePgh wrote, because I've been a huge Meg fan since her first appearance: I just love the way she moves on court. But I'm really glad Coco put to rest the notion that UConn needed to completely cover for her purported earlier lack of defensive knowledge.

Can I be the first to ask the ridiculous question of where she plays next year? Surely Z starts (assuming, which I think is a safe assumption, that she's back). Does Lou move to 2 guard? Not looking for an answer: it's a rhetorical question, designed to appreciate that Meg is soooo ready for prime time.
I think it's a toss up, but does it really matter, with both of them in the game it makes it harder to just guard the shooters.

Reaction Score
View attachment 27409

I think some folks might think they are watching a zone defense because it appears that UConn switches far more often then most teams.......once a defender is even slightly beaten on the dribble they simply switch with the next defender leading one to believe that they are defending space and not the individual.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think some folks might think they are watching a zone defense because it appears that UConn switches far more often then most teams..once a defender is even slightly beaten on the dribble they simply switch with the next defender leading one to believe that they are defending space and not the individual...
Very true. The other things that often confuses people is when UCONN is playing MM defense and the weakside (opposite the ball) defenders drop down in help position near the paint. This often looks looks like the UCONN weakside defenders are zoning up but they are not they are taking a well calculated risk to get in better help and rebounding position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom