MD Pregame Pressers | The Boneyard

MD Pregame Pressers

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"Like I told the players, the average fan might be obsessed with winning and losing, but in the middle of November I'm not obsessed with winning and losing, because if I was, we wouldn't play the schedule we're playing in November and December. It's not about winning and losing at this time of year. It's only about winning and losing in March."

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And it is amazing how two weeks ago us fans were so thrilled to have the players that we have and how good this team will be. Then the team has a hiccup and fans that I do and don't recognize are ready to bench Azzi, Nika and Caroline and suggest that maybe Geno is no longer the GOAT of WBB Coaches.
But alas, this seems to be an annual occurrence.
These players know what happened on Sunday, admit it and are ready to move forward. Same with Geno and his staff.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
"Like I told the players, the average fan might be obsessed with winning and losing, but in the middle of November I'm not obsessed with winning and losing, because if I was, we wouldn't play the schedule we're playing in November and December. It's not about winning and losing at this time of year. It's only about winning and losing in March."
I edited it to what I think he meant: "...and NOT losing in March." :)
Regardless, it is my average fan obsession.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Random thoughts:
1. Geno doesn't know how difficult a team will be, when the game is scheduled. When did UConn schedule a home and home with N.C. State? I don't think it was only the fans that were surprised by N.C. State performance.

2. I don't expect Geno to admit it, but a part of the reason UConn schedules a difficult OOC schedule is because they have a weak conference schedule. This started with the move to the AAC. How did their OOC schedule before that compare with the last few years?

Reaction Score
Random thoughts:
1. Geno doesn't know how difficult a team will be, when the game is scheduled. When did UConn schedule a home and home with N.C. State? I don't think it was only the fans that were surprised by N.C. State performance.

2. I don't expect Geno to admit it, but a part of the reason UConn schedules a difficult OOC schedule is because they have a weak conference schedule. This started with the move to the AAC. How did their OOC schedule before that compare with the last few years?
He still scheduled top teams even when the Big East was a powerhouse conference…

sun

Reaction Score
Geno previously said "STFU & just win" but now he says it doesn't matter rif they win in November or not.
Previously Ice was touted as being an "old school player" & now Geno says that she's trying to find herself.
All of the starters were upperclassmen but he says you never know where the defensive weakness are going to be until after the game is played & then he makes adjustments for the next game.
He didn't seem to want to admit that UConn was beat by a better & more talented opponent & didn't seem to take responsibility for it because winning or losing in November doesn't matter.
But he didn't begin the season by saying "STFU & just lose."
The media doesn't presssure Geno to answer hard questions, & when they do he deflects by talking about nostalgia.
He used profanity again refering to Cheli's recruitment which IMO is crass.
I wonder if that's a turnoff or a warning sign for players & recruits who come from a devout background, espcially from the southern US.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Random thoughts:

It is possible to check on schedules as far back as 1987-1988 by going to the schedule page on the UConn Women`s BB website and clicking the arrow next to 2023-2024.

I spent a few minutes checking random schedules from prior years. I can`t find any of them where the pre-Christmas OOC schedule is more difficult than what they have signed onto for in 2023-2024. In many years, the early schedule was not difficult, although Stanford was often an early season test. We have always scheduled some tough out of conference games at some point during the season though.

In part the difficult schedule is a function of there simply being more quality programs now than ever before. But only in part, it is a conscious decision that he has made.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Like I told the players, the average fan might be obsessed with winning and losing, but in the middle of November I'm not obsessed..because if I was, we wouldn't play the schedule we're playing in November and December. It's not about winning and losing at this time of year. It's only about winning and losing in March."
@temery Can we post the quote to the top of the board?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
@temery Can we post the quote to the top of the board?
Aw, thanks @HuskyNan. Just wanted to share with those who may have not seen the interview. There was lots of good stuff in there. I especially appreciated his comments about "getting players under control", but more on that later. :D

Reaction Score
And it is amazing how two weeks ago us fans were so thrilled to have the players that we have and how good this team will be. Then the team has a hiccup and fans that I do and don't recognize are ready to bench Azzi, Nika and Caroline and suggest that maybe Geno is no longer the GOAT of WBB Coaches.
But alas, this seems to be an annual occurrence.
These players know what happened on Sunday, admit it and are ready to move forward. Same with Geno and his staff.
Please don't congeal us into being a bunch of Chicken Littles. A lot of us believe that the lineup as presently constituted, is not sustainable UNLESS we get more productivity from the 3 guards--they totaled all of 15 points, played immensely poor on defense and did not rebound. We had no interior defense and several players looked completely listless and had the same "where can I duck out?" countenance that was so obvious during the tOSU game.

This lapse was attributed to all the injuries and mental fatigue of last season, but now in the second game of the new season, here we see the same lack of critical focus again. I have watched UConn teams since the mid-90s and I have never seen two consecutive lack of effort games in the previous 25 years, so pardon me and others if we aren't a bit alarmed by being soundly beaten and outclassed by two quality teams, TWICE in a row. Some hiccup. So, this isn't knee jerk reaction on our part. Listen again to Dorka's tOSU post-game presser--she all but said that none of her teammates wanted to step up and seem to be looking for a way out. This is exactly what I witnessed in the NC State game on Sunday.

I am sincerely hoping that the starters do improve significantly--give appreciable effort. They certainly are capable of it. If not, I hope Geno has a quick hook tomorrow and will give other players opportunities to contribute...

Reaction Score
Not a doom & gloomer but I might start becoming one if we see the same team effort on Thursday! However, I’m betting we won’t. I think we will see a far more focused team tomorrow and I doubt the game will be in doubt at the end. I think Sunday was a real slap in the face and the whole team is pissed! I especially think Paige is enraged and it will not surprise me to see her come with a special performance tomorrow evening! I also doubt we will see Azzi & Caroline shoot 5 for 16 and 1 for 9 again! I’m still concerned for the long run but I do feel pretty confident about Maryland. Let’s deal with them first and then we can start worrying about Minnesota and UCLA.

Reaction Score
Please don't congeal us into being a bunch of Chicken Littles. A lot of us believe that the lineup as presently constituted, is not sustainable UNLESS we get more productivity from the 3 guards--they totaled all of 15 points, played immensely poor on defense and did not rebound. We had no interior defense and several players looked completely listless and had the same "where can I duck out?" countenance that was so obvious during the tOSU game.

This lapse was attributed to all the injuries and mental fatigue of last season, but now in the second game of the new season, here we see the same lack of critical focus again. I have watched UConn teams since the mid-90s and I have never seen two consecutive lack of effort games in the previous 25 years, so pardon me and others if we aren't a bit alarmed by being soundly beaten and outclassed by two quality teams, TWICE in a row. Some hiccup. So, this isn't knee jerk reaction on our part. Listen again to Dorka's tOSU post-game presser--she all but said that none of her teammates wanted to step up and seem to be looking for a way out. This is exactly what I witnessed in the NC State game on Sunday.

I am sincerely hoping that the starters do improve significantly--give appreciable effort. They certainly are capable of it. If not, I hope Geno has a quick hook tomorrow and will give other players opportunities to contribute...
UConn played 3 guards most of the game and Bueckers alone had 27. This loss belongs to the team defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom