McDonald's AA Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

McDonald's AA Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The really great ones stand out. I didn't see anyone in that category.
True dat. I did not see a Moore, DT, Stewart or Parker there.

Next year maybe?

Reaction Score
HUSFAN: you sure earned your keep with those observations. Appreciated here - we were fotunate to have you on scene.

UCM: Nice to get your well-schooled take as well...thank you.

Reaction Score
McDonald's Girls AA game is tonight. 7:00 ESPNU. Set your DVRs.

UCONN has 1 player playing - Sadie Edwards (#14 East). Gabby Williams (#1 West) will be there, but can't play due to her knee injury. (Nurse - Canadian, and Ekmark - did not play HS ball were not eligible to be selected.)

Also #1A'ja Wilson (#22 East) will be playing. Some others to watch for:

Notre Dame's - #2Brianna Turner (#11 West) and #20Kathryn Westbeld (#33 East)
South Carolina's - #32Bianca Cuavas (#1 East) and #7Jatarie White (#40 East)
UCLA's (3) - #5Jordin Canada (#21 West), Recee Caldwell (#5 West), and #9Lajahna Drummer (#12 West)
Duke's - Lynee Belton (#34 East) and #11Sierra Calhoun (#4 East)
Tennessee's - #27Alexa Middleton (#23 East) and #14Jaime Nared (#30 West)
Louisville's - #23Myisah Hines-Allen (#2 East)
Ohio State's - #3 Kelsey Mitchell (#3 East)

Rankings (per Vowelguy's composite), numbers/team in parenthesis.
My take on last night. Yes, it was only 1 game, so this is no reflection of the player they will become. Turner was very good. Impressed with Atkins and the kid going to Fl State was awesome (should have been MVP). Edwards didn't seem to have a great game.
The female announcer talked about how well TN developed bigs, how SC would be loaded with Aja, and how NC would be with Aja and Diamond together, and 100 times how amazing UCLA's class is #1. Think she doesn't want Aja at Uconn? No mention that Aja Stewart, and Kiah would probably break the shot blocking record Uconn established this year or that Aja at Uconn would make them the #1 class. They said only 3 of Uconn's 4 recruits are in the top 100 (forgot to mention the other one is on the Canadian Olympic team)
TN kids Middleton - lots of skill, will score, but being small and not super fast will need help getting open. Nared will be a very solid post, not a superstar, think Kiah.
S. Carolina will have to live or die with Cuavas who reminds me of the PG a few years ago from NYC who went to Ohio State, lots of moves, talent, but she will have to show the ability to be great when things slow down.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
S. Carolina will have to live or die with Cuavas who reminds me of the PG a few years ago from NYC who went to Ohio State, lots of moves, talent, but she will have to show the ability to be great when things slow down.
Samantha Prahalis (SammyP) - that was my first thought as well but I think it is unfair - she had mad skills but was not a very coachable kid, and her emotions ruled her play from highest of highs to complete melt downs.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My string of MikeyD turn offs before halftime is alive. The whistle could have blown twice on every possession. I would have enjoyed seeing a ball handler actually move laterally. Was like wind sprints with basketballs. Obvious athleticism all around. I think there were a few people on that court that were farther along than Wilson but I don't think quick impressions are reliable. When you look at Williams at Duke and Russell at Tennessee it is good to remember that high school athlete rankings are fragmented and highly subjective very often. Glad Wilson gave a few tid bits out without saying too much. Should be good for another 150 posts in the current A'ja sighting string. :rolleyes:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That's a flagrant foul. Way too harsh and premature. We ALL know Geno prefers not to start frosh (like most coaches) unless absolutely necessitated by adverse circumstance, but how about we allow her to set foot on campus before making unsubstantiated judgements.

CCC397025.jpg

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
GENO: Not to worry. MYERS and I have a strange and wonderful occasional relationship. He has been wooing me for years, and I've finally come to see him for what he is. As he likes to say: "They all come around eventually." Even slow learners like myself.
I figured as much! I'm hoping to develop a friend on the board before I kick the bucket! Soon to be 56- hope I have enough time!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I watched the first half and couldn't take any more. The uniforms were UGLY and the numbers were impossible to read so it was hard to tell who was who. And the play was typical of these things - really ugly with just a few nice passes.
Meyers - that looks like a pretty good take on the players that I noticed during the first half. Agree about Middleton and those were the comparisons I thought of too, but I think she may be height challenged - she is listed at 5'8" but I thought the announcers said she was shorter.
Cuevas definitely has some NYC in her game - first though was SammyP but that is probably unfair.
Belton and Thomas both look to have college ready builds and some skill
Wilson and Turner are likely to have Stewart type struggles their first year in college dealing with the physicality - neither have Stewarts mad talent nor experience coming in, but they both have similar body types and could develop well. Unless they really change their body types over their college careers, no one is going to want to play them at center nor as a traditional power forward. Neither have the bulk of a Stef or even an Achonwa, nor the muscle of a Thomas or Chiney.
I agree; I've always said A'ja will be best at small forward.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Samantha Prahalis (SammyP) - that was my first thought as well but I think it is unfair - she had mad skills but was not a very coachable kid, and her emotions ruled her play from highest of highs to complete melt downs.
Bianca definitely needs her game refined, but Dawn Staley has such a similar background, I think they'll really be able to relate to each other.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I figured as much! I'm hoping to develop a friend on the board before I kick the bucket! Soon to be 56- hope I have enough time!
still a kid next to me,i am 63

Reaction Score
after watching a bit of the first half, i found myself wondering what on earth the purpose of this game is. if it's supposed to highlight what these best high school players can do, it fails miserably. watching brianna turner grabbing a rebound and madly dribbling the length of the court( 2 or 3 straight possessions) reminded me of some youth league game where there is one player bigger and stronger than everybody else. i thought the whole thing was pointless.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
A front line of Coates, White, and Wilson could be "hands down" the best front line in the SEC going forward
Don't forget Aleighsa Welch. She is our best player, in my opinion, even though Tiffany Mitchell was SEC POTY. Alaina Coates will likely be the best next season, though, as she has more upside.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't forget Aleighsa Welch. She is our best player, in my opinion, even though Tiffany Mitchell was SEC POTY. Alaina Coates will likely be the best next season, though, as she has more upside.
Welch and Mitchell are good players. I'm not impressed with the SEC so POY (the T is silent) doesn't move me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Welch and Mitchell are good players. I'm not impressed with the SEC so POY (the T is silent) doesn't move me.
It's all cyclical and I didn't realize abbreviations were subject to strict interpretation by the Oxford English Dictionary.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's all cyclical and I didn't realize abbreviations were subject to strict interpretation by the Oxford English Dictionary.
It was a joke. Was your response a joke too?

What is cyclical? The SEC level of play? Of course it is. That doesn't change my opinion that they were overrated this year as was USC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree; I've always said A'ja will be best at small forward.
Don't see it. She really is likely a Stewart type player - a non-traditional power forward. She doesn't appear to have Breanna's ball skills (which is not a criticism - no other 6'3+ player does at this point) and you still don't want Stewart dribbling in traffic. She does have an outside shot, but not the foot speed to defend against a third guard or a fast wing player. Yes, Uconn plays a three big line-up for short stretches in games, but when they do it is almost always zone defense because of that. Stewart for all her skill cannot stop wings from penetrating when she is defending one on one at the three point line.
Where ever she plays college ball she is going to have to get stronger so she can defend a Chiney type player, and develop an inside game as well as her outside skills. She might not need it in college, but if she wants to be a great pro, she will get matched up on players like Maya, or Thomas and if she doesn't have the strength and the inside game they will eat her alive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't see it. She really is likely a Stewart type player - a non-traditional power forward.
Yea, from what I have seen of her that sounds about right. Probably a 4/3 more toward a 4 though.

Where ever she plays college ball she is going to have to get stronger so she can defend a Chiney type player, and develop an inside game as well as her outside skills. She might not need it in college, but if she wants to be a great pro, she will get matched up on players like Maya, or Thomas and if she doesn't have the strength and the inside game they will eat her alive.
Agree, but she's not going to be playing Moore or Thomas for a few years. So we'll see how she develops. She's got a good 4 years before she really has to worry about that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Some fans have taken it to mean she that losing in the NCAA's indicates who "needs her" the most and that could be favorable for Tenn and SC. I say bull$hit but everyone will know by mid-april... Oh, and of course, the inevitable comments that UCONN would only stick her in the post to replace Dolson. Um... ok...:confused:

Who are you going to stick in the post to replace Dolson? I just don't see Stokes being the player to fill that role.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who are you going to stick in the post to replace Dolson? I just don't see Stokes being the player to fill that role.
Stokes will fill it admirably and effectively, though with less passing skill and less offensive orientation. She may be the best defender since Griner and a better rebounder. The following year is the bigger question.

U

UCONNfan1

Really? Stokes does not have the same game as Dolson that's correct. She's not the facilitator or passer Dolson is. She doesn't have the same offensive range, but she's probably the best defensive center in the nation. I have no doubt next season when she's playing 25+ minutes per game, Stokes can easily average 8-10 PPG, and when you are surrounded by KML, Moriah, Breanna, and the rest of the offensive minded players, she won't be needed to score 20+...

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Really? Stokes does not have the same game as Dolson that's correct. She's not the facilitator or passer Dolson is. She doesn't have the same offensive range, but she's probably the best defensive center in the nation. I have no doubt next season when she's playing 25+ minutes per game, Stokes can easily average 8-10 PPG, and when you are surrounded by KML, Moriah, Breanna, and the rest of the offensive minded players, she won't be needed to score 20+...
Agree. Kiah will be our starting senior center and I'd push her minutes up to at least 30+ as likely. Right now she's averaging 18.6 minutes a game, 7.2 boards, 4.4 pts. and 2.3 blocks. We all know she is a rebounding, shot blocking titan and undoubtedly the 3rd, 4th or 5th scoring option next year. However, with more minutes and a better opportunity to get into the flow of the game offensively, I'd up her points next year into the 13-15 range. She'll be collecting a lot more O rebounds and getting fouled a lot more, and she happens to be an excellent foul shooter with a .756 avg.

Kiah is a double-double waiting to happen every night. My guess, she'll average 13 pts., 4 blocks and 12 boards. Given the surrounding cast members, that'll be more than adequate! :)

Reaction Score

She's not going to "fill" Dolson's role. Dolson's role will be filled by a combination of Stokes/Tuck and Stewie. Stewie will get better. Stokes will get better. Tuck's abilities will be an addition. Then of course if we get Wilson . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom