McDonald's AA Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McDonald's AA Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Strange, no comments on how Wilson played tonight.
She played an ok game. Nothing spectacular, but she did show excellent natural raw ability. With the right development, she will be a great player. Reminds me of Tina Charles. Geno can help.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Time for my annual trip down memory lane. Can't believe it's been seven years already. And Maya didn't even win MOP.

Whatever happened to her? :)

I know those are highlights, but she drains jumpshots, including from the arc; she beats everyone down court and puts up the finger roll without touching the ball with the left hand; and she makes a steal under the basket and converts. She did all of those with regularity at UConn. That game showed she was ready. A year later, she was a consensus AP All-American.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Um, any other observations about the game...?

Reaction Score
I don't think that was meant sarcastically! ( I'm winking)

GENO: Not to worry. MYERS and I have a strange and wonderful occasional relationship. He has been wooing me for years, and I've finally come to see him for what he is. As he likes to say: "They all come around eventually." Even slow learners like myself.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My observations. Wilson has plenty of talent. Needs to get stronger though. Got her shot blocked a few times. But also blocked a couple shots. Shot from outside pretty good. Can dribble up the court. 10 points 9 rebounds.

Shakayla Thomas looks the most ready to play at the next level. She has a college body already. Quick, fast, can finish, very athletic. Florida St got one that's gonna walk right into the starting line-up. We'll see how she does against other athletic college players. But with her college ready body, it was easy for her against HS players here. Scored 19 points, had 4 rebounds, 2-3 blocks.

Lynee Belton looks like she'll fit right in at Duke too. Worked hard around the basket. Had some decent moves in the lane. Rebounded.

Brianna Turner looked a lot like Wilson. Tall, thin, can dribble, drive, block shots (blocked Wilson at least twice), actually outplayed Wilson in this game. She'll help ND. Had a double double got MVP. Guess you can't give it to the losing team (Thomas).

Ariel Atkins is really good. Nice shot. Good runner shot. Long, athletic. Texas got a good one. She'll play a lot next year too.

Jaime Nared did a nice job. Quiet, but scored 15 points. Tennessee's other one, Middleton, worked hard, but didn't have a real good night. But then it's not really her type of game. She's a playmaker/passer (it seems) and a spot up shooter. And this game was pretty much, "I got the ball so I'm gonna try to score". She reminds me a bit of a McDivett or Clemons. Could be good for TN.

Jordan Canada (UCLA), Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio St) looked good. Good quick guards. Bianca Cuevas (S. Carolina) is quick, real quick (Jefferson quick). Little though. Got some swagger to her too. Staley will have fun working with her.

Chatrice White (IL) and Jatarie White (S Carolina) worked hard. I think C White had 9-10 rebounds. J White had a nice 10 foot jumper.

Those are the ones that stood out to me.

Sadie Edwards, I don't think scored. She drove into a crowd a couple times at the start of the game. Later did the same but got fouled. Missed both shots. Didn't seem like this was her type of game. Looked like she would play better in a more organized game. Lots of UCONN players come across like that in this type of game, they don't seem comfortable in games like this. Too much 1v1, no team concept. I did notice her sticking to her defensive assignment though, and pointing out players for her teammates to pick up on the defensive end. But there wasn't much defense being played, other than girls trying to block shots. But moving feet, staying in front of players, rotating, etc. ......nope, none of them. But it's an All Star game...sooo......that's what you get. Edwards didn't bring the ball up at all.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
^I can already tell that Bianca Cuevas will be my favorite player other than Aleighsa Welch and Alaina Coates. I like my ball players to have a little swagger, even when it's WBB. I've quit trying to figure out what A'ja's comments mean. The 16th will be interesting.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Agree that Sadie didn't look like she was an "all-star game" type of player. Will probably start out as a good "glue" player at UCONN, picking her spots etc. Obviously a ton of talent around her next year, and I think that will be good for her. Her leadership qualities and strong all-around playmaking skills could come out more as time goes on.

Who knows, maybe she could have been a player who could have come on and carried a big load as a frosh like Bria, but I think Bria was pretty special in that respect. Lucky for Sadie she won't have to find out :)

Reaction Score
When asked again tonight (just now) what the deciding factors in her decision will be, Aja states her desire to find a school where she can have the best possible relationship with the coach (she also hints at the coach's quality as being a big factor) and, secondly, asks the question, "What can the school do for me afterwards? To help me get to the next level?" The latter point, at least, has been something she highlighted before. Good to hear that this point was top-of-mind for her when answering the question again courtside.

I like what i'm hearing so far this evening.
Basically what I heard too. The interviewer Quint Kessenich asked her: ""The lone undeclared athlete here, what's it been like for you playing around all these athletes who know where they'll be going?"

A'ja replied, "It's been great, they haven't pressured me at all. and it's been a lot of fun, 'cause they kinda know and they understand that why I'm undeclared. It's a tough decision and I have to find the school that's right for me so they understand and I respect them for that. It's been a lot of fun...".

Quint: "What's the critical factor in terms of your decision that you'll make on April 16th?"

She replied, "It's really just a little (next word sounded like 'people" but it wasn't clear). I mean everybody has the best facilities and of course the top coaches to the top D1 schools so I guess it's a little ?indistinguishable word? My relationship with the coach. How I'm going to get along with the coaches. Also, what can the school do for me after I graduate. And what can they do to take me to the next level so realy these are going to be the key factors in me making my decision."

Quint: "What type of advice has your dad Roscoe given you?"

She smiled and said, Um. "He's given me a lot of advice, just saying just stay humble, always, always want more and don't take anything for granted, Thant's the number one thing because anything can be taken away from you in the blink of an eye. And that also what I learned here where we've been to the Ronald McDonald house for the kids that don't have that opportunity. So really, don't take anything for granted.

Quint: Tremendous maturity and grace, Thank you.

That's it. Quite a poised young lady.

Reaction Score
MYERS: Wow....Dude.....twice in one evening! Twice on one thread even. Really good stuff .....best meat in the thread.
Wonder if you oughta hang it up until next year's Mickey D game??

Reaction Score
BEST: Very nice report as well. With the announcers not bothering to tell you which player was doing what, and the style of play, I turned game off during first half. Appreciated your detail here.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I was bowling tonight. Had my high series with a 200-202-200 602.

I did DVR it,but I'll probably just look for the Wilson interview and try to fill in the blanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I watched the first half and couldn't take any more. The uniforms were UGLY and the numbers were impossible to read so it was hard to tell who was who. And the play was typical of these things - really ugly with just a few nice passes.
Meyers - that looks like a pretty good take on the players that I noticed during the first half. Agree about Middleton and those were the comparisons I thought of too, but I think she may be height challenged - she is listed at 5'8" but I thought the announcers said she was shorter.
Cuevas definitely has some NYC in her game - first though was SammyP but that is probably unfair.
Belton and Thomas both look to have college ready builds and some skill
Wilson and Turner are likely to have Stewart type struggles their first year in college dealing with the physicality - neither have Stewarts mad talent nor experience coming in, but they both have similar body types and could develop well. Unless they really change their body types over their college careers, no one is going to want to play them at center nor as a traditional power forward. Neither have the bulk of a Stef or even an Achonwa, nor the muscle of a Thomas or Chiney.

Reaction Score
Atkins is the real deal. IMO, she is better than Turner.

I thought Atkins was best.

Though Turner looks real good. Wilson didn't play so hot but I remember what I read this summer. At a glance these two can play pf. Not enough to draw a conclusion if they can be sf's. But I suspect with ND or UCONN - if Weilo goes and ofc Turner is going- the coaches will encourage a face-up game and a post-up game.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Ok Boneyarder's!!

We stayed for the boys game. Feed the monsters (children) and now for an update. First and foremost, its an interesting game. I think each team shot 20% (a lot of missed shots). It took me about 10 minutes to figure the players out because the numbers when catching the light and were really hard to make out. So this took me some time to figure out who was who. I will comment on the players that stood out in the live to me and then I will add some tidbits about the UCONN commits/recruit.

Jordin Canada--WOW. She was dandy. Looked and acted like a true PG. She impressed me with her passing and heady play. UCLA got a great player in her. There was something about how she handled herself on the court and how she was always looking up. She was just impressive. I know Turner won MVP but Canada was the best player on the West squad in my eyes.

Shakayla Thomas--ATHLETE. Explosive! If the Canada was the best player on West, Thomas was for the East. She was fast on offense and defense. Nice moves to the basket. Just and all around athletic smart player. Had the East won she would have been MVP.

Ariel Atkins--She is really gonna help Texas. Smart player. Good Athlete. Drives to basket, mid range game was there. Fearless.

Post Players:

Interesting thing I was most interested in Aja Wilson and Brianna Turner. I came away impressed with 2 players I knew least about Chatrice White and Alyssia Rice. White I had never heard of had a lot of rebounds. No idea how many but she is a smart player. Rice was the first player I noticed when I saw them warming up. Big strong body, had some nice blocks. I don't think either of them scored that much but I liked both their games. Just good solid fundamental basketball.

What is interesting about the post players is that in HS most of them probably are used to bringing the ball up the court with ease because they are so much more athletic and better players. It was interesting seeing them do this when they are playing with equally athletic guards. Turner tried this the most. Many times she tried to lead a fast break or take the ball the distance and she struggled with handling in the open court with the fast athletic guards.

Cuevas(South Carolina) and McCarty (Texas) are small PG's. Cuevas is a daring PG. She will need to learn to play team ball and pass but this is hardly the game to bring that up.

Cowling (California) looked good. Made a monster block that got an applause from the crowd. She scored in double figures I am sure.

For our Duke Fans: Belton will be like Chidom or McCravey. Strong post player.

UCONN Commits/Recruit:

Edwards started so I was expecting her to be electric. She made some nice drives to the basket but that was about it. I think ( like most of them) she was trying to hard. She strikes me as the kind of player, particularly point guard, that does well in a structured offense where she knows what to do and what is expected. A couple of times I saw her trying to direct traffic but in a game like this its too much individual basketball and not a lot of offense execution. I think she will be good at UCONN under GA and staff.

Williams was not using crutches which made me happy!!! She is a legit 6ft and was smiling on the bench and very supportive of her teammates. Wish I could of seen her play but we got plenty of time for that.

Wilson-Raw talent is obvious. She needs to get upper body strength to take contact in the paint. This is where I noticed Chatrice White and Alyssia Rice. Rice blocked her shot and she couldn't move either one of them out of the way for a rebound or shot. Just a strength thing that will come at the next level. She will be a truly special player. I hope she choses UCONN. Her and Stewart would be a formidable tandem.

I hope you enjoyed this little recap. If there is anyone player you wanna know about just drop me a line and I will tell you what I saw.

GO UCONN!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok Boneyarder's!!

We stayed for the boys game. Feed the monsters (children) and now for an update. First and foremost, its an interesting game. I think each team shot 20% (a lot of missed shots). It took me about 10 minutes to figure the players out because the numbers when catching the light and were really hard to make out. So this took me some time to figure out who was who. I will comment on the players that stood out in the live to me and then I will add some tidbits about the UCONN commits/recruit.

Jordin Canada--WOW. She was dandy. Looked and acted like a true PG. She impressed me with her passing and heady play. UCLA got a great player in her. There was something about how she handled herself on the court and how she was always looking up. She was just impressive. I know Turner won MVP but Canada was the best player on the West squad in my eyes.

Shakayla Thomas--ATHLETE. Explosive! If the Canada was the best player on West, Thomas was for the East. She was fast on offense and defense. Nice moves to the basket. Just and all around athletic smart player. Had the East won she would have been MVP.

Ariel Atkins--She is really gonna help Texas. Smart player. Good Athlete. Drives to basket, mid range game was there. Fearless.

Post Players:

Interesting thing I was most interested in Aja Wilson and Brianna Turner. I came away impressed with 2 players I knew least about Chatrice White and Alyssia Rice. White I had never heard of had a lot of rebounds. No idea how many but she is a smart player. Rice was the first player I noticed when I saw them warming up. Big strong body, had some nice blocks. I don't think either of them scored that much but I liked both their games. Just good solid fundamental basketball.

What is interesting about the post players is that in HS most of them probably are used to bringing the ball up the court with ease because they are so much more athletic and better players. It was interesting seeing them do this when they are playing with equally athletic guards. Turner tried this the most. Many times she tried to lead a fast break or take the ball the distance and she struggled with handling in the open court with the fast athletic guards.

Cuevas(South Carolina) and McCarty (Texas) are small PG's. Cuevas is a daring PG. She will need to learn to play team ball and pass but this is hardly the game to bring that up.

Cowling (California) looked good. Made a monster block that got an applause from the crowd. She scored in double figures I am sure.

For our Duke Fans: Belton will be like Chidom or McCravey. Strong post player.

UCONN Commits/Recruit:

Edwards started so I was expecting her to be electric. She made some nice drives to the basket but that was about it. I think ( like most of them) she was trying to hard. She strikes me as the kind of player, particularly point guard, that does well in a structured offense where she knows what to do and what is expected. A couple of times I saw her trying to direct traffic but in a game like this its too much individual basketball and not a lot of offense execution. I think she will be good at UCONN under GA and staff.

Williams was not using crutches which made me happy!!! She is a legit 6ft and was smiling on the bench and very supportive of her teammates. Wish I could of seen her play but we got plenty of time for that.

Wilson-Raw talent is obvious. She needs to get upper body strength to take contact in the paint. This is where I noticed Chatrice White and Alyssia Rice. Rice blocked her shot and she couldn't move either one of them out of the way for a rebound or shot. Just a strength thing that will come at the next level. She will be a truly special player. I hope she choses UCONN. Her and Stewart would be a formidable tandem.

I hope you enjoyed this little recap. If there is anyone player you wanna know about just drop me a line and I will tell you what I saw.

GO UCONN!!!
Nicely done. Pretty much agree with everything you saw.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
that wont happen when she gets to UConn... so she better enjoy it #GenoRules
That's a flagrant foul. Way too harsh and premature. We ALL know Geno prefers not to start frosh (like most coaches) unless absolutely necessitated by adverse circumstance, but how about we allow her to set foot on campus before making unsubstantiated judgements.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The really great ones stand out. I didn't see anyone in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom