2023 Recruiting: - Matt Curtis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Matt Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
In my day Fermi was an L in the CCC East, Enfield High was tiny (early-mid2000s)

I graduated in 03 and Enfield was consistently a class L

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I graduated in 03 and Enfield was consistently a class L
Really? I must be misremembering. I went to Rockville which is now M I believe, was L in my day. Crazy to think that Ellington and Tolland have grown beyond it and joined the CCC East and RHS has dropped to the NCCC and doesn’t even play South Windsor anymore!!? I hear that their big rival is East Granby now!?!

Someone mentioned Dan Trubia a couple posts up. He was a few years ahead of me but I competed against his brother Tony who was certainly good but not up to his brother’s level. I think he went D3. In those days we didn’t play against Tolland or Ellington in high school ball but always did in fall ball and All Stars. The demo of those town was so much more blue collar and we considered those kids hicks. Not so much the case anymore. The teams were always pesky and tough to beat even though we (Vernon kids) always felt like should be able to crush them.

the Q

Reaction Score
Really? I must be misremembering. I went to Rockville which is now M I believe, was L in my day. Crazy to think that Ellington and Tolland have grown beyond it and joined the CCC East and RHS has dropped to the NCCC and doesn’t even play South Windsor anymore!!? I hear that their big rival is East Granby now!?!

Someone mentioned Dan Trubia a couple posts up. He was a few years ahead of me but I competed against his brother Tony who was certainly good but not up to his brother’s level. I think he went D3. In those days we didn’t play against Tolland or Ellington in high school ball but always did in fall ball and All Stars. The demo of those town was so much more blue collar and we considered those kids hicks. Not so much the case anymore. The teams were always pesky and tough to beat even though we (Vernon kids) always felt like should be able to crush them.

Yeah they were already changing slowly and there was some big Pratt expansions around 2000 that skyrocketed the Change. But there was always a small contingent of Glastonbury wannabes in small towns like those too, granby was the same way.

That’s not fair to tony, Dan was one of the best players to come out the area in a while (him and pollack are the two best off the top of my head). Just a crazy natural athlete.

Rockville always had some talent when I played them. Cravenho could mash. Leonard was a good c. And there was a never ending line of kuckuchka brothers with sick breaking balls.

Plus the 8 foot 7 freeman who could pitch and was a good hoop player.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah they were already changing slowly and there was some big Pratt expansions around 2000 that skyrocketed the Change. But there was always a small contingent of Glastonbury wannabes in small towns like those too, granby was the same way.

That’s not fair to tony, Dan was one of the best players to come out the area in a while (him and pollack are the two best off the top of my head). Just a crazy natural athlete.

Rockville always had some talent when I played them. Cravenho could mash. Leonard was a good c. And there was a never ending line of kuckuchka brothers with sick breaking balls.

RHS took state in Class L in 2000 with Leonard winning Gatorade player of the year. Had a great career at UConn and had a couple good years in A and AA but never quite caught up to pro pitching and had a couple very unfortunate family events that derailed his career. Jeremy Freeman was definitely imposing on the Hill at like 6’8.

Playing little league at the time, guys like Cravenho and Leonard were killing and they were mini-celebrities. The baseball culture in that town was crazy at the time. Two huge little leagues and EVERYONE played.

My freshman year baseball season was 2003 and just being a little used JV pitcher was decent for clout around town/school. Guys like Freeman, Jamie Kukucka, and Mike Tingley (who may have been the best pitcher of all, Lefty who could bring it in the upper 80s when he was like 15) were on there way out and I’m not sure the baseball in that town has ever come back.

NOT TO TURN THIS THREAD INTO ANOTHER ROCKVILLE HIGH YEARBOOK

the Q

Reaction Score
RHS took state in Class L in 2000 with Leonard winning Gatorade player of the year. Had a great career at UConn and had a couple good years in A and AA but never quite caught up to pro pitching and had a couple very unfortunate family events that derailed his career. Jeremy Freeman was definitely imposing on the Hill at like 6’8.

Playing little league at the time, guys like Cravenho and Leonard were killing and they were mini-celebrities. The baseball culture in that town was crazy at the time. Two huge little leagues and EVERYONE played.

My freshman year baseball season was 2003 and just being a little used JV pitcher was decent for clout around town/school. Guys like Freeman, Jamie Kukucka, and Mike Tingley (who may have been the best pitcher of all, Lefty who could bring it in the upper 80s when he was like 15) were on there way out and I’m not sure the baseball in that town has ever come back.

NOT TO TURN THIS THREAD INTO ANOTHER ROCKVILLE HIGH YEARBOOK

Dude..Tingley was freaking good!

I don’t think he threw that hard or he would’ve been at UConn. I’d guess he was 81-85 when I played him (pre Tommy John). But dude could put it anywhere he wanted. Located that fastball like a beast. Just pinpoint.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Dude..Tingley was freaking good!

I don’t think he threw that hard or he would’ve been at UConn. I’d guess he was 81-85 when I played him (pre Tommy John). But dude could put it anywhere he wanted. Located that fastball like a beast. Just pinpoint.
May have been a bit high but was definitely humming it in at least 85. Nasty slider too but like you said needed TJ after freshman year. Didn’t pitch sophomore year and never quite got that mojo back.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
He's a sophomore this year, 14 years old, wouldn't that make him 2023?

My son is 15 (young for his age in his class) and is a Sophomore. If he is 14 as a Sophmore he has a ton of growth he can do.

Reaction Score
My son is 15 (young for his age in his class) and is a Sophomore. If he is 14 as a Sophmore he has a ton of growth he can do.
I believe he's 16 now. This is from 2 years ago and mentions him being 14

Reaction Score
Have a friend who is very good friends with Matt father. While with him last night they were chatting and heard him say Indiana, Notre Dame, Syracuse, UConn among others have started reaching out to him. Pretty sure he's class of 2023. Don't know much about his game but have heard glowing reports
Matt good friends w Donovan. (play AAU together)
HS Bball season a long shot but hearing there are thoughts of Donovan joining Matt at NWC in the future.

* Back after a long time of not posting so... Calvin Murphy BEST BBALL talent to come out of CT.

*UCONN BEST LINEUP: Cole, Bouknight, Whaley, Sonago & Martin!

Reaction Score
2022. Wouldn't hurt for him to do a PG year at a better prep school though.

Rumor is Reilly at East Catholic wouldn't take him because of defense. Would be a humongous f up for him if true. Probably already is. Kid averaged likex25 a game for northwest

That's nonsense about his D, he's a very good defensive player, all the tools and a huge motor. Luke and Matt Curtis (the father) played at Hartford together.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He's still one of the all-time leading scorers in CIAC history, over 2,000 points. AND he didn't shoot many 3's.
Yeah he's a few years older than me but from the same general area. He was in the headlines of the Waterbury Republican anytime Cheshire played.

Reaction Score
He's still one of the all-time leading scorers in CIAC history, over 2,000 points. AND he didn't shoot many 3's.

It's pretty amazing when you think about it: 40 PPG with almost no 3PM in a 32 minute HS game without a shotclock. You are getting buckets at a wild clip.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

It’s wild to see these names in here - I graduated from Tolland in ‘01 so played with these guys. The baseball and football teams from that era were excellent and punched well above their weight.

the Q

Reaction Score
It’s wild to see these names in here - I graduated from Tolland in ‘01 so played with these guys. The baseball and football teams from that era were excellent and punched well above their weight.

I mean trubia and McGinn were just such naturals. They could’ve picked up polo and been good at it almost immediately. Wildly unfair to the average person.

susko is historically great as far as CT football goes, but won’t get his due coming from a small school. And legit one of the nicest human beings on the planet. That dude had it all and could’ve been an ass to everyone. He wasn’t.

what’s wild is that one kid moved out of Tolland in middle school and was the Texas5A player of the year in 2002 (biggest schools). Tolland almost certainly has a state title in baseball if he stayed.

plus Tolland softball had trubia’s sister, another Florida transplant, and the next pitching in line went d1 in softball.

that was a wild run for Tolland sports.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I grew up east of the Connecticut River and I swear I don't think I've ever been to Ellington. What's there? Is there a downtown area with restaurants, etc.? Or is it just very rural?
It had been VERY rural up until about 2000 it became more suburban. There are a couple plazas along a drag of rt 83 but nothing resembling a downtown. Hidden Still is a nice pub and there’s another restaurant, Cold Creek Tavern, and a couple pizza places (it’s still CT after all). The old Ellington Supermarket is now a Big Y. Housing prices are crazy and there’s a few nice upscale condos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom