Madison Square Garden | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Madison Square Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So it’s a Connecticut thing, kind of like every town invented the grinder? The Big played there in 2018. They weren’t that impressed.

I’ve been there. It’s fine. Fun to go to Manhattan. But good grief. So far nobody can explain it. And it is honestly not viewed that way outside Connecticut. Maybe in North Jersey, but I don’t think so. South Jersey not so much. They prefer Philly. I’m guessing it is because CT doesn’t have a professional team, and hence a venue, of its own. So we have “adopted” MSG and made it more than it really is. But that’s my opinion. Interested to read others thoughts.
Dude what?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
So it’s a Connecticut thing, kind of like every town invented the grinder? The Big played there in 2018. They weren’t that impressed.

I’ve been there. It’s fine. Fun to go to Manhattan. But good grief. So far nobody can explain it. And it is honestly not viewed that way outside Connecticut. Maybe in North Jersey, but I don’t think so. South Jersey not so much. They prefer Philly. I’m guessing it is because CT doesn’t have a professional team, and hence a venue, of its own. So we have “adopted” MSG and made it more than it really is. But that’s my opinion. Interested to read others thoughts.
“so far no one has explained why 30+ years of history and tradition of the best basketball league playing the best conference tournament in the Worlds Most Famous Arena makes it better than a tournament in Greensboro North Carolina to my satisfaction.” Is what you really meant to say.

Reaction Score
“so far no one has explained why 30+ years of history and tradition of the best basketball league playing the best conference tournament in the Worlds Most Famous Arena makes it better than a tournament in Greensboro North Carolina to my satisfaction.” Is what you really meant to say.
Don’t forget MSG is just “a Connecticut thing”

Reaction Score

You are correct, "nobody can explain it." It's best to have lived it. You can easily google UConn and Madison Square Garden

Reaction Score
“The Worlds Most Famous Arena” is a CT thing. Good lord lmfaoo

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yeah but it isn’t just the semi-finals. That’s an EVENT. Like Sunday at the Masters or the 7th game of the World Series. People get all crazy about a. January game against St John’s. They like a venue more than the event. It’s pretty strange and pretty much a Connecticut thing.
Not just a Connecticut thing. Even Duke gets it. You seem to be the only one confused about the lore of MSG.
IMG_9856.jpeg

Reaction Score

As @WallStreetHusky said above:

"Dude, if it has to be explained to you, you'll never get it."

Just drop it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The most famous basketball arena in the world

Next

Reaction Score
Michael Jordan who played most of his career for Chicago and is from North Carolina remarked that Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball. Pretty much all I need.
Biased opinion...he was born in Brooklyn

Reaction Score
Honestly, the allure is a hard thing to explain. First thing that comes to mind is that MSG is the biggest stage in the biggest city in the country. New York is a place known for its tall buildings, hard concrete, and abrasive personalities. It’s a place that runs 24/7 with everything and anything. There is a certain weight in the air towards the end of the season.

Then there is the venue itself.

Dark. Vertical. Loud.

The lighting in the arena makes it feel like you are watching a stage play, illuminated by spotlights instead of bright, fluorescent bulbs that fatigue the eyes. The audience sits in partial darkness, in space resembling the vertical presence of the Coliseum in Rome. The crowd is there for a show of blood, and the Big East never disappoints.

Then there is the UConn connection. Nearly every great season in the history of the program has run through that building. The first Big East title that announced the forever under dog had arrived. Allen vs Allen that propelled us past Georgetown as the big dogs in town. The agony and the ecstasy of the six over-time game. Winning 5 games in 5 days in historic run that will NEVER be repeated. Clinching a Final Four berth as a 7 seed punching well above it’s weight in the 2014 regional finals of the NCAA tournament. The venue has been good to UConn, and UConn is grateful.

Reaction Score
No one's mentioned that the whole state can drive to a Metro North station and be in the city in about an hour, and the train ride is part of the fun as it's packed with UConn fans many of whom are partaking in adult beverages.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The troll job most of you have missed is the rest of the "good" BE teams don't bring the energy to NYC.

No doubt if UConn, St John's, Nova and Gtown were on top and Seton Hall and PC were decent, the city would be electric.

But Marquette, Creighton, Xavier or Butler just don't get the locals excited to the same degree.

That's the "trap" the troll thinks he's setting.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Used to work at MSG and all I can think of the first time walking through the tunnel was how the court looked like a stage.

It’s a super intimate space in the way it’s constructed that’s not like anywhere else.

There’s a reason it’s the most famous arena in the world.

There’s a reason every basketball player raises there level of play there.

And as a UConn fan, I’m not sure how you can’t understand its significance to our fanbase given the history. Did having the AAC tournament in Hartford teach you nothing??

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The troll job most of you have missed is the rest of the "good" BE teams don't bring the energy to NYC.

No doubt if UConn, St John's, Nova and Gtown were on top and Seton Hall and PC were decent, the city would be electric.

But Marquette, Creighton, Xavier or Butler just don't get the locals excited to the same degree.

That's the "trap" the troll thinks he's setting.
Marquette and Creighton fans actually travel really well. He’s just delusional and baiting people, classic BY troll.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Marquette and Creighton fans actually travel really well. He’s just delusional and baiting people, classic BY troll.

Yes, but they do nothing for the local populace or creating a buzz through the city.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He would rather have the ACC tourney in Brooklyn. Oops tried that
It'll be at the Cap One Center in DC this year. Unless he's in NYC at MSG, Ed Cooley can check out what it looks like with fans in it .

This muddled bundle of disingenuity hints that you could be asking, answering, waffling, guessing, explaining, spitballing, trolling, or something else.

My only confidence is that your continued use of the pronoun "we" is an affront any poster who has offered you a sincere response. I don't trust you to regret such wormy behavior, but it wouldn't be out of line for a decent human being.

Reaction Score
I know I am going to regret asking this, but can somebody please explain this almost fetishistic love foe Madison Square Garden among UConn fans? It is beyond strange. I’ve lived in other places, including some with Big East and New Big East schools, and I have never run into fans that have made MSG such a big deal. I can’t even conceive of a Marquette fan saying they would turn down an invite to an equal or superior conference because they don’t get to play their conference tournament in MSG. Clearly BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville didn’t care. I lived in Providence ( well actually South County) for several years, and never heard a PC fan wax poetic about the place the way UConn fans do. They like playing there but it isn’t a fetish like it is for UConn fans. It is just bizarre.

FWIW, I’ve been to the ACC tournament in Greenville and it dominates the town. Restaurant, bars, hotels…it’s all anyone talks about. I’ve gone to dinner 2 blocks from MSG, and there was more talk about the Rangers and Knicks and the Yankees than the tournament taking place down the street. So please, I just don’t get it. Jealousy? Am inferiority complex? Basking in reflected glory? Somebody explain it, please.
I cant believe someone is actually asking.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I know I am going to regret asking this, but can somebody please explain this almost fetishistic love foe Madison Square Garden among UConn fans? It is beyond strange. I’ve lived in other places, including some with Big East and New Big East schools, and I have never run into fans that have made MSG such a big deal. I can’t even conceive of a Marquette fan saying they would turn down an invite to an equal or superior conference because they don’t get to play their conference tournament in MSG. Clearly BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville didn’t care. I lived in Providence ( well actually South County) for several years, and never heard a PC fan wax poetic about the place the way UConn fans do. They like playing there but it isn’t a fetish like it is for UConn fans. It is just bizarre.

FWIW, I’ve been to the ACC tournament in Greenville and it dominates the town. Restaurant, bars, hotels…it’s all anyone talks about. I’ve gone to dinner 2 blocks from MSG, and there was more talk about the Rangers and Knicks and the Yankees than the tournament taking place down the street. So please, I just don’t get it. Jealousy? Am inferiority complex? Basking in reflected glory? Somebody explain it, please.
You can't be taken seriously beyond this.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

"we"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak