Madison Square Garden | The Boneyard

Madison Square Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know I am going to regret asking this, but can somebody please explain this almost fetishistic love foe Madison Square Garden among UConn fans? It is beyond strange. I’ve lived in other places, including some with Big East and New Big East schools, and I have never run into fans that have made MSG such a big deal. I can’t even conceive of a Marquette fan saying they would turn down an invite to an equal or superior conference because they don’t get to play their conference tournament in MSG. Clearly BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville didn’t care. I lived in Providence ( well actually South County) for several years, and never heard a PC fan wax poetic about the place the way UConn fans do. They like playing there but it isn’t a fetish like it is for UConn fans. It is just bizarre.

FWIW, I’ve been to the ACC tournament in Greenville and it dominates the town. Restaurant, bars, hotels…it’s all anyone talks about. I’ve gone to dinner 2 blocks from MSG, and there was more talk about the Rangers and Knicks and the Yankees than the tournament taking place down the street. So please, I just don’t get it. Jealousy? Am inferiority complex? Basking in reflected glory? Somebody explain it, please.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know I am going to regret asking this, but can somebody please explain this almost fetishistic love foe Madison Square Garden among UConn fans? It is beyond strange. I’ve lived in other places, including some with Big East and New Big East schools, and I have never run into fans that have made MSG such a big deal. I can’t even conceive of a Marquette fan saying they would turn down an invite to an equal or superior conference because they don’t get to play their conference tournament in MSG. Clearly BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville didn’t care. I lived in Providence ( well actually South County) for several years, and never heard a PC fan wax poetic about the place the way UConn fans do. They like playing there but it isn’t a fetish like it is for UConn fans. It is just bizarre.

FWIW, I’ve been to the ACC tournament in Greenville and it dominates the town. Restaurant, bars, hotels…it’s all anyone talks about. I’ve gone to dinner 2 blocks from MSG, and there was more talk about the Rangers and Knicks and the Yankees than the tournament taking place down the street. So please, I just don’t get it. Jealousy? Am inferiority complex? Basking in reflected glory? Somebody explain it, please.
"...fetishistic love foe," eh?

"Am inferiority complex?"

"ACC tournament in Greenville..."

As far as I'm concerned, please don't regret asking. I'm quite interested in reading the answers.

Reaction Score

Yep, Greenville is dope.

No wonder you don't get it. You don't seem to get a lot of things.

Reaction Score

I have the answers. But I'd rather watch the show with @Hans Sprungfeld
Best of luck

Reaction Score
Go to the Garden for the BET semifinals and you will understand. 4 fanbases. They all hate each other. They all think they are unquestionably going to win the tournament. It’s a warzone. It’s fantastic.

Especially when you win the final.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I went to the Big East Tournament for the first time last year. Easily the best atmosphere I’ve ever been in for a live sporting event. MSG just has that allure of history and mystique that’s backed up by an electric fan atmosphere and acoustics (plus good site lines from most seats in the house).

I’ve been to MSG many other times for UConn, Knicks and Ranger games and it’s always been a great environment, but the buzz of the BET is insane.

The ACC would never play another sporting event in Greensboro if MSG was an option for them.

Reaction Score
Go to the Garden for the BET semifinals and you will understand. 4 fanbases. They all hate each other. They all think they are unquestionably going to win the tournament. It’s a warzone. It’s fantastic.
Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt as they say.. hate to break it to you but it is like that at EVERY major conference tourney. Ever been to UNC-Duke?

Reaction Score

kermit throw up GIF

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
<<<<<<< Nobody has this, nobody has what we have, Saturday Night at MSG in NYC

Greensboro, haha, a Green Acres redo

Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue

The ACC actually tried to replicate our NYC Experience, didn't work out for them. Now they're back to being the All Carolina Conference

Reaction Score
Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt as they say.. hate to break it to you but it is like that at EVERY major conference tourney. Ever been to UNC-Duke?
Never been to UNC/Duke. Would love to especially at Cameron. Maybe one day

But the question was why do Uconn fans love MSG. That Semi-Final night is why I do. It’s electric.

Reaction Score
So it’s a Connecticut thing, kind of like every town invented the grinder? The Big played there in 2018. They weren’t that impressed.

I’ve been there. It’s fine. Fun to go to Manhattan. But good grief. So far nobody can explain it. And it is honestly not viewed that way outside Connecticut. Maybe in North Jersey, but I don’t think so. South Jersey not so much. They prefer Philly. I’m guessing it is because CT doesn’t have a professional team, and hence a venue, of its own. So we have “adopted” MSG and made it more than it really is. But that’s my opinion. Interested to read others thoughts.

Reaction Score
Never been to UNC/Duke. Would love to especially at Cameron. Maybe one day

But the question was why do Uconn fans love MSG. That Semi-Final night is why I do. It’s electric.
Yeah but it isn’t just the semi-finals. That’s an EVENT. Like Sunday at the Masters or the 7th game of the World Series. People get all crazy about a. January game against St John’s. They like a venue more than the event. It’s pretty strange and pretty much a Connecticut thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom