OT: - Lousy voice, great singer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Lousy voice, great singer

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No video--just a comment. The epitome of Terrible Voice, great entertainer All personality--Jimmy Durante.
Jimmy's version of SMILE was used on the Joker Movie soundtrack. And this song was used for the end credits of Sleepless in Seattle.

Reaction Score
I watch American Idol and this past season, We Ani was one of the performers. She has a very squeaky voice when speaking, but she belts it out there magnificently when not talking but singing. Here is her audition on American Idol. She didn't win but she was the best singer this last season:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can't believe it's down to the 38th post and no one has included him yet. So I get to do so.

Sad thing is he has the best voice of all the Cohens.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I never thought Louis Armstrong had a great voice. But he seems to be a great singer. One of my favorites is:

Got to meet him when I was in high school. He was doing a show at the Bushnell and my friend and I, both trumpet players, met with him by ourselves in his dressing room after the show. I don’t remember at all why we got such great access. He was obviously tired but gracious. All I remember is him saying “Hi boys” in that gravelly voice and that he had the permanent impression of his trumpet mouthpiece on his lips. Got his autograph of course. Would have been around 1962.

Reaction Score
I guess we're just talking about people who have more raspy voices than traditional classic voices. If that is the case, than Stevie Nicks, Rod Stewart, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Cohen, Watts, would all be on the list. But I think at the top would be Billy Corgan, Axl Rose and number 1 for me would be Tina Turner.

Reaction Score
Jerry Garcia didn't have a great voice (and it got worse into the 90's), but I could listen to him all day long. And do.

Reaction Score
If we're gonna talk about Jerry Garcia, we should mention Pigpen Ron McKernan. He was the lead singer of the Dead until Demon Rum took him.

Reaction Score
How about Bob Weir with Dead & Company? Still rocking even though he's about 110 years old.

Reaction Score
We've heard a couple from one half of the Glitter Twins; here's one from the other half.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Eno is another who's voice you either love or hate. Plus he did a lot of stuff like this. Does anyone recognize the anagram in the title?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This thread has me a bit confused. Some of these are not terrible singers in my view. Not amazing voices, but not bad either.

I heard a Cars song on the radio today. His voice wasn't extraordinary, but I don't think lousy. Perfect for the band, and some of their songs are so catchy.

Does Steven Tyler have a lousy voice? It's impossible to imagine Aerosmith without him.

edit--How about Tom Kiefer from Cinderella? An acquired taste probably, but I enjoy it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's all in the ear of the beholder, NW. I like all the singers I've posted even if I don't respect their voices.

Here's Adrian Belew with King Crimson:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't believe no one has put the great Tom Petty yet!

I was just scrolling through the list to see if it had been posted yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom