OT: - Lousy voice, great singer | The Boneyard

OT: Lousy voice, great singer

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Some people with crappy voices are flat-out great singers. There are a few that jump out immediately. Of course, who's a great singer and who has a lousy voice are up to the posters.

I usually leave the low-hanging fruit for others, but I'm gonna start out with one of those who really jumps out. For me, Tom Waits has an incredibly flexible voice that can evoke a range of emotions. This is a beautiful ditty from his classic years:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I hope my post isn't "low hanging fruit."

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Simon Le Bon has a marginal voice but it fits Duran Duran’s music so well

You couldn't post Hungry Like The Wolf? C'mon!!!

Reaction Score
Some people with crappy voices are flat-out great singers. There are a few that jump out immediately. Of course, who's a great singer and who has a lousy voice are up to the posters.

I usually leave the low-hanging fruit for others, but I'm gonna start out with one of those who really jumps out. For me, Tom Waits has an incredibly flexible voice that can evoke a range of emotions. This is a beautiful ditty from his classic years:

No video--just a comment. The epitome of Terrible Voice, great entertainer All personality--Jimmy Durante.

Reaction Score
Ah, BigBoote - I wasn't going to do this one, but after pondering it for an hour or so, I caved in, had to post it, just had to post it, didn't want you to think I've forgotten it or anything: :D

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No video--just a comment. The epitome of Terrible Voice, great entertainer All personality--Jimmy Durante.
Inka-dinka-doo. Just old enough to remember Durante on variety shows with other old-timers. Reportedly a great guy as well.

I'm surprised by someone saying Billy Joel - I thought when he was younger his voice was fine. Now is a different story.

I wonder about mentioning the great Neil Diamond (whether you like him or not, his place in music is secure). I never thought his voice was great, and he went through a period (maybe 30 years ago) where he was downright raspy. Thought it would be the end of his career but things actually improved. A great showman up until illness forced his retirement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom