OT: - Loud Noisy Cars? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Loud Noisy Cars?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a catless downpipe on my 04' VW. Because I want to and because I have to, the car's computer is tuned in such a way that the excess turbo blowoff could damage your catalytic converter.. so I have a 'test' pipe on my car now and can swap in a high flow cat come inspection time.

Why do I like it? I enjoy the sound of my car's engine.. I like the low grumble when I'm slowing down for a light I car hear the power as well as feel it. But I'm also not one of those clowns who goes around revving through second gear just because I want people to see me. Not a fan of those folks either.
Every night right around 7:45 some as my baby drifts off to sleep some 17 year old in a heavily modified VW Golf tips through the neighborhood startling her.

Coincidence??

Reaction Score
It still has the original 318 V8 but it's been rebuilt and had some upgrades added over the years. My brother's the real gear head, not a bolt on that car he hasn't touched over the years
if he wants to lose to a Honda let me know lol

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There’s a Maserati Quattroporte with the Ferrari sourced V8 that downshifts by my house every day (stop sign in either direction)... it sounds like pure mechanical sex, I look forward to it every day.

Reaction Score
My Tesla is so breathtakingly silent and I love it. And now I can't stand noise from other cars at all.

Reaction Score
My Tesla is so breathtakingly silent and I love it. And now I can't stand noise from other cars at all.
Agreed. The silence was weird for like 3 minutes, but once I got used to it, I never wanted to hear an engine again. I really hate when the gas motor kicks on in the Volt.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The silence was weird for like 3 minutes, but once I got used to it, I never wanted to hear an engine again. I really hate when the gas motor kicks on in the Volt.
My car doesn't make a peep, and I can outrun you.

I'm too into the visceral pleasures associated with driving so I can't relate to silence, no matter how fast you can go. No offense, but you can have all the tech and torque in the world but it's not the same.

We go on two driving tours annually with Cobras and GT350's and there's just something indescribably pleasurable about 20-25 of the cars cruising nice two lane, twisty, highways in rural parts of New York, New England, Virginia, North Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas and, in two months, the hill country of Texas.
No show offs, no law breaking, just good fun roads, extended happy hours, great meals and lots of stories to be told and heard about why we all love the cars and love to drive them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They make 'em loud so they don't have to hear you yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

Reaction Score
I'm too into the visceral pleasures associated with driving so I can't relate to silence, no matter how fast you can go. No offense, but you can have all the tech and torque in the world but it's not the same.

We go on two driving tours annually with Cobras and GT350's and there's just something indescribably pleasurable about 20-25 of the cars cruising nice two lane, twisty, highways in rural parts of New York, New England, Virginia, North Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas and, in two months, the hill country of Texas.
No show offs, no law breaking, just good fun roads, extended happy hours, great meals and lots of stories to be told and heard about why we all love the cars and love to drive them.

Like others have said, you don't miss the sound after about two days. The driving experience is first rate -- great handling, acceleration, responsiveness. More fun to drive than anything else I've been in.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There are studies out there suggesting electric cars will need to produce artificial noise to avoid car/pedestrian accidents. Even with automated electrics and accident avoidance software which "predicts" human movements, the lack of noise becomes a problem for humans who are conditioned to hear noise with automobile traffic.

You can even create staggered option pricing so your Prius can sound like a Ferrari.

Reaction Score
There are studies out there suggesting electric cars will need to produce artificial noise to avoid car/pedestrian accidents. Even with automated electrics and accident avoidance software which "predicts" human movements, the lack of noise becomes a problem for humans who are conditioned to hear noise with automobile traffic.

I've thought about this a lot. But in the meantime the simple pleasure of rolling up behind someone walking in the middle of the street, laying on the horn, and watching them jump twenty feet in the air will never get old.

Reaction Score

You can even create staggered option pricing so your Prius can sound like a Ferrari.

This is already the law in the US. At low speeds (I think it's under 20 MPH) electric cars needs to emit some kind noise. Tesla is having fun with theirs:

Reaction Score
This is already the law in the US. At low speeds (I think it's under 20 MPH) electric cars needs to emit some kind noise. Tesla is having fun with theirs:

Yeah, my Bolt and Volt both make artificial noise at low speed. I can't hear it from in the car, though, unless the windows are down and I'm in the garage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom