OT: - Loud Noisy Cars? | The Boneyard

OT: Loud Noisy Cars?

Reaction Score
I'm not talking loud music (that I can understand). Can someone explain to me the attraction to loud engines in a passenger car?

It seems these cars are everywhere with the loud engines revving only going 10mph. I understand motorcycles since its necessary for safety, but why are people driving these cars?

Is it to be seen, heard, admired or simply to troll the community? Do the ladies like it? Its seems to have increased since Fast and Furious and Need For Speed movies and of course the video games. I just don't understand why anyone wants to announce their arrival or departure every time they drive. My muffler became detached once and I couldn't get it repaired fast enough, so I am out of touch.

I just don't recall it being this bad years ago. I guess you can tell it annoys me, especially late at night and the car is 5 blocks away.

So what's the deal?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

1598053532890.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My muffler partially dropped off my car and was dragging so I called to have it towed. When kid drove up he asked if my could be driven up onto the bed. I told yes. He starts the, now unmuffled car and it has a deep throaty roar. I look at the kid and yell "it sounds great since I put in the glass packs." The kid yells back "Really?" with a huge smile on his face and look back and said "no."

Reaction Score
People are running catless downpipes/midpipes

I'm guilty. Frees up a few HP on an old car. And it's cheaper. A catted pipe was ~$500 and a catless was $250. My cars old enough that it doesn't have to pass emissions so I said whatever and bought the catless pipe.

Reaction Score
MOPAR horsepower growl, good.

4 cylinder turbo, Import muffler bazooka tube, bad.
fun fact, the SRT-4 didn't have a muffler because Dodge believed the turbo muffled enough noise to not require a muffler.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm not talking loud music (that I can understand). Can someone explain to me the attraction to loud engines in a passenger car?

It seems these cars are everywhere with the loud engines revving only going 10mph. I understand motorcycles since its necessary for safety, but why are people driving these cars?

Is it to be seen, heard, admired or simply to troll the community? Do the ladies like it? Its seems to have increased since Fast and Furious and Need For Speed movies and of course the video games. I just don't understand why anyone wants to announce their arrival or departure every time they drive. My muffler became detached once and I couldn't get it repaired fast enough, so I am out of touch.

I just don't recall it being this bad years ago. I guess you can tell it annoys me, especially late at night and the car is 5 blocks away.

So what's the deal?
I dont have a problem with it because it draws your attention so you look and hot cars are like hot women fun to look at and even better when you get in the cockpit. What does annoy me is when you hear a car and you turn and its some peice of junk with a spare tire, plastic bag on the window and a muffler held on by duct tape.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The noise is a pain but much worse is the way many of these drivers operate on highways as if they are fantasizing being in a NASCAR race. Very common to see them dangerously weaving in and out of lanes suddenly, hyper-tailgating etc. And when 2 of them spot each other it's off to the races. The highway is not a great place to work out ones fantasies or death wish.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I guess we can categorize cars. Here the young kids still drive this Jetta's and changed the muffler to sound like a loud tin can. They are loud with a high pitch. However, I will speak for myself, many of old timers like myself love the classics. I love to listen to the rumble of the old muscle cars. I know that is not what Kitaman was referring to. God I hope not...lol.

Reaction Score
It's a fact of life where I live.

I'm in Norwalk, right by a three-way stop sign with two roads leading to New Canaan/Wilton but also a mile from an industrial part of town. So I get the cheap loud cars from the shops, the fancy loud cards from the inverted penis dudes from New Canaan, high school kids, motorcycles and bikes. However, there are some people with really cool classics and I like to see those, especially on Sundays.

My wife and I both lived on busier roads growing up, but it's next level in the summer when you combine people cruising outside with having our windows open.

I don't mind if a car is loud and driving at a moderate speed, but it drives me nuts when some idiot books it to 50-60 down our 25 mph road. It's a main walking/running road for our neighborhood and I just want people to stay safe. That's what I don't get: we have the Merritt and 95. I don't care when people go 90 on those, especially when traffic is clear. It's these windy, hilly residential roads where it's just dangerous.

I do get a chuckle sometimes with the music some of these guys play. There's one Harley that cruises by our house that always plays Hootie and the Blowfish. It's funny on its own, but then picture "Hold My Hand" with the doppler effect. Sounds like a weird acid trip.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The noise is a pain but much worse is the way many of these drivers operate on highways as if they are fantasizing being in a NASCAR race. Very common to see them dangerously weaving in and out of lanes suddenly, hyper-tailgating etc. And when 2 of them spot each other it's off to the races. The highway is not a great place to work out ones fantasies or death wish.

If you would just maintain your speed in the left lane no one would have to ride your ass and weave in and out. Or, just stay in the right lane.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If you would just maintain your speed in the left lane no one would have to ride your ass and weave in and out. Or, just stay in the right lane.
They don't ride my ass because If they did I would move over. I drive about 5 over the limit normally. It's the nut behind wheel that I see all time in front of me that is making sudden moves (often without signaling .....they don't signal in NACAR) that is a multi car accident waiting to happen because someone thinks He's Mr. NASCAR.

Reaction Score
I have a catless downpipe on my 04' VW. Because I want to and because I have to, the car's computer is tuned in such a way that the excess turbo blowoff could damage your catalytic converter.. so I have a 'test' pipe on my car now and can swap in a high flow cat come inspection time.

Why do I like it? I enjoy the sound of my car's engine.. I like the low grumble when I'm slowing down for a light I car hear the power as well as feel it. But I'm also not one of those clowns who goes around revving through second gear just because I want people to see me. Not a fan of those folks either.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Every night right around 7:45 some as my baby drifts off to sleep some 17 year old in a heavily modified VW Golf tips through the neighborhood startling her.

Reaction Score
They don't ride my ass because If they did I would move over. I drive about 5 over the limit normally. It's the nut behind wheel that I see all time in front of me that is making sudden moves (often without signaling .....they don't signal in NACAR) that is a multi car accident waiting to happen because someone thinks He's Mr. NASCAR.

A few years ago I went to the Fall race at Talladega. A company we did a lot of business hosted a group and had Donnie Allison as a guest. He was retired and I overhead someone ask him if it was true that race drivers felt more nervous on an Interstate than a track. He said said he didn't know about everyone but he did because on the track everyone knew what they were doing and what everyone else was likely to do. Not only that but race cars were safer.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
what engine does it have

It still has the original 318 V8 but it's been rebuilt and had some upgrades added over the years. My brother's the real gear head, not a bolt on that car he hasn't touched over the years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom