Looks like louisville going going... | The Boneyard

Looks like louisville going going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised nor would I blame them. The sad part is this could have possibly been avoided had the league acted more quickly. We could have added UCF, Houston, Temple, ECU, and Memphis over the weekend and Air Force, Navy, Army, and Boise State as football only on Monday and it would have been a very different week for us. If Army wasn't up to it we could have let Nova upgrade. Instead, there is still no light at the end of tunnel. Just darkness. But whatever. The chips will fall where they may.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised nor would I blame them. The sad part is this could have possibly been avoided had the league acted more quickly. We could have added UCF, Houston, Temple, ECU, and Memphis over the weekend and Air Force, Navy, Army, and Boise State as football only on Monday and it would have been a very different week for us. If Army wasn't up to it we could have let Nova upgrade. Instead, there is still no light at the end of tunnel. Just darkness. But whatever. The chips will fall where they may.
I still don't get why you guys (those hoping or figuring how to keep the BE together) want to be in a conference with UCF, Houston, Temple, ECU, Memphis, Air Force, Navy, Army and Boise State. How is that in anyway something to look forward too? Woohooh - we play a three letter school who I don't know what the letters stand for!

Please stop with all the fixes to the BE - there aren't any. Accept that. If we get left behind, we're screwed.

Fortunately we have enough to offer that we are unlikely to get left behind - even if that means joining an extended but better than BE, Big 12+.

Reaction Score
Fortunately we have enough to offer that we are unlikely to get left behind - even if that means joining an extended but better than BE, Big 12+.

I'd prefer that as well but have a hard time seeing it happen.

Reaction Score
I still don't get why you guys (those hoping or figuring how to keep the BE together) want to be in a conference with UCF, Houston, Temple, ECU, Memphis, Air Force, Navy, Army and Boise State. How is that in anyway something to look forward too? Woohooh - we play a three letter school who I don't know what the letters stand for!

Please stop with all the fixes to the BE - there aren't any. Accept that. If we get left behind, we're screwed.

Another post I don't understand. So, while we're waiting for the next round of expansion, you just want to tell the world "we quit" instead of doing the best you can and biding your time?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'd prefer that as well but have a hard time seeing it happen.
It's all about markets. UConn and Rutgers or UConn and ND or UConn, Rutgers and ND solidify the northeast market for any conference that wants it. BC, Cuse and Pitt don't come close to solidfiying the Northeast. If the Big 10 decided on UConn, Rutgers and ND (assuming they would join), they would crush the ACC in that market. Who are people going to watch - Michigan @ UConn or Florida @ Cuse if they are on at the same time? Miami at Pitt @ Purdue @ ND? If the ACC locks up UConn and Rutgers, they eliminate the Big 10 from ever getting into that market. There are no other programs to choose from that do that for either conference. And while football drives the bus, every conference understands the financial significance of Duke @ UConn or Mich St @ UConn. While it doesn't make as much - awesome bball is still lucrative and makes a difference.

Reaction Score
Now Wilner is saying big 12 is bracing for mizzou to big 12...who will then add uofl, wvu, byu

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Another post I don't understand. So, while we're waiting for the next round of expansion, you just want to tell the world "we quit" instead of doing the best you can and biding your time?
Accepting that as the conference we're in is the same as quiting. It means we stop being on a national stage both in football (not that we are yet) or basketball. In BBall we might be able to stay Gonzaga or Xavier good, but that would be the ceiling. You won't find the number 1 or 2, number 10 and number 40 something ranked player committing to a school in that BBall conference. We could make a few sweet 16s, an occasional final 8 and maybe with luck make an occasional final 4 with perfect seeding and fallout. There's no way we're beating the big boys in that alignment. See Gonzaga, Baylor, Xavier.

So if that's the best we can hope for, yeah, I'd rather quit, I guess.

Reaction Score
Now Wilner is saying big 12 is bracing for mizzou to big 12...who will then add uofl, wvu, byu

Let's hope that they are trying to get to 16. I'd be pretty comfortable with landing in a conference that looked like this.

UConn
Rutgers
Temple
West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
Iowa St.
South Florida

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
BYU

At least I'm sure they wouldn't be waiting around for Notre Dame. It would be pretty ironic if the Big 12 became the first 16 team superconference as well. This would be a much better football conference than the ACC and with UConn, Kansas, WVU, Louisville, and Texas would still ber elite for basketball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Eh. Not sure who the original source is, since Wilner is a Pac 12 guy and got Texahoma to the Pac 12 100% wrong. Going through his blog, I actually can't find a single scoop he got right so far.

Missouri leaving the Big 12 would definitely shuffle the deck on expansion. If Missouri wanted to go, I am not sure why they didn't go with Texas A&M. Furthermore, reports from SEC world are pretty consistent that Missouri's invitation was contingent on the collapse of the Big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you really want to be a UMass fan?

Why do I give a crap about Pitt? UMass is more of a natural rival than Pitt.

Most importantly, I care a lot about UConn, and am very disappointed that so many fans are not only resigned to the collapse of the athletic program, but seem to enjoy wallowing in self pity over it. S*** happens. Time to move on.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that Wilner was the anti-chip brown and has a good reputation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Most importantly, I care a lot about UConn, and am very disappointed that so many fans are not only resigned to the collapse of the athletic program, but seem to enjoy wallowing in self pity over it. S*** happens. Time to move on.

I think we may end up screwed in football, but I'm sure as hell not going to just roll over and admit defeat. With a few smart adds, and some breaks (re: further expansion) we can build the Big East up again.

Reaction Score
If UL and WVU really are gone, out options are extremely limited, and our BCS bid is gone. So while I understand the "we should have acted sooner" stuff, in reality... even if we had pledged loyalty, those offers from the Big XII would have come anyways, so it seems red herringish. Right now we can pray all we want about the ACC, but that also seems like a waste of time because, well, call me a heathen but praying only gets us so far. Theres little "Bold Action" or whatever other garbage people seem to think individual programs are capable of that we can take right now. In reality world we can say goodbye to TCU as well. Best plan of action right now is probably to dissolve Big East football negotiate as a cohort with RU, USF, and Cinci to pledge annual games with each other as sort of hybrid independents and hope to ride out the storm. Basketball would be fine as we could continue on in the Big East, still the second best league in the country, and hey who knows maybe we could get the chance to see football games against teams we never normally see. Maybe 10 years down the line UMass, UCF,blah blah blah will become a Utah, BSU etc and we can make a real eastern based all sports league and exact revenge on those ashsoles on Tobacco Road.

Or.. maybe we join the MAC, either way.. I'll be at the Rent and all will be fun.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that Wilner was the anti-chip brown and has a good reputation.

For all his silliness, Chip Brown has better sources than any of them. He has a direct line to the expansion God, Deloss Dodds. Wilner is one of many. He probably has some Pac 12 folks that will pick up the phone if he calls, just like a lot of writers in a lot of regions.

All the solid info is that A) the Big 12 is stopping at 10 (Texas wants this and Neinas has been very consistent on this point), and B) BYU is the first choice. Now we wait to see what BYU does.

Reaction Score
If UL and WVU really are gone, out options are extremely limited, and our BCS bid is gone. So while I understand the "we should have acted sooner" stuff, in reality... even if we had pledged loyalty, those offers from the Big XII would have come anyways, so it seems red herringish. Right now we can pray all we want about the ACC, but that also seems like a waste of time because, well, call me a heathen but praying only gets us so far. Theres little "Bold Action" or whatever other garbage people seem to think individual programs are capable of that we can take right now. In reality world we can say goodbye to TCU as well. Best plan of action right now is probably to dissolve Big East football negotiate as a cohort with RU, USF, and Cinci to pledge annual games with each other as sort of hybrid independents and hope to ride out the storm. Basketball would be fine as we could continue on in the Big East, still the second best league in the country, and hey who knows maybe we could get the chance to see football games against teams we never normally see. Maybe 10 years down the line UMass, UCF,blah blah blah will become a Utah, BSU etc and we can make a real eastern based all sports league and exact revenge on those ashsoles on Tobacco Road.

Or.. maybe we join the MAC, either way.. I'll be at the Rent and all will be fun.

In the end we will end up in a quality 16 team all sports conference. It's a matter of when not if. In a way I would prefer the Big 10 or Big 12 over the ACC just out of spite for what they have done to the Big East. Really though, the Big East has done this to itself so I'd still be happy with the ACC. Even if 14 is the new cool number I think we should be able to get into either the Big 12 or Big 10 based on our national basketball brand. The Big 12 going to 16 now would be the best defense that conference has against the PAC 12 so I think they should go for it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I think you miss the point. It's not time to move on, it's time to move on to a better situation.

We will.

I am not walloing in pity, I'm confident in our brand to be in a better place.

Reaction Score

You're moving on? To what exactly? What conference did you have in mind?

Reaction Score
Why do people keep suggesting we add Memphis? Their BB became average when the squid left, and their football is one of the worst FBS programs there is. Seriously, they finish ranked in the 100 - 120 range of FBS schools annually. Memphis would be an awful filler.

Reaction Score
Because they have been good in the past, and please understand, we would be no different if cast out on an island like they are. Not saying they are an essential add, but they can be good if given a chance.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why do people keep suggesting we add Memphis? Their BB became average when the squid left, and their football is one of the worst FBS programs there is. Seriously, they finish ranked in the 100 - 120 range of FBS schools annually. Memphis would be an awful filler.

here is the deal with memphis:
-tv mk addition
-sec area with strong fball eyes, good recruting
-bball ready, they have a top 25 program and this year prob top 10
-fedex $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for days, what was the quote form the guy a couple years ago? "$100 mil from me towards fball..." they can build a 50k stadium in 4 years from today easy and get playing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think you miss the point. It's not time to move on, it's time to move on to a better situation.

We will.

I am not walloing in pity, I'm confident in our brand to be in a better place.

We should keep a list of the "beg harder" posters, like jleves here. We already know about UConn to the ACC. We asked, they answered. It is a "no". It hasn't stopped UConn from asking again and again in the press, but we already know the answer. So we have to move on.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
We should keep a list of the "beg harder" posters, like jleves here. We already know about UConn to the ACC. We asked, they answered. It is a "no". It hasn't stopped UConn from asking again and again in the press, but we already know the answer. So we have to move on.
Can you show me where anyone in the ACC said no? The fact is, UConn and many other sources say there's something in the works and there is nothing even close to anyone from the ACC indicating that's not the case. The claims have not been refutiated by anyone other than you. WVU got shot down in the press, we haven't. Not sure why you are so obsessed with 'not happening' when there is nothing out there saying 'not happening'. It's weird - seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom