Looking fwd to seeing a leap by Ayanna Patterson... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Looking fwd to seeing a leap by Ayanna Patterson...

Reaction Score
Dunking is simply a matter of being able to jump high, while holding onto the ball. I have seen 8th graders who can do it. Athleticism is something far beyond that. Athleticism is not standing with the ball in your hands wondering what to do next, or crashing into three opponents while trying to gather a rebound. Or getting stripped of the ball once you catch it. Athleticism is doing all the good stuff ( gain and maintain possession; dish expertly off to another teammate; or take it up court yourself, while avoiding the bad ( turnovers and fouls). You now say ( due to the dunking ability) that Patsy is a better athlete than Muhl. Isn't going full speed up court with the ball, while harassed by two defenders, and still being able to find an open teammate athletic? Isn't grabbing an offensive rebound and taking it end to end for a lay-up a sign of athleticism? Have you seen Patsy ever dribble the ball 6 feet without losing it? If dunking is such a defining skill set of Patterson's game, why did we never see it on the court? Of what athletic value are abilities a player doesn't use? I'm not saying Patsy isn't athletic. Anyone who can play. at this level is a fine athlete. I am just saying that jumping up and dunking is not a sign of " someone special." I mean every player in the NBA can do it. How, then , do you distinguish a Michael Jordan type athlete from the next guy? In the end, I hope you are right. Maybe Patterson can score 26 points per game in the post, as she did in HS. If she does, how many of those 26 are likely to be from dunking the ball?
Agree. Basketball success, as with many sports, is largely related to having great hands and great feet - what is in- between is less important. Collier has great hands and great feet. Sanogo has great hands and feet. It is not clear that Paterson has either great hands or great feet, but time will tell. There is also the issue of stage fright - he/she who hesitates is lost. Heather Buck never got over that despite physical skills. Stage fright can recede with experience, we'll see. progress is sometimes incremental or break-out - don't set the bar of expectations too high until incremental progress becomes more evident

Reaction Score
We have had all kinds of comparisons here, but the one that seems to be missing is Aubrey. Ayanna in terms of her tools, is a bigger stronger Aubrey. Similar in that the shooting touch is not very good for a 3, but unlike Aubrey, Ayanna has not learned what she can and can't do against tough Division 1 opponents.

Aubrey manages to score on offensive rebounds, in transition, and slashing to the hoop. Ayanna just overpowered opponents in HS relying on her physical ability and then tried the same approach here. She frequently faces her defender at very close range and expects to just rise up over them, or go thru them. Very little fakes, fading away slightly, or even basic shielding the ball from the defender turning sideways to them and using a half hook over the far shoulder. It's all relying on superior physical skills that is not enough at this level.

Aubrey has learned what she can and can't do at this level, and she and the team have tried to maximize and play to her strengths and minimize her weaknesses. With Ayanna she is at ground zero of that process. She could improve significantly and still play less. Ice and Jana haven't proven anything yet, but they haven't disappointed yet either.

Based on expectations they would both appear to be ahead of Ayanna heading into the season as a 4 alternative, but of course they will be needed a lot at the 5 too. Aubrey is a big threat to her playing time as well. She played mostly on the wing this season, largely because of injuries to Paige, Azzi, and Caroline, but she did very well mostly as a 4 during her first two years. This year Geno could use her at both positions some, and if he wanted to he could have Aubrey consume all of Aaliyah's backup minutes, still have time to use her a fair amount on the wing, and not have to use Ayanna, Ice or Jana at the 4.

Aubrey has proven herself at two positions. Ice and Jana appear to be 4/5 types. Ayanna is still trying to be good at her main position. Last year she had little competition for being Aaliyah's backup, and in a few games Geno still didn't use her. This year she pretty much has three top flight competitors, one already proven and two top prospects, and that is not even taking into account the small ball alternative with Caroline being more of an option there than last year.

A fairly normal progression from freshman to sophomore probably won't be enough. The bar for getting playing time is set pretty high for her this year. I hope she gets there. If she does, Ice and jana can concentrate on the 5, and Aubrey and Caroline could be a super-sub duo in the backcourt, and KK, Ashlyn and Q could have a learning year until an injury occurs.
Oldhuskie, you are touching on a point I would like to make. Hurley solved the playing puzzle with Jackson and he was much more effective especially in the second half of the season. Geno needs to do exactly that with Patterson. Perhaps he should knock on Dan's door and say, "How'd you do that?"

Second point, what is Geno going to do with 14 players when he's used to having half that many? Split them into 2 teams, white and blue? (I would say "A" team and "B" team, but "B" team has a bad connotation.)

Finally, as far as next seasons concerned, I feel a little like the kid in the back seat of the car saying over and over again, "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we..."

Reaction Score
Second point, what is Geno going to do with 14 players when he's used to having half that many? Split them into 2 teams, white and blue? (I would say "A" team and "B" team, but "B" team has a bad connotation.)
I think how much fun practice might be for all of them. 7 x 7 with the lineups changing each time. Small ball v big ball one day. Twin towers v 5-out another day. Press v Press. It may be too much to expect, but game day may be a let down compared to practice on some occasions. “A” team may be the toughest opponent “B” team will face most weeks, and vice versa.

If Geno can pull it off, playing time for the youngsters may not be quite as vexed a question. Make practices more like the main event and the kids might just be thrilled to play with and against Paige Azzi Nika Aubrey Aaliyah and Caroline while they perfect their craft.

Reaction Score
How can you compare Ayanna and Morrow at different schools and different playing environments? If you put Morrow in UConn do you think she can do a better job than Ayanna?

At beginning of season Ayanna did look like she was lost but at end I think she knows how to pass, move and make a shot.
If Morrow was at CONN, she would be a star. Ayanna has to let her game out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom