Looking fwd to seeing a leap by Ayanna Patterson... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking fwd to seeing a leap by Ayanna Patterson...

Reaction Score
Ayanna is legally blind in one eye.

Her brother, Andre Jr., played collegiately at UCLA and Tennessee. Patterson chats amiably about whatever the topic, even answering questions about her right eye, in which she is legally blind. She can see colors from it, but that's all, and she has taken to wearing a pair of protective glasses when playing.

I can't imagine her developing into any kind of wing with a consistent mid-range or 3-point shot. I'd love for her to prove me wrong. Aneesa Morrow is only 6'1", and while she does and can make 3's, she's a beast around the basket. No reason why Ayanna, who I feel is stronger and more athletic than Aneesa, can't succeed in the post.
I disagree that Ayanna is stronger and more athletic than Morrow, but that is for others to decide. Take a look at their results. Just look at both players' first seasons. I don't see from whence you derive your optimism. We are talking two varieties of fruit here ( apples and oranges, I believe they say). You heavily wish and hope that Patterson is better than Morrow, because Morrow is not a Husky ( and not likely to be ). We all want Ayanna to blossom. But comparing the two players you highlighted is not going to give you a winning argument. Morrow is a super star already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have noticed that very few woman BBplayers....sometimes even the very best of them....do not, instinctively, use the pump fake. And, as you said, it can be a crucial tactic.
That’s true. So I started thinking of women basketball players who use the pump fake and I stopped very quickly with Paige, who I have seen use it on multiple occasions, including several “and ones.” But then again, that’s Paige who, when healthy, plays at a whole different level than any other women’s basketball player.

Reaction Score
I seldom see a true “tip in” in wbb. Most grab the rebound. Land and ( sometimes head fake) then go back up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I am rooting hard for Ayanna to make some strides in her second season. Watching old clips of some of her games over the weekend (YouTube), she has the skill, footwork, and overall athletic body type that many kids pray for, to be only getting 5-12 minutes a game. Her mid range, granted it was high school clips but still, game is nice. She can use her left hand. Hopefully, since the season ended and she went through the usual exit interview stuff, she got somethings from the coaching staff to work on and is now working on those things plus expanding that list. Ayanna has the ability. Hopefully she just plays through her fears and just plays basketball. Play with confidence, Ayanna.
Also rooting for her, but these posts sound very similar to those written last year about Amari and we know how that played out! For every sophomore leap, there is a sophomore slump, and it not necessarily from a lack of effort. The Huskies are due for a leap so let’s keep our fingers crossed!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree that Ayanna is stronger and more athletic than Morrow, but that is for others to decide. Take a look at their results. Just look at both players' first seasons. I don't see from whence you derive your optimism. We are talking two varieties of fruit here ( apples and oranges, I believe they say). You heavily wish and hope that Patterson is better than Morrow, because Morrow is not a Husky ( and not likely to be ). We all want Ayanna to blossom. But comparing the two players you highlighted is not going to give you a winning argument. Morrow is a super star already.
Good grief - so many things wrong in your post I don't even know where to start.

Where did I say Ayanna was better than Aneesah? That I was heavily wising and hoping? And then your whole reply morphed from there. And since neither of them will be entering a wrestling match, we will never know who is stronger, but Ayanna is a beast physically. Oh and she can dunk. We may never see it, but she can. With both hands. Can Morrow dunk? Nope.

What i actually said was "No reason why Ayanna, who I feel is stronger and more athletic than Aneesa, can't succeed in the post.". Especially given that Aneesah is 6'1" and Ayanna is 6'2".

For the most part I was replying to people who seemed to think Ayanna is a natural 3. The point I attempted to make was that I don't know, with her blindness, that she will ever develop a consistent mid-range or 3-point shot. I also said I hope she proves me wrong.

Reaction Score

lol You obviously haven't followed Geno's career.

Reaction Score
I seldom see a true “tip in” in wbb. Most grab the rebound. Land and ( sometimes head fake) then go back up.

Several tips. No in's. (remember Boston vs UConn and Stanford in 21?) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That’s true. So I started thinking of women basketball players who use the pump fake and I stopped very quickly with Paige, who I have seen use it on multiple occasions, including several “and ones.” But then again, that’s Paige who, when healthy, plays at a whole different level than any other women’s basketball player.
While I agree about the lack of pump fakes, this does not stop must women's basketball players from making shots under the basket. Take Carolina and Edwards as examples, both have a variety of moves to shoot around defensive players. Stronger players typically just power the ball through the defender's arms.

Reaction Score
She has very good hands and that is really important in traffic. Her defense is too aggressive and will lead to early foul trouble in every game but if she can iron that out she would be a force on defense. The last and most important area of growth from my perspective is to develop a pull up jumper from 10 feet or so. The only players the team has that can do that now are Paige and Azzi but at AP's size she needs to draw out the defender not push into their body.

I don't think you can compare her to Dorka, she is more of AE type of player. She will make her presence known on offense from 15 feet and closer and will get a bunch of rebounds by being quicker and stronger to the ball than the other team. She really could of helped UCONN break the press against OSU if she had just a little more confidence.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well, the original preseason estimate by many was for 25 dunks in her freshman year. Yeah, expectations were outrageously over inflated.

Give her time. I think her vision issues hampered her adjutment to speed in her freshman year. I expect her to adjust, but it might be at a slightly slower pace.
I'm guilty of that as charged. :( I thought she would throw down at least two "earth-shattering" dunks this past season. I was wayyyy wrong, and I admit it. :confused: I'm tempering my expectations for her this coming year, but I do expect to see a "substantial" improvement.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Too many forget how difficult the transition from high school basketball to D1 basketball really is. On top of that we have playing for UConn. Now let's add the fact that post players/ forwards take longer to acclimated to the game. Expectations become unrealistic.

Next point. Since none of us are privy to practice sessions. We have no idea the progress that is being made by each player, especially the freshman. We don't know what the set goals are for each player, because each player is different.

Ayanna had spots were we caught glimpses of what she can do. It will come. And the same applies to Ice and Jana.

Reaction Score
I've seen AZZI use it also. The complete basketball player will use it instinctively.

Reaction Score
Patterson's physical tools are potentionally dominant and despite sketchy play at times Geno still gave her meaningful minutes so she must be doing things in practice that the coaches like.
She never displayed the quick feet and elevation I saw in the 3X3 games last summer. I do remember that she didn't participate in the dunking contest at 1st Night due to an injury.
I think the game will slow down for her over the summer.

Reaction Score
Good grief - so many things wrong in your post I don't even know where to start.

Where did I say Ayanna was better than Aneesah? That I was heavily wising and hoping? And then your whole reply morphed from there. And since neither of them will be entering a wrestling match, we will never know who is stronger, but Ayanna is a beast physically. Oh and she can dunk. We may never see it, but she can. With both hands. Can Morrow dunk? Nope.

What i actually said was "No reason why Ayanna, who I feel is stronger and more athletic than Aneesa, can't succeed in the post.". Especially given that Aneesah is 6'1" and Ayanna is 6'2".

For the most part I was replying to people who seemed to think Ayanna is a natural 3. The point I attempted to make was that I don't know, with her blindness, that she will ever develop a consistent mid-range or 3-point shot. I also said I hope she proves me wrong.

Why do people think dunking is a sign of athleticism? And Ayanna certainly didn't show off this talent in a UCONN game. I am not going to argue with you, but I would take Morrow every time over Patsy. Anywhere on the court.

Reaction Score
How can you compare Ayanna and Morrow at different schools and different playing environments? If you put Morrow in UConn do you think she can do a better job than Ayanna?

At beginning of season Ayanna did look like she was lost but at end I think she knows how to pass, move and make a shot.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't expect to see Ayanna getting more PT next year due to having more bigs on the team.
It would be a bad sign if Ayanna receives more PT than Jana.
Perhaps Ayanna will receive as much PT as last year if Aubrey doesn't return or if UConn has injured bigs.
IMHO Ayanna will need to improve every facet of her game to not see her PT reduced compared to last year.
Ayanna will need to become more of an elite competitor or else she'll be sitting on the bench a lot more.
Ayanna could end up being 3rd string on the depth chart.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why do people think dunking is a sign of athleticism? And Ayanna certainly didn't show off this talent in a UCONN game. I am not going to argue with you, but I would take Morrow every time over Patsy. Anywhere on the court.
Sorry, but you don't get a pass for misrepresenting what I said.

First of all, you asked "why do people think dunking is a sign of athleticism?" Answer - "umm... because it is?" I don't know how to even argue that. A player who can dunk compared to a player who cannot - one is more athletic than the other. Gabby Williams, Ayanna Patterson and Aubrey Griffin are more athletic than Nika Muhl, Ice Brady and Lou Lopez Senechal.

Your "conclusion" replying to my comments seems to be I think Ayanna is more talented than Aneesah. PLEASE quote where i said that. Again, i will repeat what i said.

"No reason why Ayanna, who I feel is stronger and more athletic than Aneesa (clearly my opinion, not yours), can't succeed in the post."

To repeat, No reason why Ayanna can't succeed in the post. Why does that draw from you the comment that "I would take Morrow every time over Patsy. Anywhere on the court"? It's such an illogical conclusionary opinion to have based on my comments, and nowhere did I say Ayanna is a better player.

Reaction Score
We have had all kinds of comparisons here, but the one that seems to be missing is Aubrey. Ayanna in terms of her tools, is a bigger stronger Aubrey. Similar in that the shooting touch is not very good for a 3, but unlike Aubrey, Ayanna has not learned what she can and can't do against tough Division 1 opponents.

Aubrey manages to score on offensive rebounds, in transition, and slashing to the hoop. Ayanna just overpowered opponents in HS relying on her physical ability and then tried the same approach here. She frequently faces her defender at very close range and expects to just rise up over them, or go thru them. Very little fakes, fading away slightly, or even basic shielding the ball from the defender turning sideways to them and using a half hook over the far shoulder. It's all relying on superior physical skills that is not enough at this level.

Aubrey has learned what she can and can't do at this level, and she and the team have tried to maximize and play to her strengths and minimize her weaknesses. With Ayanna she is at ground zero of that process. She could improve significantly and still play less. Ice and Jana haven't proven anything yet, but they haven't disappointed yet either.

Based on expectations they would both appear to be ahead of Ayanna heading into the season as a 4 alternative, but of course they will be needed a lot at the 5 too. Aubrey is a big threat to her playing time as well. She played mostly on the wing this season, largely because of injuries to Paige, Azzi, and Caroline, but she did very well mostly as a 4 during her first two years. This year Geno could use her at both positions some, and if he wanted to he could have Aubrey consume all of Aaliyah's backup minutes, still have time to use her a fair amount on the wing, and not have to use Ayanna, Ice or Jana at the 4.

Aubrey has proven herself at two positions. Ice and Jana appear to be 4/5 types. Ayanna is still trying to be good at her main position. Last year she had little competition for being Aaliyah's backup, and in a few games Geno still didn't use her. This year she pretty much has three top flight competitors, one already proven and two top prospects, and that is not even taking into account the small ball alternative with Caroline being more of an option there than last year.

A fairly normal progression from freshman to sophomore probably won't be enough. The bar for getting playing time is set pretty high for her this year. I hope she gets there. If she does, Ice and jana can concentrate on the 5, and Aubrey and Caroline could be a super-sub duo in the backcourt, and KK, Ashlyn and Q could have a learning year until an injury occurs.

Reaction Score
... IMO she's a Jamelle Elliott/Barber Turner type player for us (with more talent that allows her to do more)... and this upcoming season, we'll see more of that from her... Rooting hard for her to take that next step next season.. She does that, watch out the rest of the Women's College BBall world... Her stepping up, along with the others coming back off injury... my goodness....
I agree !

Reaction Score
I really have no feel for how Ayanna will do this coming season. She improved last year as the season went on, with limited playing time, which gives hope. She is athletic and plays hard, both good things. There are a lot of areas in her game that need to improve before she has solid starter skills. Hopefully hard work and a season of UConn basketball under her belt will translate to a much improved game.

I have nothing against dunks but don't care if Ayanna ever dunks in a game or not. I do think practicing contested dunks would be helpful. It forces you to go up strong and take and power through contact while keeping firm control of the ball. In a game you can do all the same things and then lay it in.

Up fakes are such a basic move that it seems most good high school players (or those in pick up games for that matter) should do it as a matter of course. If women players really don't up fake as often as they should the reason why is a mystery. It can be taken to an annoying extreme. I watched the 76ers NBA playoff game last night and Harden would use half the shot clock doing up fakes - and then usually drive rather than shoot. Labron is the same way but generally gets of a jumper.

Reaction Score
Harsh assessments on a McD's AA who's only be in here a short period of time... Fact is learning curves aren't the same for everyone once they go up a level... Hopefully Geno has a little more patience than you guys...
I think we all understand what you are saying, but a college BB player shouldn't have a learning curve on layups and FT's.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but you don't get a pass for misrepresenting what I said.

First of all, you asked "why do people think dunking is a sign of athleticism?" Answer - "umm... because it is?" I don't know how to even argue that. A player who can dunk compared to a player who cannot - one is more athletic than the other. Gabby Williams, Ayanna Patterson and Aubrey Griffin are more athletic than Nika Muhl, Ice Brady and Lou Lopez Senechal.

Your "conclusion" replying to my comments seems to be I think Ayanna is more talented than Aneesah. PLEASE quote where i said that. Again, i will repeat what i said.

"No reason why Ayanna, who I feel is stronger and more athletic than Aneesa (clearly my opinion, not yours), can't succeed in the post."

To repeat, No reason why Ayanna can't succeed in the post. Why does that draw from you the comment that "I would take Morrow every time over Patsy. Anywhere on the court"? It's such an illogical conclusionary opinion to have based on my comments, and nowhere did I say Ayanna is a better player.
Dunking is simply a matter of being able to jump high, while holding onto the ball. I have seen 8th graders who can do it. Athleticism is something far beyond that. Athleticism is not standing with the ball in your hands wondering what to do next, or crashing into three opponents while trying to gather a rebound. Or getting stripped of the ball once you catch it. Athleticism is doing all the good stuff ( gain and maintain possession; dish expertly off to another teammate; or take it up court yourself, while avoiding the bad ( turnovers and fouls). You now say ( due to the dunking ability) that Patsy is a better athlete than Muhl. Isn't going full speed up court with the ball, while harassed by two defenders, and still being able to find an open teammate athletic? Isn't grabbing an offensive rebound and taking it end to end for a lay-up a sign of athleticism? Have you seen Patsy ever dribble the ball 6 feet without losing it? If dunking is such a defining skill set of Patterson's game, why did we never see it on the court? Of what athletic value are abilities a player doesn't use? I'm not saying Patsy isn't athletic. Anyone who can play. at this level is a fine athlete. I am just saying that jumping up and dunking is not a sign of " someone special." I mean every player in the NBA can do it. How, then , do you distinguish a Michael Jordan type athlete from the next guy? In the end, I hope you are right. Maybe Patterson can score 26 points per game in the post, as she did in HS. If she does, how many of those 26 are likely to be from dunking the ball?

Reaction Score
I think we all understand what you are saying, but a college BB player shouldn't have a learning curve on layups and FT's.
Are you kidding me? smh... I'd love to see you playing at that level of competition to see how you handle it...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dunking is simply a matter of being able to jump high, while holding onto the ball. I have seen 8th graders who can do it. Athleticism is something far beyond that. Athleticism is not standing with the ball in your hands wondering what to do next, or crashing into three opponents while trying to gather a rebound. Or getting stripped of the ball once you catch it. Athleticism is doing all the good stuff ( gain and maintain possession; dish expertly off to another teammate; or take it up court yourself, while avoiding the bad ( turnovers and fouls). You now say ( due to the dunking ability) that Patsy is a better athlete than Muhl. Isn't going full speed up court with the ball, while harassed by two defenders, and still being able to find an open teammate athletic? Isn't grabbing an offensive rebound and taking it end to end for a lay-up a sign of athleticism? Have you seen Patsy ever dribble the ball 6 feet without losing it? If dunking is such a defining skill set of Patterson's game, why did we never see it on the court? Of what athletic value are abilities a player doesn't use? I'm not saying Patsy isn't athletic. Anyone who can play. at this level is a fine athlete. I am just saying that jumping up and dunking is not a sign of " someone special." I mean every player in the NBA can do it. How, then , do you distinguish a Michael Jordan type athlete from the next guy? In the end, I hope you are right. Maybe Patterson can score 26 points per game in the post, as she did in HS. If she does, how many of those 26 are likely to be from dunking the ball?
OMG you are hysterical and so wrong it's comical. Here's the definition of it. right out of the dictionary

ath·let·i·cism
noun
the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.

You are arguing things that are nonsensical and have zero to do with my original post, nor your incomprehensible replies. Please just stop.

For the 3rd time... It is my opinion that Ayanna is more athletic than Aneesah. There is no reason Ayanna can't be successful in the post.

Reaction Score
She's listed as 6'2" but played/looked much smaller. Because of her athletic ability, most of us thought at the very least she would be a rebounding machine, but that wasnt the case. At this point, really not sure what her best position might be - a 3 or 4. Unfort, she showed near zero offensive moves or mid-range shooting ability, which is concerning for either a 3 or 4. Maybe she needs to model her game after Gabby or Aubrey who has similar athletic body types and both had to develop an offensive game. The problem is I dont think AP will ever be as fast or quick as those 2. At the very least, she needs to develop an 6 to 8-ft shot and have some moves (off the dribble or post-up) near the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom