Leaving the next year is my life up to a boneyard poll

Stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 90 71.4%
  • Go

Votes: 36 28.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Take the job but things are fluid in teaching. Something better may come up.

Reaction Score
Sometimes, families have to struggle for more security.

If your goal is to be involved in school administration, this is a no brainer. How many opportunities are you going to get again to build up a resume? The sooner, the better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This. There is also the union/non-union aspect.

50 min is not impossible though 15k is a hit when you are starting out.

Ask yourself how long it would take you to make that up if all goes according to plan and how the environments and expectations stack up between the two.

Is this a one year detour or a shot in the dark.
One year less towards retirement as a teacher/administrator generally means 2% less for each year that you are retired. So that could be a chunk. You have to ask … will this get you your next job in a public school where you need to be to make $$? Seems many teachers that I know buddy up with administration, get extra experience/responsibilities, and then get a big leg up on future jobs in our school system. Does leaving your current local school system hurt prospects in current system?

Reaction Score
Go into regular teaching for a year(s), grab some experience and join a lot of committees. Try to head some school initiative programs. Start going up the ladder from there (i.e. department head, etc). If you’re a minority, your chances are even greater to becoming an administrator IMO. You don’t want to start losing years toward your retirement. But with that said, you’re certainly going to grab some great experience at the private school and you might be able to use that experience to grab a public administration job that much sooner.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Go into regular teaching for a year(s), grab some experience and join a lot of committees. Try to head some school initiative programs. Start going up the ladder from there (i.e. department head, etc). If you’re a minority, your chances are even greater to becoming an administrator IMO. You don’t want to start losing years toward your retirement. But with that said, you’re certainly going to grab some great experience at the private school and you might be able to use that experience to grab a public administration job that much sooner.
Ahhh why didn’t I think of going into regular teaching before becoming an administrator. I’ve been teaching for 7 years, plus a two year principal internship. Led health and wellness committee, professional learning committee and created a group of related service and special education teachers to improve equity and fidelity of service provided during remote learning last year.

I’m a special education teacher so unfortunately there aren’t as many teacher leader opportunities to seemlessly between teaching as with gen Ed where you can be a department head, instructional coach, team leader, etc

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
15K less for an insane daily commute. That's going to be a hard no, better jobs will come around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Leaving the next year is my life up to a boneyard poll​

If this is really true, then I say you become a barefoot nomadic minstrel living on the kindness of strangers. It will give you great context for the rest of your life.

Eliott GIF by Un si grand soleil

"Yeah, this is bad, but it's not as bad as the year I was a barefoot nomadic minstrel!"

Reaction Score
Ahhh why didn’t I think of going into regular teaching before becoming an administrator. I’ve been teaching for 7 years, plus a two year principal internship. Led health and wellness committee, professional learning committee and created a group of related service and special education teachers to improve equity and fidelity of service provided during remote learning last year.

I’m a special education teacher so unfortunately there aren’t as many teacher leader opportunities to seemlessly between teaching as with gen Ed where you can be a department head, instructional coach, team leader, etc
You didn’t mention that before

Reaction Score
No offense but it’s kind of illogical to think I woke up one day and wanted to be a school administrator without being a teacher
Should’ve given more background information regarding your resume. Have you tried the assistant principal route with your job pursuits? Maybe getting administrative experience for a year or two at the private school may help. Hate to start losing years toward retirement though.

Reaction Score
…or an assistant director or director of student services or special education?

Reaction Score
To me a big factor would be your primary motivation for wanting to be an administrator vs teacher. If you essentially like your current job, and are going into admin for long term advancement ($$), then I would stay put regarding the current offer, and wait for something that was a better overall situation. If you have found that you don't enjoy teaching, and are looking for a career change to get away from something you consider unpleasant, then try a counter offer.

I have a relative that started out teaching, then became a principal and eventually a superintendent. Said he always missed teaching as he rose through the ranks. Also required him and his family to move three of four times over the course of his career in order to go where the opportunities were. He eventually retired on the young side and went back to coaching at a small private school.

Reaction Score
Should’ve given more background information regarding your resume. Have you tried the assistant principal route with your job pursuits? Maybe getting administrative experience for a year or two at the private school may help. Hate to start losing years toward retirement though.

You don't think someone coming from an admin prep program pursued assistant principal jobs? What do you think the 15 interviews were for?

Your advice is pretty lame dude. He asked your thoughts on the two positions. Whether he's done a thorough job during his job search is kind of irrelevant.

Assistant principal jobs are intensely competitive. They are getting 100+ applications in good districts with high pay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom