• Stay

Votes: 90 71.4%
  • Go

Votes: 36 28.6%

• Total voters

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As I’ve discussed a little bit year I just graduated from UConn with my MA in Education Leadership and have been pursuing school administration opportunities this summer.
After about 15 rejections I was finally offered a position!
…50 minutes away
…for $15k less than my teacher pay for the upcoming year
Things to consider…
-Wife and I just bought a house so relocation is not in the cards.
-House was top of budget and cutting the pay that much would make things very very tight …perhaps…
-this position is in a private school so I wouldn’t be paying union dues or contributing to the pension fund which together take a big chunk of my check each week. Without seeing a check from this new place my guess is my take home may be about the same.
-me being on the road for 2 hours a day is not ideal for my wife or toddler.
-this job would likely be just for a year to have an administrative position on my resume.

Reaction Score
To further your career many times you have to make some sacrifices. For only a year you can handle those sacrifices. Hopefully it's just a step up the ladder for a year and you have something better next year.

Reaction Score
CT retirement board is 8.25% of your salary. What are your union dues? Should be able to figure out your take home pay.

With your wife's income you should be able to look at state/federal income brackets and check itout.

Consider talking to your advisor about how much a year in this would help your job prospects next year? I think he's on vacation though until next week, lol.

Reaction Score
As I’ve discussed a little bit year I just graduated from UConn with my MA in Education Leadership and have been pursuing school administration opportunities this summer.
After about 15 rejections I was finally offered a position!
…50 minutes away
…for $15k less than my teacher pay for the upcoming year
Things to consider…
-Wife and I just bought a house so relocation is not in the cards.
-House was top of budget and cutting the pay that much would make things very very tight …perhaps…
-this position is in a private school so I wouldn’t be paying union dues or contributing to the pension fund which together take a big chunk of my check each week. Without seeing a check from this new place my guess is my take home may be about the same.
-me being on the road for 2 hours a day is not ideal for my wife or toddler.
-this job would likely be just for a year to have an administrative position on my resume.

A 50-minute commute is not bad. Living in Stamford and commuting to NYC I would pray for a 50-min commute.

$15K is tough but perhaps you could make it up over the summer when school is out of session. Side hustles

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A 50-minute commute is not bad. Living in Stamford and commuting to NYC I would pray for a 50-min commute.

$15K is tough but perhaps you could make it up over the summer when school is out of session. Side hustles
Consider if the 50 minute commute is at all times, during rush hour, is it highway only, etc. Some commutes can double based on circumstances.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have you looked into the backgrounds of people who currently occupy the positions that you want? Did any of them start out in a private school? Do you have any common acquaintances who can make an introduction so you can get their sense of the value of the position you were looking at?

What happened to the guy before you? If he left for another job where did he go? Any common acquaintances with him?

If you decide that this position isn’t worth a pay cut, or at least as big a pay cut, don’t turn it down, counter offer. Express your interest and enthusiasm in the opportunity but explain that the numbers don’t work for you. If they like you, ther could be movement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would give up many thousands of dollars in income for 2 extra hours per day with my toddler. Just my 2 cents, as everyone's situation is different.
It’s great that you understand that now. Most people don’t figure it out until their kids have graduated from college.

Reaction Score
Have you looked into the backgrounds of people who currently occupy the positions that you want? Did any of them start out in a private school? Do you have any common acquaintances who can make an introduction so you can get their sense of the value of the position you were looking at?

What happened to the guy before you? If he left for another job where did he go? Any common acquaintances with him?

If you decide that this position isn’t worth a pay cut, or at least as big a pay cut, don’t turn it down, counter offer. Express your interest and enthusiasm in the opportunity but explain that the numbers don’t work for you. If they like you, ther could be movement.
This. Lay it out there honestly/sincerely. You want the job but cannot make it work. Be prepared for what number will make it work though. If they come up five grand…are you in?

Reaction Score
CTRB Pension is very strong. Good foundation for retirement. Will new school offer a pension (if so probably no where near as strong), or will it be a 403b type plan. If your plan is to go there for a year, and then come back into CTRB then it might be a good play. Higher Income = higher percentage payout later on.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You're not paying union dues but you won't be in a union. You won't be paying into a pension but you won't get a pension.
It would just be for a year, two max. One fewer years putting into the pension isn’t much a dealbreaker for me. Job does offer 401k after a year

Reaction Score
I changed my vote to stay.

For the past handful of years I had a 45 minute commute from MA into CT to teach at a great school.

It wore me down more than you can ever imagine - factor in coaching hoops at a different school in the winter (luckily on way home). No real strain on marriage, but it definitely didn't help!

New job is a 17 minute commute, so the full daily commute is shorter than one way of my last...

Makes a HUGE difference. That's why I changed my vote to stay, you can't take a pay cut, just continue to build your resume and touch it up with admin experience and the next carrousel will be your reward.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of studies that show how much long commutes cause unhappiness. They're legitimately one of the biggest decreases in happiness.

Long commute + worse pay = a no for me dog. Keep applying for elsewhere and stay patient for another year if need be.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Which path puts you on a more lucrative trajectory in 2-5 years?

This. There is also the union/non-union aspect.

50 min is not impossible though 15k is a hit when you are starting out.

Ask yourself how long it would take you to make that up if all goes according to plan and how the environments and expectations stack up between the two.

Is this a one year detour or a shot in the dark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom