OT: - Leaderboard USGA Women's Open....starts Thursday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Leaderboard USGA Women's Open....starts Thursday

Reaction Score
Golf people in this country just keep hoping for a star, to compete with the South Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai players. The pressure on the Korda sisters and Lexi Thompson has been immense. Unfair to them, and Rose Zhang is next to have to deal with that.

Reaction Score
for me Tennis & Golf are so boring to watch but can be fun to play
Agree to disagree, From France... some of my favorite sports watching experiences were seeing the Borg/Connors, Federer/Nadal, Graf/Navratilova matches, and so many others.

As for golf, my single most exciting experience was seeing the US/Euro 14-14 tie at the 1989 Ryder Cup in England. I played tons of competitive golf but, these days, with only the vestiges of good golf left in me, it's lots more relaxing for me to watch great golf than to struggle for pars.

Milford, thanks for the photos last night. I hope you're still out there, soaking it all in for us. I can almost feel that wonderful ocean air and those gusts of wind, reminiscent for me of playing the west coast courses in Ireland.

I'm loving watching Peacock's feature group coverage of Minjee Lee and Rose Zhang. The handheld and drone camera angles are so much better than what we get on network coverage, plus the on-course commentator is Wake's Emilia Migliaccio. Emilia did double-duty the first two rounds, commentating and playing... she missed the cut by just one stroke, pretty good for a part-time player.

From France, good for you that you still get out there to play golf and especially Tennis!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IMG_1231.jpeg

Your winner on the way to the 2nd tee after a birdie on the 1st.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rose Zhang has a solid tournament, finishing at +1 (11 birdies, 10 bogeys, and a double). She tied for 9th. In 3 tournaments as a pro, she has finished 1st, T8 (Women's PGA Championship), and T9 (U.S. Women's Open).

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Super solid effort by Allisen...all 4 days under par...wins by 3. The linked article has some info on her background...first
major win...only 25...comes from Hawaii. Ball-striking is her strength but made several key putts on Sunday.

Next big one up for the women: The Open [aka British Open] at Walton Heath Club. Never heard of it till a google this morning...sounds very traditional and admired. BTW: Old Course next year at St. Andrews!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Allisen Corpuz is the new Hawaiian sensation. She won by 3 today.
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but another Hawaiian golf sensation, Michelle Wie retired from professional golf after failing to make the cut.
I first saw Wie when she was 15 or 16 playing in a Hawaii amateur competition at the Fazio course on Oahu. I ended up following her for the entire round. I knew she was special. Unfortunately, injuries, awful management and her own immaturity got in the way.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Golf people in this country just keep hoping for a star, to compete with the South Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai players. The pressure on the Korda sisters and Lexi Thompson has been immense. Unfair to them, and Rose Zhang is next to have to deal with that.
Quite a few years ago I attended an LPGA tournament in NJ. I think it was Lexi Thompson's debut as a pro. After the 2nd round as we were leaving we walked by the practice range. There was one American golfer, a couple of Europeans and the rest of the range was packed with Asian golfers, their coaches and their parents. I saw the writing on the wall that day.

Reaction Score
Quite a few years ago I attended an LPGA tournament in NJ. I think it was Lexi Thompson's debut as a pro. After the 2nd round as we were leaving we walked by the practice range. There was one American golfer, a couple of Europeans and the rest of the range was packed with Asian golfers, their coaches and their parents. I saw the writing on the wall that day.
I have become a fan of athletes, not automatically of American athletes. I marvel at the mental approach and discipline of the Asian golfers. A lot to be learned from them; American players should pay more attention to what they're doing. Though, I think many American athletes spend more time reading their press clippings, and less time on the range.

Reaction Score
Corpuz seemed to handle the pressure well. We have another American title holder!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Dates: The Open for women...August 10-13.
For the men: July 20-23.

Se Ri Pak won the U.S. Open back in 1998. That win jump/ kick-started Asian interest in golf...especially
the women's game. I doubt that will ebb...especially given China's new focus on the game [think they
want to gather a few gold medals in the Olympics for international prestige?]

That Asian interest has undoubtedly made the LPGA tour deeper and stronger than 30 year ago.
The quality of play....of instruction...of courses they now play....has soared. Many Asian players now
come to the United States on golf scholarships and that gives them a heads-up over their Asian peers in terms
of adjustment to the new surroundings....a la Jana Elalfy coming to UConn last January as a frosh.

As noted above the talent the Asian players bring is enhanced by super focus on their games...work ethic
second to none. Even American commentators have made the occasional reference to their time spent on the game
compared to many American players. Obviously exceptions do exist.

Title 9 has been great for American women...that is true for golf as well as other sports. Whether our best can rise to the
next level [or not] will be interesting to see.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but another Hawaiian golf sensation, Michelle Wie retired from professional golf after failing to make the cut.
I first saw Wie when she was 15 or 16 playing in a Hawaii amateur competition at the Fazio course on Oahu. I ended up following her for the entire round. I knew she was special. Unfortunately, injuries, awful management and her own immaturity got in the way.
Michelle Wie screwed up to begin her career by only opting to play in mens tournaments. I don't know if it was her mother, but she could have had a better career if she joined the LPGA from the beginning and not push this mens thing. I guess her mother thought she was too good for the women pros, but that was soon disproved.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I was rooting for Carpoz and Tardy. Tardy was ranked 433 in the world with her best finish in a LPGA event at #35. She never made a cut in 5 majors played, and her biggest paycheck was $35,000, and not on the LPGA tour. I believe she took hope over $400,000 this time. This should be an about face with her confidence and carry her the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Corpuz seemed to handle the pressure well. We have another American title holder!
The way she handled herself,thought there has to be some Asian genes. Cool,calm, and collected.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Watching the groups go by, it seemed that almost every one included a Hawaiian, Asian-American, Asian-New Zealander, or Asian. Several were VERY popular.

Reaction Score
Watching the groups go by, it seemed that almost every one included a Hawaiian, Asian-American, Asian-New Zealander, or Asian. Several were VERY popular.
Haven’t seen JiYai Shin that I remember… they said she was a 2-time winner of The Open, but about 10 years ago. Been staying closer to home for family and playing mostly in Japan. I liked her game. Looking forward to seeing how she does back in The Open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom