Dormie
Reaction Score
U.S. Women's Open 2023 - LPGA Golf Leaderboard | ESPN
Site Pebble Beach
Purse 11 million...winner to get 2 million...biggest numbers ever

Main TV schedule
Thursday and Friday 6-11 USA
Saturday and Sunday 3-9 NBC

weather forecast every day...slight chance of rain...moderate winds...high around 60 degrees

Note: first time ever for prime time TV for the women....prime time course and purse.

Keep an eye on rookie Rose Zhang. Just left Stanford after 2 years there...dominated college and
amateur play. First ever event as a pro...couple of weeks go....won it...first time that has happened.
The women's game is in very good shape....the more Rose contends/wins the better for the game...imo.

Getting significant hype...very very cool customer on the course from what I have seen.
TV ratings will want her in contention late Sunday.

Women have 5 majors....this is #2 in 2023....but number 1 in terms of prestige.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rose set the NCAA scoring record as a freshman, then broke it as a sophomore. She averaged 69.24. She also won back-to-back NCAA championships, the first woman to do that.

One threesome will include Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie West, who will retire after the tourney at age 33.

Milford will be on the course representing the Boneyard on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. One of my favorite places.

Reaction Score
Site Pebble Beach

Main TV schedule

weather forecast every day...slight chance of rain...moderate winds...high around 60 degrees

Note: first time ever for prime time TV for the women....prime time course and purse.

Keep an eye on rookie Rose Zhang. Just left Stanford after 2 years there...dominated college and
amateur play. First ever event as a pro...couple of weeks go....won it...first time that has happened.
The women's game is in very good shape....the more Rose contends/wins the better for the game...imo.

Getting significant hype...very very cool customer on the course from what I have seen.

Rose set the NCAA scoring record as a freshman, then broke it as a sophomore. She averaged 69.24. She also won back-to-back NCAA championships, the first woman to do that.

One threesome will include Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie West, who will retire after the tourney at age 33.

Milford will be on the course representing the Boneyard on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. One of my favorite places.
Thanks so much, Blake, for getting this thread started, and Milford, I'll be living vicariously through your experience at Pebble.

It was long overdue a few years ago when the women started getting to play some of the iconic courses across The Pond in their Open Championship, and finally the USGA took that cue for its U.S. Open tournament.

Pebble might not be the very best course I've played, but the experience of playing there (back in '93 when I still had the semblance of a golf game) ranks right at or near the top. I can't wait to watch as much as possible of this tournament. Looks like they'll have wonderful weather, and get a taste of those Pacific breezes several rounds.

As for Rose Zhang, she is remarkably mature for a young player and seemingly a classy young woman. I just hope media doesn't forget everyone else on the course when she's playing, as they did with Tiger Woods for many years.

And yes, Milford, she did win two NCAA individual titles, an awesome double, but her final college performance was a very poor round vs. Brianna Navarossa of Southern Cal in the team semifinals. Her loss cost Stanford the chance to win another team title, and opened the door for my Deacons to earn the championship the next day!

Have a great time, Milford, and travel safely. Blake, like me, enjoy watching from the comfort of our armchairs!;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think I read in the Post the other day that Zhang also has the women's single-round record at Pebble Beach.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think I read in the Post the other day that Zhang also has the women's single-round record at Pebble Beach.

Yes, she shot 63 in the Carmel Cup, hitting all 18 greens. Caddies were not allowed to help, other than carrying clubs. She was in the zone, for sure. Course conditions will be noticeably tougher this week.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Michelle said she wanted to play against the men. That was a stretch. Annika Sorenstam played against the men and didn't make the cut. Annika had 72 wins on the LPGA tour; Michelle had 5.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Michelle got HUGE hype in her teen years...a la Tiger Woods. A lot got in her way....injuries/some entitlement
attitude [inherited from parents?]/some stubbornness about playing in men's events...game generally got worse in those tourneys. A good career...ending Sunday at 33...but way short of expectations. She has been very good for the game....very popular with fans...and increasingly with maturity a wonderful role model. The article suggests she is very
conflicted about retiring but clearly wants to stay in it in some way.

FWIW: Olde Coach [excellent golfer...a pro at one point for a couple of years] and I went to see Michelle play in
the USGA Junior Amateur in Fairfield in 2003...she was just 13. Beautiful swing...hit it a ton...lost in an early round match play round. Frankly her priorities in those formative years were not playing in top flight amateur events but rather getting invitations to LPGA and PGA tournaments. In retrospect she might have played against her peers more and learned to better finish off events.

FWIW#2: Michelle Wie West. Husband is Jonnie West....director of basketball operations for Golden State...son of Jerry West. You might guess that their children would be a tad athletic...and tall [Geno take note].

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Site Pebble Beach

Main TV schedule

Actually she is the second to do it in the LPGA. In 1951 Beverly Hanson won he pro debut event at the Eastern Open. It was held at the Berkshire Country Club in Reading, PA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rose has birdied 3 and 4. She’s -2 and 2 back early in her round.

Annika shot 80, with a triple and 5 bogies. Michelle shot 79 after a triple on 18.

Reaction Score
Watched until it got dark. If the rough was as long and thick when Watson won his only Open he wouldn't have won. Tom always had trouble spraying his teeshots but the USGA thought that if they grew the rough to usual standards and the weather went south the course would be unplayable.

The greens late today looked slow and the rough is penal. Not slow for an Open, slow for a weekend round at a public course. 16 hours of sunshine I guess. I was hoping to see some great shots and there were some but I saw too many missed greens from fairways 150 yards away. What I always love though are the long and graceful swings.

Reaction Score
Rose has birdied 3 and 4. She’s -2 and 2 back early in her round.

Annika shot 80, with a triple and 5 bogies. Michelle shot 79 after a triple on 18.
Blake and Milford, I have no doubt Rose Zhang will be a really good pro, and possibly for many years. Yet the hoopla around her is nuts. Even if she were to win this tournament (and from what I saw watching her play 18 holes today, it seems unlikely), she's still got a long way to go to deserve comparison with the greats... sadly, many people are already doing that.

Let the young woman play golf for a while and see what she has. Remember how Lydia Ko's career took a nosedive in her late teens? Remember how Michelle Wie failed miserably to achieve what had been forecast of her? How about Paula Creamer?

Do you even remember Yanni Tseng? Six majors wins by the age of 22 but, now, at 34, she hasn't made the cut in a major in seven years and has not won a tournament in 11 years.

Thankfully, Lydia has bounced back admirably... still, women's professional golf is littered with lots of can't miss, all-time greats who missed.

Let's watch to see how Rose handles not winning most of her tournaments. As I said, I expect her to be very good, but the attention given her right now is nuts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Blake and Milford, I have no doubt Rose Zhang will be a really good pro, and possibly for many years. Yet the hoopla around her is nuts. Even if she were to win this tournament (and from what I saw watching her play 18 holes today, it seems unlikely), she's still got a long way to go to deserve comparison with the greats... sadly, many people are already doing that.

Let the young woman play golf for a while and see what she has. Remember how Lydia Ko's career took a nosedive in her late teens? Remember how Michelle Wie failed miserably to achieve what had been forecast of her? How about Paula Creamer?

Do you even remember Yanni Tseng? Six majors wins by the age of 22 but, now, at 34, she hasn't made the cut in a major in seven years and has not won a tournament in 11 years.

Thankfully, Lydia has bounced back admirably... still, women's professional golf is littered with lots of can't miss, all-time greats who missed.

Let's watch to see how Rose handles not winning most of her tournaments. As I said, I expect her to be very good, but the attention given her right now is nuts.

We have no idea how good Rose will be as a pro. Annika was very, very good, but retired basically on top, because she wanted to have a family. Lorena Ochoa was just about as good, but for about half the duration. The thing about Rose is that her amateur career was unparalleled. Her pro career began with a win and then an 8th place finish in a major. She hasn't done much yet, but she has impressed. But, as you note, time will tell. One season does not a career make.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Ladies EPSON Tour will start next week at Great River Golf Club in Milford. The EPSON Tour is the stepping stone to the LPGA tour. Should be a great event to see how these professional golfers play such a demanding course as Great River. If you have a love affair with golf like I do I hope to see you there.

Reaction Score
We have no idea how good Rose will be as a pro. Annika was very, very good, but retired basically on top, because she wanted to have a family. Lorena Ochoa was just about as good, but for about half the duration. The thing about Rose is that her amateur career was unparalleled. Her pro career began with a win and then an 8th place finish in a major. She hasn't done much yet, but she has impressed. But, as you note, time will tell. One season does not a career make.
I hope you're having a great time, Milford. I've played Pebble just once and was in awe at the scenery... just what nature can be at its finest. As much fun as I had playing there in '93 (from the tips with three long-hitting Navy guys on holiday from their San Diego base), I think maybe just walking the course might be as enjoyable.

I wonder if any other BYers are there. Perhaps The FarmFan? Hopefully he's calmed down from his fit of anger at my cautionary post about Rose Zhang's prospects for greatness. Perhaps my message struck a bit too close to The Farm...;)

Take a photo or three, Milford, and share them with us (if that's permissible). Cheers!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I drove down from SFO today and had some delays, but got there just as Annika, Michelle, and In Gee Chun were teeing off. Near the 2nd tee, I yelled to Annika, "Nice putt" on the first hole (for par). She looked at me and said, "Thanks." It made my week.

Annika was very rusty. I think she hit 12 of 14 fairways, but only 4 of 18 greens. Though she made several tough par putts, she missed a few, especially on the tougher back nine. She played the first 10 holes in +1, but then found the bogey train to finish +7 for the day after pull-hooking her drive on to the rocks on 18 (it was low tide). All day long, people were yelling, "We love you, Annika." She acknowledged the appreciation and tossed her golf ball well into the grandstands on 18. Annika's son and a buddy were following her. He didn't seem all that impressed with Mom's game. Annika's second husband Mike McGee, caddied for her today.

Michelle still has a nice fluid swing, but her short game was very weak today until the end. She started by leaving her lag putt about 8' short on #1 and missing the next one. Reportedly, she was very emotional all day. She started with 3 bogeys in the first 5 holes, but settled into the round. Her husband, Jonnie West, son of the NBA logo, Jerry West, caddied for Michelle. She put a punctuation mark on her career by holing a downhill 30-footer on 18 for par. Her family followed her around, wearing matching attire, including her 3-year old daughter, who barely fit in her stroller.

The 3rd member of the group was In Gee Chun, a solid Korean golfer, who won the 2015 U.S. Open and 2022 PGA Championship. She was very popular, especially with the Korean-American fanbase. She started slowly, and had a mishap on #8 for double-bogey, but she impressed everyone, including me, with birdie putts of 19' on 5, 30' on 12, 28' on 13, and 14' downhill on 16. In contrast, Annika and Michelle combined for zero birdies over 36 holes. I could see In Gee winning--she looked that good.

The golf course looked immaculate. I was surprised, though, that there were grandstands on only 17 and 18. In contrast, for the Men's Open and AT&T at Pebble, there are grandstands on most holes.

I expect to follow Rose tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I watched on tv so my impression may be off. But it looked to me like the leaders, Tardy and Corpuz, benefitted from playing early. The conditions seemed to deteriorate later in the day.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The first page of the leaderboard has very little 'star sizzle'. I'm hoping the lead after
Saturday is around 5 under....and that some of that sizzle can be restored with excellent rounds by those who are still
[kinda] in the mix...for example Rose Zhang at 1 over. Needs a 67 or 68 to get close.

Looking forward to MilfordHusky's on course wisdom.

The players who went off late Thursday/early Friday did seem to get the better weather deal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The greens definitely get bumpier in the afternoon. The winds may pick up too. It was 56 degrees when Annika, Michelle, and In Gee finished at about 7:30.

I was chatting with a few 20-somethings yesterday. One of the guys caddies at ultra-elite Cypress Point.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IMG_1219.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member