Latest AP Rankings | The Boneyard

Latest AP Rankings

Reaction Score
1000006706.jpg
1000006704.jpg

Reaction Score
Not that rankings really matter, but how is Iowa ahead of UConn this week? Make it make sense.
I think this poll was pretty good overall based on what has taken place so far. You could make a case for rearranging any of the three 4-7. My guess is the Uconn and LSU losses were considered worse than the Iowa one which was close and to a team that beat them the prior year too. But it was at home, so that works in the opposite direction.

In general I think a couple of impressive wins would not elevate Uconn above the top ranked teams without a loss. as long as they stay that way. The nice thing is the PAC 12 final year of competition insures that 2 of those three are guaranteed to have another loss. South Carolina in theory could run the table, but LSU, Tennessee and others including us could knock them off.

It is early, but I hope we can at least get into the top 4 and secure a #1 seed by year end. That is a worthy and doable goal health permitting.

Reaction Score
My personal feeling is Colorado and UCLA are overrated in this poll. Yes, Colorado stole a win, but I think LSU was just primed for the upset. Are they really the #3 team in the country because of that upset? By that measure, Kansas State should be in the top 5 today. And UCLA hasn't played anyone particularly challenging, except for unranked Princeton.

None of it really matters anyway, but I just have to shake my head and wonder sometimes what voters think about.

Reaction Score
All the pre-season polls are just grist for the mill. Everyone has their opinions and wishful thinking on where their teams should be in the early polls. In the top 25 there are only 4 teams that have a chance at No1 at the end of the season and there is no guarantee that they will make it. AS A Die hard Uconn fan, I believe we have the best chance at No1, with the 4 Newbies and our core five( praying they stay healthy) , we have the fire power and defense to win it. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Bored at work and put this together for ha-has. So far, South Carolina and Colorado are most impressive to me. After UConn of course.

Miss State strength of schedule should be 232.

View attachment 93237
ND beat two B1G teams (whacked a Northwestern squad and beat a pretty good Illinois squad) but lost points in the AP pool. Got to wonder if the S. Carolina beat-down will hang with AP voters for awhile (along with the relentless reminding that Miles is out and now Citron is). Well, the SoS is solid and the coaches have the Irish just about where I'd put them. Like you say, let's see if all this will make them stronger in February/March.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UConn beat two FBC teams in (then) ranked Maryland at home and Minny on the road since they played while State has beaten mid majors Elon and Rhode Island, both on their home court

Maybe he meant how were they ranked ahead of State in last weeks poll after losing to them by double digits?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BTW, South Carolina now have the 2nd longest streak in the AP poll. That streak will last for awhile.

Terps out of the top 25 for the first time in 13 years. They had the second longest current streak. SC has the 2nd longest current streak now, 209 weeks. UConn is at 567 (about 30 years). Can the Gamecocks get to 500?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn jumped over Utah and LSU and is just slightly behind Iowa.

The men are at #5/#4 and have a big game tonight.

Reaction Score
In the case of any team with only one primary scorer, like Iowa, I feel pretty good about UConn's future chances. We have 2 outstanding defenders in Aubrey and Nika, three if you add KK.
I think you may have totally under valued Paige's defense. She has been terrific and it is often overlooked by her other attributes. I'm thinking that Geno might have had a discussion with a past player about her game with UCLA .:D

Reaction Score
How is UConn ahead of NC State?
UConn got punished hard for losing to that "unranked" team. Just maybe they were pretty good! I do see your point but haven't researched who else NC State has played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom