Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
against P6/Tournament teams Brea went 47/82 or about 57.3% from 3, a 13 game sample, 6 at a neutral site, and 2 16 seeds solid sample size but we can only assume.

Reaction Score
If you watched him play over 30 times you wouldn't say such negative things about him.
Cam had the worst man on defense on the UConn team - Tristen being a close 2nd.
I'll take either player but you are way off on Brea - calling him a negative is ridiculous.
He was sixth man of the year in the conference twice and led the nation in 3 pt shooting last season at a 49,8% clip (208 taken).
He probably will not be an all NBE player but he can score the ball.
As I said I we can agree to disagree & I respect your opinion. Remember my original statement is I would take him on UConn- the discussion between us was more of which player would have a bigger impact in Brea or McNeely & I think McNeely & you think Brea. Great discussion- thanks for the debate- appreciate it!

Reaction Score
Because despite the high percentages, he doesn't shoot the ball a lot. He averaged 7.5 FGA per game this year and had a 16% usage rate. For reference Cam Spencer was 10 FGA per game this season and a 19% usage rate, and even at Rutgers was at 10 FGA and a 25% usage rate.
He hasn’t shown the ability yet in college to create his own shot or be a playmaker- part of the reason his usage rate is low.

Reaction Score
Because despite the high percentages, he doesn't shoot the ball a lot. He averaged 7.5 FGA per game this year and had a 16% usage rate. For reference Cam Spencer was 10 FGA per game this season and a 19% usage rate, and even at Rutgers was at 10 FGA and a 25% usage rate.
Yup. Yet he still managed to average 14ppg in the BE. Also a 4th year guy who shoots that well you have to ask why his usage rate was so low. Im not saying he sucks and i hope he comes here im just asking questions no one else seems to be asking. I just find it odd that a guy that looks that good on tape isnt a primary option on his team.

Reaction Score
Borges says we're looking at a freshman for a shooter role (likely McNeeley).
If Karaban goes (or if he stays), UConn will be in the market for a shooter, with Cam Spencer and Tristen Newton both out of eligibility. The Huskies will more likely fill that need through either a 2024 recruit or an international player
There is always the possibility of a transfer or two down the roster, but that doesn't seem to be a big concern. The Huskies, particularly if Karaban returns, could end up having surprisingly little unexpected roster movement by the time next season tips off in November.
The international player thing is a bit out of left field.

Reaction Score
Would love to get this kid!! He fits our system so well as a three-point assassin. I see a combination of Hawkins and Spencer. Don’t kid yourself, this kid’s likely getting starter minutes if he commits.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If we’re going to go smaller at the 1 and 5 I’d like to have some height at the 2 and 3. Brea and McNeeley would be perfect.

Reaction Score
If we’re going to go smaller at the 1 and 5 I’d like to have some height at the 2 and 3. Brea and McNeeley would be perfect.

Not sure we're going smaller at the 5. If Reed comes here, that's a 6'10 265 center. That's a pretty big boy. Having true 7-footers is pretty uncommon even at our level. There's just not very many of them.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the clips?!? He didn't go to the rim very often, but when he did, he threw one down with authority. I don't think Cam dunked the ball even once this year. Cam has a solid build that handled a lot of contact. Koby has a slighter build which is probably why he doesn't go into the paint much. Might do him some good to hit the weight room during the off season so that he can broaden his game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cam's game. He was very crafty and good scorer from anywhere on the floor, but scoring over a defender was definitely not his game. Brea seems to spend most of the time beyond the arc, but did show some mid range game and a couple of athletic plays at the rim, including a couple of nice weakside blocks.

I thought he looked more athletic than Cam. Not saying he'll be a better player. Spencer was special. His intensity is unmatched. He made up for his lack of athleticism by being so crafty on both ends of the floor. He'd jump into passing lanes, similar to Nadav back in the day. He used misdirection to shake his defender and make just enough space to kiss it off the glass.

The fact is Cam used up his eligibility, and Brea looks like a nice fit. He's probably more of a Jordan Hawkins "type" player than Cam Spencer, and Hurley found a way to win the NC with both.
“More athletic” is fine. Cam said his crafty layup over Edey was the highest he jumped in years.

But “a more athletic version of Cam” is not okay. You’re talking about one of the best players in the ncaa last year whose (maybe only) deficiency was his athleticism. I’d accept “a more athletic Joey Cali” though :)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Which is fine, we're recruiting him to be a shooter. I promise it's ok to say positive things about him and McNeely, nobody will get mad

I think his point, which is correct, is people are seeing great shooting numbers and a 6’6 athlete and acting like Jordan is showing up.

Ebonz is right, he’s nowhere near the player some posters are surmising. He’s also not the complete player McNeeley is. But he shoots it GREAT.

I didn’t see Ebonz saying anything wrong or overly negative, just real. This kid IS being recruited as a shooter, NOT as some unknown freak athlete 6’6 future NBA HOF.

Reaction Score
I think his point, which is correct, is people are seeing great shooting numbers and a 6’6 athlete and acting like Jordan is showing up.

Ebonz is right, he’s nowhere near the player some posters are surmising. He’s also not the complete player McNeeley is. But he shoots it GREAT.

I didn’t see Ebonz saying anything wrong or overly negative, just real. This kid IS being recruited as a shooter, NOT as some unknown freak athlete 6’6 future NBA HOF.
No poster is surmising he is an all time great player. Thats a straw man. Posters are excited because we know what Hurley can do with shooters and we need size in the wings.

Reaction Score

Nobody thinks Jordan is showing up, he's one of the best shooters in the portal and that's something next year's team desperately needs.

And he's absolutely being overly negative, there's no other way to read some of his posts in this thread. This one in particular

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Nobody thinks Jordan is showing up, he's one of the best shooters in the portal and that's something next year's team desperately needs.

And he's absolutely being overly negative, there's no other way to read some of his posts in this thread. This one in particular

Ok. You read his posts are overly negative, I read the posters he’s responding to as overly positive about this kids game, and he’s simply adding reality.

Maybe you missed some of earlier hyperbolic excitement.

PS I just read his post you quoted again, and I see nothing overly negative, rather pointing out what the kid doesn’t do as well as some are suggesting. That’s just his reality based opinion.

Reaction Score
Ok. You read his posts are overly negative, I read the posters he’s responding to as overly positive about this kids game, and he’s simply adding reality.

PS I just read his post you quoted again, and I see nothing overly negative, rather pointing out what the kid doesn’t do as well as some are suggesting. That’s just his reality based opinion.
Show me the hyperbolic excitement. You’re making that up. One poster made a ridiculous statement. Everyone else is just excited to recruit a legitimate big wing who can shoot

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Show me the hyperbolic excitement. You’re making that up. One poster made a ridiculous statement. Everyone else is just excited to recruit a legitimate big wing who can shoot

First show me what Ebonz said that was overly negative, and I can show you what he responded to.

We disagree about him being overly negative, he was saying this dude isn’t the overall player McNeeley is or will be. Thats (my opinion too) true, not overly negative.

Reaction Score

You don't even have to go past the first sentence, I'll paste it here so it's easy to find.

Go watch the tape- he has been a negative in every other aspect besides his shooting- reason on a borderline NCAA Tournament team over the 4 years he rarely ever started- also in a non power conference that hasn’t been as good as it usually as of late.

Besides the fact that saying "besides his shooting" about a 48% 3 point shooter on 6 attempts per game is an absurd starting premise, knocking a 2 time 6th man of the year award winner, who averaged 26 and 29 minutes a game in those seasons, for not starting is crazy.

Would any UConn fan not want Hassan Diarra back because he was only coming off the bench? Of course not, because he was incredibly important, played a lot of minutes, and was on the court at the ends of games when it mattered. That's part of the reason half the board wants him in a bench role again next year, because there's value in having dependable guys on the bench

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
100 for 201 last year from 3. Don’t care about his size, athleticism, what food he prefers or anything just sign him up on the stairway to 7.
Do we know why he was coming off the bench? Strange that you get a mid-major bench guy basically getting his pick of high major school to transfer to.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
By the way, I like him and Hausen as snipers and may be as high on them as others, just as shooters in a role, not as multi-dimensional, high level starting 2s.

Freshman or not, McNeeley IS that in addition to a shooter. Of course, this kid is proven and older, so he’s got benefits too. I’m not against him I just didn’t think Ebonz said anything except his honest opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom