Kimani Young candidate at Illinois | The Boneyard

Kimani Young candidate at Illinois

Reaction Score
Seeing online and Illinois message board that he’s in the mix at Illinois.

Reaction Score
They were paying Antigua 420k a year so it's certainly possible they could give him a big bump in pay.

That program is reeling though and Kimani is going to be his best self in the northeast where his recruiting will be optimized.

I am guessing it won't happen bc of that. His next stop will be a head coaching gig.

No inside info just thinking out loud

Reaction Score
They were paying Antigua 420k a year so it's certainly possible they could give him a big bump in pay.

That program is reeling though and Kimani is going to be his best self in the northeast where his recruiting will be optimized.

I am guessing it won't happen bc of that. His next stop will be a head coaching gig.

No inside info just thinking out loud
According to the Illinois message board he is a top 3 candidate and as one poster said , “his salary at UConn is chicken feed”. They likely could double it. That being said I think al pinkins is still number one for that job.UConn needs to counter if true.

Reaction Score
According to the Illinois message board he is a top 3 candidate and as one poster said , “his salary at UConn is chicken feed”. They likely could double it. That being said I think al pinkins is still number one for that job.

He makes 320k here. More than their assistants other than Antigua. Antigua made 425--there's NO way they're doubling his salary. I would imagine a 50k bump or a little more is possible but not much more. Kimani is great, but he hasn't earned a top 5 salary in college basketball yet.

And I just saw Kofi is back so Illinois will actually be top 25 again probably. Looks like some sites have us ranked higher pre-season though. We're trending up--Illinois is trending exactly the opposite direction, though they did have a brilliant last couple years with Ayo.

Last edited:

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
According to the Illinois message board he is a top 3 candidate and as one poster said , “his salary at UConn is chicken feed”. They likely could double it. That being said I think al pinkins is still number one for that job.UConn needs to counter if true.
LOL Midwesterners have weird analogies. If they want to pay Kimani $700k / year then I wouldn’t blame him at all

Reaction Score
Pinkins makes $315k at Florida, Kimani currently makes $330k. In 2020 they paid Antigua $350k and Coleman $225k lol. Would really prefer Illinois just go back into the hole they came from.

Reaction Score
Pinkins makes $315k at Florida, Kimani currently makes $330k. In 2020 they paid Antigua $350k and Coleman $225k lol. Would really prefer Illinois just go back into the hole they came from.

I used this info. I wonder if they're including recruiting/travel stipend and such here.

Regardless, they can't really pay him much more. I don't see how this would be a step up for him. Especially considering that he's been a candidate for head coaching jobs already.

But these rumors come with the territory when you have talented assistants. It is what it is.

Reaction Score

That being said if Illinois offers to double it not much we can do. But if UConn can compete with them money wise, now is the time to do it.

Reaction Score
That being said if Illinois offers to double it not much we can do. But if UConn can compete with them money wise, now is the time to do this. Recruits would be in jeopardy at that point.
Sure they can, but they seem to lack perspective and awareness. Hopefully they just go with the Florida coach. Sounds like they need someone to coach the Bigs anway which Kimani is more guard focused.

The program appears extremely desperate this point.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Sure they can, but they seem to lack perspective and awareness. Hopefully they just go with the Florida coach. Sounds like they need someone to coach the Bigs anway which Kimani is more guard focused.

The program appears extremely desperate this point.
It’s pretty funny, after years of Big 10 basement dwelling, the program strings together a couple of good regular seasons and the fan base thinks they’re God’s gift to college basketball

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He makes 320k here. More than their assistants other than Antigua. Antigua made 425--there's NO way they're doubling his salary. I would imagine a 50k bump or a little more is possible but not much more. Kimani is great, but he hasn't earned a top 5 salary in college basketball yet.

And I just saw Kofi is back so Illinois will actually be top 25 again probably. Looks like some sites have us ranked higher pre-season though. We're trending up--Illinois is trending exactly the opposite direction, though they did have a brilliant last couple years with Ayo.
Where did you see this?

Reaction Score
Where did you see this?

TBH it was a comment on reddit. Which doesn't seem to be accurate.

Looks like he has declared but not hired an agent again? Which would seem to indicate he might be back.

If he's back they're a top 25 team. I don't think so without him.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I mean even if he doesn’t get the job him looking at a lateral move signals the beginning of the end right?

Reaction Score
I mean even if he doesn’t get the job him looking at a lateral move signals the beginning of the end right?

Forehead Slap GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reaction Score
He lives in Glastonbury. I'm pretty sure a box of oreos is 50 bucks in that town.

Well, organic, grass-fed, free-range oreos from whole foods.

That sounds delicious, road trip! Does it ruin the healthy effect if I stop at Chik-Fil-A?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom