Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread] | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's just crazy.............I feel sorry for the team as they seem to have a close relationship with the coach...........certainly a life lesson they won't forget...............one would have to think Baylor takes a step back after this........

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation is totally immaterial to whether she can build a "powerhouse". If Baylor had been an SEC team all these years, it would have been exactly the same formidable program, just with a few more losses sprinkled in and a few less conference titles to its name. But still a #1 or #2 NCAA seed year in and year out, still making deep runs to the Elite 8 or farther.

You can have more than one elite team in a conference. Not sure why people get so hung up on this.
2013 the Big East had Louisville, Notre Dame, and Uconn in the final four. If you have the right coaches, you can have multiple good teams.
Vic left, and now Kim comes in. With the transfer portal you can rebuild in one Year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If I understand your concept, you are suggesting that if Baylor was in the SEC with the same personnel they had in the Big 12, they would still be successful. I agree. But that’s an alternate universe scenario that doesn’t exist.

If Kim makes the move, we will see how she does with an LSU program that hasn’t seen the kind of success as Baylor and hasn’t generally been a school that makes the final list for most top WBB recruits.

I have been trying to think of any situation where a top CBB coach left a perennial top-5 program in their prime to go to a lesser school and was able to repeat their success. Maybe somebody else can come up with someone, but I am at a loss.
None of the points you raise in this message have anything to do with South Carolina or with conference affiliation per se.

Mulkey may or may not reach the same level of success at LSU, but whether she does or not won't be because of (or in spite of) the SEC.

Reaction Score
2013 the Big East had Louisville, Notre Dame, and Uconn in the final four. If you have the right coaches, you can have multiple good teams.
Vic left, and now Kim comes in. With the transfer portal you can rebuild in one Year.
Now there may be some more players who haven't announced their name in the portal, who may now.

Reaction Score
If I understand your concept, you are suggesting that if Baylor was in the SEC with the same personnel they had in the Big 12, they would still be successful. I agree. But that’s an alternate universe scenario that doesn’t exist.

If Kim makes the move, we will see how she does with an LSU program that hasn’t seen the kind of success as Baylor and hasn’t generally been a school that makes the final list for most top WBB recruits.

I have been trying to think of any situation where a top CBB coach left a perennial top-5 program in their prime to go to a lesser school and was able to repeat their success. Maybe somebody else can come up with someone, but I am at a loss.
I understand your position. However, Baylor was only successful because of Kim Mulkey. The only reason Baylor is a perennial top-5 program is Kim Mulkey. She’s brought Baylor from a doormat to a perennial top-5 program. That’s not because she was in the Big12, its because she’s an excellent coach. Much like Mississippi State lost its shine because Schafer left. With her resources, she was dominating Louisiana recruiting at Baylor. Now she’s in her home state. Kim Mulkey does not need Baylor to succeed. Also now we get Staley vs Mulkey twice a year which makes wbb that much more interesting. And maybe this opens up the Big12 for Texas to dominate.

Reaction Score
Mulkey has reportedly agreed to become the head coach at LSU, according to ESPN!

Reaction Score
Transfer portal just blew up. Baylor would be lucky if they have at least 5 players available next season. Just don’t what decent coach can takeover that program now. Should’ve paid her what she wanted.

Reaction Score
Its Official Kim is leaving Baylor for LSU. Press Conference Monday at 5PM

Will Kim get a Pay Raise, she made $2.27 Million Dollars at Baylor? Will she now be the Highest Paid WBB Caoch?
SEC Football money keeps paying dividends for women sports and coaches. SEC has improved lots in softball and gymnastics and just won their first ever NC in Volleyball. Now they are working at getting BBall back from the golden days of Tennessee.

As for Mulkey beiing highest paid WCBB coach, she's worth it. Several years younger than Geno or Tara. Plus she got in the Women's BBall HOF before both of them. Kim-2000, Tara-2002, and Geno 2006.

Reaction Score
SEC Football money keeps paying dividends for women sports and coaches. SEC has improved lots in softball and gymnastics and just won their first ever NC in Volleyball. Now they are working at getting BBall back from the golden days of Tennessee.

As for Mulkey beiing highest paid WCBB coach, she's worth it. Several years younger than Geno or Tara. Plus she got in the Women's BBall HOF before both of them. Kim-2000, Tara-2002, and Geno 2006.
Yeah ive also noticed the SEC starting to really improve in womens basketball. SC, A&M, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia all were Top 25 teams last year. Vandy just hired Ralph, LSU just got Mulkey. Should be a very competitive conference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

The WBHOF point could not be more irrelevant. Kim was inducted in 2000 as a player, not as a coach. Last I checked, Geno never had the opportunity to shine as a women's college basketball player.

Reaction Score
Now back to the LSU situation, Kim is going and I think there will be at least 4 players, if not more that go with her.
Not sure how many slots LSU has available. i thought 2 but could be wrong

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Transfer portal just blew up. Baylor would be lucky if they have at least 5 players available next season. Just don’t what decent coach can takeover that program now. Should’ve paid her what she wanted.
Has NaLyssa Smith entered it with UConn her chosen destination????? My spouse's third cousin heard it from a friend who heard it from another friend...:rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

She got into the HOF as a player, not coach

Reaction Score
Just because Nikki was a trash recruiter doesn't mean kids won't be interested. Florida and Ole miss were making top recruits final 5 despite being a bottom dweller programs.

Its 100% about the coach and their ability to relate and attract recruits. If Pokey and Van could attract top 100 players, so will Kim.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The WBHOF point could not be more irrelevant. Kim was inducted in 2000 as a player, not as a coach. Last I checked, Geno never had the opportunity to shine as a women's college basketball player.
The golden ducky forgot to mention the newly retired pickle from Indiana in his list of runner-ups. I can't for the life of me imagine why.

Congratulations to Kim. I wish her and the flying wardrobe well in their next exciting adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom