Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She underutilized a generational talent.
Like if Alcindor won only one.
I think you get it... but I’ve been wrong before
Dee and Griner have only won 1 championship in the WNBA together. Sue has won 2 already with Stewie.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So any thoughts on whether some of the Baylor players follow Kim to LSU?
A few will. A few more will transfer to other schools. Maybe a few stay with the new coach before they move on as well.

Reaction Score
Egbo goes, cuz she is from Houston. Close enough to LSU.
Maybe Sarah Andrews
Maybe 4-5 more

Could be a free for all.
In Vanderbilt's case the better players left quickly. Didn't wait to see who would come in

Plebe

Reaction Score
She underutilized a generational talent.
Like if Alcindor won only one.
I think you get it... but I’ve been wrong before
And you still are.

The Alcindor situation is not even close to analogous. Those UCLA teams were WAY more stacked with supporting talent than what Baylor ever had behind Griner.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I remember how Mulkey's team beat LSU in a national semi-final and went on to win Baylor's first national title. LSU was the favorite that year of the teams who made it to final weekend, correct? So, basically, Mulkey robbed LSU of a national title, and now they will hire her . . . :p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While we all wait to learn whether she will go or stay, I have to say that I am dubious that Kim would be able to turn LSU into a WBB powerhouse. The SEC is a much tougher conference than the Big 12, and SC is the Big Dog there for the foreseeable future.

Kim has a pretty good deal right now at Baylor. Whatever pitch LSU is making to her, I don’t quite get the desire to leave a perennial top-5 school for a place where she is unlikely to make it back to the top again. I don’t see her taking the entire Lady Bear roster with her to Baton Rouge.

Reaction Score
While we all wait to learn whether she will go or stay, I have to say that I am dubious that Kim would be able to turn LSU into a WBB powerhouse. The SEC is a much tougher conference than the Big 12, and SC is the Big Dog there for the foreseeable future.

Kim has a pretty good deal right now at Baylor. Whatever pitch LSU is making to her, I don’t quite get the desire to leave a perennial top-5 school for a place where she is unlikely to make it back to the top again. I don’t see her taking the entire Lady Bear roster with her to Baton Rouge.
I think you’re underestimating LSU as an athletic department. Also you can have more than one good team in a conference. SC is not the only successful program in the SEC. A&M was a top 10 team. Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia all have good programs. Mississippi State was elite for a couple years under Vic. And maybe Kim wants a new challenge. Maybe she’s unhappy at Baylor. IMO LSU is a sleeping giant in the sport. They have a history of success. And the athletic department has money no doubt. I actually think Kim can be great at LSU.

W

wolfe613

I think you’re underestimating LSU as an athletic department. Also you can have more than one good team in a conference. SC is not the only successful program in the SEC. A&M was a top 10 team. Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia all have good programs. Mississippi State was elite for a couple years under Vic. And maybe Kim wants a new challenge. Maybe she’s unhappy at Baylor. IMO LSU is a sleeping giant in the sport. They have a history of success. And the athletic department has money no doubt. I actually think Kim can be great at LSU.
and Arkansas beat Uconn

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I recognize that LSU is serious about athletics, football in particular, but it’s been about 13 seasons since WBB fielded a really strong team. It’s not that easy to resurrect a program. The situation that allowed Mulkey to succeed in Waco is unlikely to repeat itself In Baton Rouge.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Now back to the LSU situation, Kim is going and I think there will be at least 4 players, if not more that go with her.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Conference affiliation is totally immaterial to whether she can build a "powerhouse". If Baylor had been an SEC team all these years, it would have been exactly the same formidable program, just with a few more losses sprinkled in and a few less conference titles to its name. But still a #1 or #2 NCAA seed year in and year out, still making deep runs to the Elite 8 or farther.

You can have more than one elite team in a conference. Not sure why people get so hung up on this.

Reaction Score
I recognize that LSU is serious about athletics, football in particular, but it’s been about 13 seasons since WBB fielded a really strong team. It’s not that easy to resurrect a program. The situation that allowed Mulkey to succeed in Waco is unlikely to repeat itself In Baton Rouge.
Totally disagree. Kim will have a powerhouse at LSU in no time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Conference affiliation is totally immaterial to whether she can build a "powerhouse". If Baylor had been an SEC team all these years, it would have been exactly the same formidable program, just with a few more losses sprinkled in and a few less conference titles to its name. But still a #1 or #2 NCAA seed year in and year out, still making deep runs to the Elite 8 or farther.

You can have more than one elite team in a conference. Not sure why people get so hung up on this.
If I understand your concept, you are suggesting that if Baylor was in the SEC with the same personnel they had in the Big 12, they would still be successful. I agree. But that’s an alternate universe scenario that doesn’t exist.

If Kim makes the move, we will see how she does with an LSU program that hasn’t seen the kind of success as Baylor and hasn’t generally been a school that makes the final list for most top WBB recruits.

I have been trying to think of any situation where a top CBB coach left a perennial top-5 program in their prime to go to a lesser school and was able to repeat their success. Maybe somebody else can come up with someone, but I am at a loss.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its Official Kim is leaving Baylor for LSU. Press Conference Monday at 5PM

Will Kim get a Pay Raise, she made $2.27 Million Dollars at Baylor? Will she now be the Highest Paid WBB Caoch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom