Kim Mulkey -- reading between the lines | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey -- reading between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Today, Fox Sports quotes Kim Mulkey as follows:

''I can't tell you how much fun it's been [this 2013-2014 season]. It has been a dream year when it comes to teaching, when you go to work all you have to worry about is X's and O's,'' coach Kim Mulkey said. ''You don't have to deal with grade issues, you don't have to deal with drama issues off the floor, you don't have a stack of stuff that you have to deal with that has nothing to do with basketball. It just makes coaching fun, and I like the way they respond, I like the way they understand what you're doing.''​

What is Mulkey referring to? This can't be a dig at Griner, can it? I surely hope not.

http://msn.foxsports.com/womens-col...lor-still-no-2-ncaa-seed-big-12-champs-031914

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't know if her response is directly related to Brittney, but it could have been the whole roster. They graduated 5 Seniors last year and there might have been Chemistry Issues with the team. If there was, how she geared the offense around Griner and as a 2nd option Odyssey might have contributed to it. Also who knows, maybe some of the Seniors didn't get along with each other or other members of the team. There's only one person to blame for last years disappointing end, Kim Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Sour grapes. Baylor should have won at least 2 championships with BG, maybe even3. If Geno had coached Baylor, definitely 3.

Reaction Score
Sour grapes. Baylor should have won at least 2 championships with BG, maybe even3. If Geno had coached Baylor, definitely 3.
At least two with Sims and Griner on the team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Today, Fox Sports quotes Kim Mulkey as follows:

''I can't tell you how much fun it's been [this 2013-2014 season]. It has been a dream year when it comes to teaching, when you go to work all you have to worry about is X's and O's,'' coach Kim Mulkey said. ''You don't have to deal with grade issues, you don't have to deal with drama issues off the floor, you don't have a stack of stuff that you have to deal with that has nothing to do with basketball. It just makes coaching fun, and I like the way they respond, I like the way they understand what you're doing.''​

What is Mulkey referring to? This can't be a dig at Griner, can it? I surely hope not.

http://msn.foxsports.com/womens-col...lor-still-no-2-ncaa-seed-big-12-champs-031914
Pope was on last year's roster...she was a player who definitely had attitude issues emerge at points during her career. I doubt it was directed at Griner but probably tied in the drama of her coming out/announcing that Mulkey told her to keep it quiet.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, probably more just the pressure of defending an NC, a case where you have nowhere to go but down or stay even. Clearly, having the consistency of just having to send BG out to dominate the action was an anxiety reliever, but still they were expected to win it all, and that induces stress. Did sound like some of the relations on the team were a bit frayed. No clue as to whether BG's lesbianism really entered into the team situation that much, but it definitely was an issue in the background at that school. Plus I think Mulkey popped some stitches in her favorite jacket in "the game."

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
IMO it was probably many of these issues combined and not one specific.

Griner issue-possibly (although I am not sure why it was other than the school code),
Pope issue--possibly (likely as we have seen her be hot headed at times, attitude?)
Sims--ETT can correct me but wasnt there some concern/question about sims continuing playing or leaving the team (something on twitter about happiness and which is more important: happiness or another championship).

So yea, I can totally see where she "may" of had to handle things off the court.

Personally I dont think Kim is a bad coach at all. A little animated, yes, but I think she is a good coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't know if her response is directly related to Brittney, but it could have been the whole roster. They graduated 5 Seniors last year and there might have been Chemistry Issues with the team. If there was, how she geared the offense around Griner and as a 2nd option Odyssey might have contributed to it. Also who knows, maybe some of the Seniors didn't get along with each other or other members of the team. There's only one person to blame for last years disappointing end, Kim Mulkey.
As I remember there were some issues with some of the other seniors - not specific to basketball during the season, but something. And was last year the year that one of the players left the team for a few days during preseason?
Coaches often talk after the fact about 'how refreshing the current team is' or refer to unspecified years where it really wasn't fun, etc. It is a tight little community - a basketball team - and they spend a lot of time together outside of practice with all the travel. Easy to see how some years would be easier than others.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
IMO- and it is obviously my gut feeling- I think it was directly at Griner, or else it wouldn't even be worth saying. Griner really took Baylor & Mulkey to task immediately after the season for alot of things that we don't need to discuss whether she was right or wrong. But after a school educates you, turns out 16,000 people a night, and treated her like a God, she really didn't hesitate chopping up Mulkey and Baylor, a christian university, immediately after their loss. I know there are a lot of sensative issues involve, but I think appreciation & loyalty is important also. Just my opinion. And I believe in my heart it was a direct message to BG, and I think Mulkey deserves the coach of the year for this years performance. I like her fire. Louisville was allowed to mug BG last year most of the time in the paint- and I'm no fan of Baylor & BG. Heck- Hammond and Slaughter and 6th yr sr guard-gibbs? could be fouled out of every game in the first half if the refs were inclined. Walz isn't stupid- a few yrs ago, I thought a brawl was going to break out in the away game in Louisville- the refs actually lost control in that game and it was really really ugly and brutal that game. the game stayed close throughout.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Whatever, same old tired trite "Baylor got mugged" crap for what was simply the fact that Baylor got outplayed by a team that despite the refs managed to take down a team that was too sold on itself and underrated an opponent. Louisville played the same tough style against other teams and got beat, but put Baylor on a pedestal and a they-shall-not-be-touched attitude is accepted and the Cards are the bad girls. They did exactly what ND should have done a year earlier if Muffet had had the spheroids (she doesn't), and they got a win out of it. Accept it and stop the whining.

As to why the BG s-(why?)-e-(why?)-xuality situation should be such a big factor when it was hardly acknowledged at the time, I haven't a clue, but maybe you can enlighten us. That hit the newswires much much later, and really should not have had any affect on Mulkey's strange actions last year, much as she would like to use it as an excuse. Let's face it, she is not a great game coach, and that got exposed last year. She is however very good at dancing out on the court and ripping off her jacket. Maybe she's just in the wrong profession.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Kim-Mulkey-Diagnosed-With-Bells-palsy.jpg

Everything's BIGGER in Storrs.

2011_ring%255B1%255D.JPG

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Whatever, same old tired trite "Baylor got mugged" crap for what was simply the fact that Baylor got outplayed by a team that despite the refs managed to take down a team that was too sold on itself and underrated an opponent. Louisville played the same tough style against other teams and got beat, but put Baylor on a pedestal and a they-shall-not-be-touched attitude is accepted and the Cards are the bad girls. They did exactly what ND should have done a year earlier if Muffet had had the spheroids (she doesn't), and they got a win out of it. Accept it and stop the whining.

As to why the BG s-(why?)-e-(why?)-xuality situation should be such a big factor when it was hardly acknowledged at the time, I haven't a clue, but maybe you can enlighten us. That hit the newswires much much later, and really should not have had any affect on Mulkey's strange actions last year, much as she would like to use it as an excuse. Let's face it, she is not a great game coach, and that got exposed last year. She is however very good at dancing out on the court and ripping off her jacket. Maybe she's just in the wrong profession.
I'll give u that Baylor didn't adjust soon enough and Mulkey is responsible for not giving the ball soon enough to Odyssey who carried them to the lead b 4 they lost. Even though that stuff came out big time right after the season, I could feel it down deep that it was a direct comment at BG . Pretty impressive losing 4 starters and being 2 seed. And the dives her team and especially her daughter was taking in our game was PATHETIC! Thanks for bringing me back from la la land DR!!!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'll give u that Baylor didn't adjust soon enough and Mulkey is responsible for not giving the ball soon enough to Odyssey who carried them to the lead b 4 they lost. Even though that stuff came out big time right after the season, I could feel it down deep that it was a direct comment at BG . Pretty impressive losing 4 starters and being 2 seed. And the dives her team and especially her daughter was taking in our game was PATHETIC! Thanks for bringing me back from la la land DR!!!!
Baylor indeed has had an impressive season and is in the works for a switched over giant upset of its own if it can win through to the E8. They may be able to beat ND at its own game of hitting the floor with pained expressions, and they have a senior who has a certain knack for getting points in any way possible. Definitely could be a very fun regional if the the #1 and #2 win through to the showdown.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Baylor indeed has had an impressive season and is in the works for a switched over giant upset of its own if it can win through to the E8. They may be able to beat ND at its own game of hitting the floor with pained expressions, and they have a senior who has a certain knack for getting points in any way possible. Definitely could be a very fun regional if the the #1 and #2 win through to the showdown.
You're right- great analysis- what poetic justice that would be! I think UC/Tenn/ND/ No Car go to FF- who r your 4 teams DR?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
My daughter has 2 of these. 1 men and 1 women. They gave them to the band members.

I'm not sure if that means your daughter shops for jewelry at the same mall kiosk as Kim or that our talented UCONN band members get Championship rings that skeletor can only dream of.

I tried to find a Google pic of all 8 NC rings together but had no luck.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if that means your daughter shops for jewelry at the same mall kiosk as Kim or that our talented UCONN band members get Championship rings that skeletor can only dream of.

I tried to find a Google pic of all 8 NC rings together but had no luck.
No shopping. The band is treated very well.

Reaction Score
IMO- and it is obviously my gut feeling- I think it was directly at Griner, or else it wouldn't even be worth saying. Griner really took Baylor & Mulkey to task immediately after the season for alot of things that we don't need to discuss whether she was right or wrong. But after a school educates you, turns out 16,000 people a night, and treated her like a God, she really didn't hesitate chopping up Mulkey and Baylor, a christian university, immediately after their loss. I know there are a lot of sensative issues involve, but I think appreciation & loyalty is important also. Just my opinion. And I believe in my heart it was a direct message to BG, and I think Mulkey deserves the coach of the year for this years performance. I like her fire. Louisville was allowed to mug BG last year most of the time in the paint- and I'm no fan of Baylor & BG. Heck- Hammond and Slaughter and 6th yr sr guard-gibbs? could be fouled out of every game in the first half if the refs were inclined. Walz isn't stupid- a few yrs ago, I thought a brawl was going to break out in the away game in Louisville- the refs actually lost control in that game and it was really really ugly and brutal that game. the game stayed close throughout.
Actually I thought Griner was the victim in the sense that she was basically told to lock herself (the person that she is) in a closet and be someone she wasn't because the university wasn't acceptant of someone who was gay. It sounds like it was far more than just "don't ask, don't tell" but to actually act as if her sexual preferences were in line with the university, 24/7. That's a lot of pressure not to be accepted by the people you are going to surround yourself with for four years and believe me, she did a lot more for Baylor University than Baylor University did for her. The additional national notoriety that it gave the institution and the money earned both attendance wise and then going as far as they did in the tournaments is no small thing. On top of that, with the Baylor's woman's basketball team on or near the top of the national polls, it probably swayed some potential recruits to really consider Baylor that otherwise not have. Griner was the difference maker in all that so I think that Baylor owes a lot more to Griner than Griner owes to them!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually I thought Griner was the victim in the sense that she was basically told to lock herself (the person that she is) in a closet and be someone she wasn't because the university wasn't acceptant of someone who was gay. It sounds like it was far more than just "don't ask, don't tell" but to actually act as if her s e xual preferences were in line with the university, 24/7. That's a lot of pressure not to be accepted by the people you are going to surround yourself with for four years and believe me, she did a lot more for Baylor University than Baylor University did for her. The additional national notoriety that it gave the institution and the money earned both attendance wise and then going as far as they did in the tournaments is no small thing. On top of that, with the Baylor's woman's basketball team on or near the top of the national polls, it probably swayed some potential recruits to really consider Baylor that otherwise not have. Griner was the difference maker in all that so I think that Baylor owes a lot more to Griner than Griner owes to them!!!

This

Reaction Score
The whole Griner thing..... yeah i can believe that kim is having a hard time letting go of it..... after all, BG wasn't exactly tip toeing softly after graduation..... on the keeping it quiet deal..... i really don't blame baylor for this.... after all the school is founded on certain principles..... and if BG didn't want to play ball there, she should have gone elsewhere.... if you want to go to ND or BYU you have to know what you are signing up for..... and the chemistry thing last year yeah who knows who the biggest culprit was..... i remember Pope being a loose cannon at times..... exemplified pretty well by her multiple-f-bomb social media sending to anyone who would listen after the LVille loss..... I saved it and look at it occasionally, when i start to forget that mulkey had some characters on that team

Reaction Score
Why do we keep spinning this tired old wheel. The 'real' story from the article is about the current team and where they are today- a 2-seat. We could easily read her as saying that this current team is fun, they are young and, you can try so many x's and o's. AND SHE STILL HAS HER JOB. WHO KNOWS WHAT A SCHOOL LIKE BAYLOR COULD HAVE DONE AFTER BG'S REVELATIONS-- SEND THE COACH PACKING! MAYBE. Let us try and open some new frames.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why do we keep spinning this tired old wheel. The 'real' story from the article is about the current team and where they are today- a 2-seat. We could easily read her as saying that this current team is fun, they are young and, you can try so many x's and o's. AND SHE STILL HAS HER JOB. WHO KNOWS WHAT A SCHOOL LIKE BAYLOR COULD HAVE DONE AFTER BG'S REVELATIONS-- SEND THE COACH PACKING! MAYBE. Let us try and open some new frames.

I agree that we should focus on the fact that she is praising THIS team and not throwing darts at past teams. If Geno makes a positive comment about his team is he criticizing previous teams (between the lines) or just giving a well-deserved compliment to his current team?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I am not sure why there is any need to read between the lines. The lines themselves say the whole story.

''You don't have to deal with grade issues, you don't have to deal with drama issues off the floor, you don't have a stack of stuff that you have to deal with that has nothing to do with basketball." Kim Mulkey

She must have had to deal with each of those. If your intent is only to praise the current year's team, why create a check list of earlier problems?

I don't think the UConn coaching staff praises the current team by offering a check list of the prior year team's foibles.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am not sure why there is any need to read between the lines. The lines themselves say the whole story.

''You don't have to deal with grade issues, you don't have to deal with drama issues off the floor, you don't have a stack of stuff that you have to deal with that has nothing to do with basketball." Kim Mulkey

She must have had to deal with each of those. If your intent is only to praise the current year's team, why create a check list of earlier problems?

I don't think the UConn coaching staff praises the current team by offering a check list of the prior year team's foibles.

I am sure that every coach has dealt with this. Mulkey has said before, and long before last year's team, that she has had players that should could not be happier to see graduate. So to "read between the lines" that she was taking a jab at last year's team is unfounded.

She is simply praising this team with the nation watching, including recruiting targers, while the entire team was in the room. Sounds like positive reinforcement for this team instead of a jab a previous teams, if you ask me.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I am sure that every coach has dealt with this. Mulkey has said before, and long before last year's team, that she has had players that should could not be happier to see graduate. So to "read between the lines" that she was taking a jab at last year's team is unfounded.

Well, it was some team(s). Are you suggesting it was all of her teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom