Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 833 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Your original point was that they had gone independent. They have not. They are in the PAC-2 for two years.
They are not independent.
They are independent in all but name.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Key words: before August 2026. They can dissolve the league in September 2026 and keep all the assets. Your interpretation is wrong. Post August 2026, they do not need to rebuild the league especially because they are getting 3.6 M per year from 2026-28 from the CFP.
Shizzle- you are wrong. Just admit it and stop digging deeper.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Your original point was that they had gone independent. They have not. They are in the PAC-2 for two years.
They are not independent.
And not only that, John Canzanno and others on the west coast have started saying there is real momentum for them to rebuild the league and keep the PAC-12 monicker

They have not ever expressed any interest in going Independent. The only person on the planet that thinks that’s the case is Shizzle. Guy is living in his own fantasy land.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
And not only that, John Canzanno and others on the west coast have started saying there is real momentum for them to rebuild the league and keep the PAC-12 monicker

They have not ever expressed any interest in going Independent. The only person on the planet that thinks that’s the case is Shizzle. Guy is living in his own fantasy land.
Canzano is a clown. He was wrong the entire time on the Pac-12 dissolving.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

They have not expressed any interest in merging with the MW. They want to cherry pick from the MW which is not happening. Therefore, their next available alternative is independence.

Reaction Score
They have not expressed any interest in merging with the MW. They want to cherry pick from the MW which is not happening. Therefore, their next available alternative is independence.
So you were being disingenuous after all.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Not at all. WOSU wanted a P4 bid. It didn’t happen. They wanted to cherry pick the MW. Not happening. Of the realistic options, they are choosing independence over merging with the MW. UConn wanted to join the ACC. Didn’t happen. They had the choice between indy/Big East and AAC. They chose the later to the detriment of the program.

If WOSU wanted to merge with MW under the Pac-12 banner, it would have already happened. Nothing is preventing them from doing so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I blame killing spring weekend
I'm pretty sure I had some of the best times I don't remember during spring weekend.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
BYU didn’t want independence as first choice either, but the Pac-12 and Big 12 weren’t picking up the phone. As a result, they chose to go independent.

Reaction Score
If UConn had joined the Big East instead of the AAC when the old Big East came apart, it would be in a power conference right now.
I’m not sure we were invited to help destroy the Old Big East with the C7 . Most of those schools never really loved us and our unfair advantage as a large public.Plus they didn't want to be involved in BCS football.
We seemed to be as blind sided by them leaving as much as anyone. We also stood with Cincinnati and USF to not dissolve The Big East .But I don’t claim to be an insider so I don’t know for sure.
The assumption at the time was UConn coming off a NC in 2011 and a BCS bowl right after was a slam dunk for inclusion in a major conference. So treading water in the Big East / /AAC was a no brainer .
I’m sure you recall C7‘s original plan was to destroy the Old Big East and split the assets Between 10-11 remaining schools. The fact three football. teams , us included remained , prevented that from happening and in fact it was a financial windfall for UConn.
The Old Big East /AAC was very heavy in cash from Basketball success big years in 2009 in 2011 plus exit fees . Estimates were anywhete from $70,000,000 to $90,000,000.
The three remaining Big East members got the vast portion of the money by keeping the conference intact.. We made an estimated $20,000,000 by staying. That distribution help sustain us through a difficult period . NC ‘s in 2013 ,2014 didn’t hurt either Nor did top G5 CFP money .
Finally if UConn helped destroyed a football conference for the sake of basketball what would have been the prognosis for our future In another football conference .
I don’t recall us going Indy in football ever came up that was only after AAC cash dried up and the new media deal was not to our liking.
The assumption of C7 success was not a sure thing even with the name and MSG. They struggled on a newbie network to attract eyeballs.
They were forced to increase their footprint to Nebraska to remain somewhat viable and without Nova‘s improbable success followed by our return it might be a mid major by now.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure we were invited to help destroy the Old Big East with the C7 . Most of those schools never really loved us and our unfair advantage as a large public.Plus they didn't want to be involved in BCS football.
We seemed to be as blind sided by them leaving as much as anyone. We also stood with Cincinnati and USF to not dissolve The Big East .But I don’t claim to be an insider so I don’t know for sure.
The assumption at the time was UConn coming off a NC in 2011 and a BCS bowl right after was a slam dunk for inclusion in a major conference. So treading water in the Big East / /AAC was a no brainer .
I’m sure you recall C7‘s original plan was to destroy the Old Big East and split the assets Between 10-11 remaining schools. The fact three football. teams , us included remained , prevented that from happening and in fact it was a financial windfall for UConn.
The Old Big East /AAC was very heavy in cash from Basketball success big years in 2009 in 2011 plus exit fees . Estimates were anywhete from $70,000,000 to $90,000,000.
The three remaining Big East members got the vast portion of the money by keeping the conference intact.. We made an estimated $20,000,000 by staying. That distribution help sustain us through a difficult period . NC ‘s in 2013 ,2014 didn’t hurt either Nor did top G5 CFP money .
Finally if UConn helped destroyed a football conference for the sake of basketball what would have been the prognosis for our future In another football conference .
I don’t recall us going Indy in football ever came up that was only after AAC cash dried up and the new media deal was not to our liking.
The assumption of C7 success was not a sure thing even with the name and MSG. They struggled on a newbie network to attract eyeballs.
They were forced to increase their footprint to Nebraska to remain somewhat viable and without Nova‘s improbable success followed by our return it might be a mid major by now.

Good summary. And it was actually 5 remaining: UConn, USF, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, while adding UCF, Houston, Memphis, Temple, SMU. That's a pretty darn good football conference for UConn to be a part of given the other "options" today. Then Louisville and Rutgers got invites out of nowhere and the American backfilled with ECU, Tulane, Tulsa. Still very good football, but travel became worse.

Reaction Score

They will not choose Independence. But it may choose them.

Reaction Score
Good summary. And it was actually 5 remaining: UConn, USF, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, while adding UCF, Houston, Memphis, Temple, SMU. That's a pretty darn good football conference for UConn to be a part of given the other "options" today. Then Louisville and Rutgers got invites out of nowhere and the American backfilled with ECU, Tulane, Tulsa. Still very good football, but travel became worse.

Rutgers and Louisville actually were voted into the B1G and ACC before the Big East split. It was soon after that the football schools split off and formed The American, but Rutgers and Louisville had to play in the American for one year as their conference affiliation switch dates happened a year later. They were technically original members of the American, but they already knew where they were going before the American came into existence.

Reaction Score
How is that disingenuous? OSU and WSU are in the relatively same position UConn was in. They can rebuild the Pac-12 with MW schools or go indy/WCC. They chose the latter. UConn chose the equivalent of the former. WOSU doesn’t want to be associated with the G5 moniker. To boot, the Big East of 2013 was better than the current WCC.
Don’t OSU and WSU get all the funds in Pac12 including the NCAA bb credits.
Splitting that 2 ways plus anything MWC gives them puts them in an okay position short term

Reaction Score
Splitting that 2 ways plus anything MWC gives them puts them in an okay position short term

They are basically in the same situation as the Big East leftovers. Actually a bit better because the money seems higher.

But they better have a plan for when it goes away.

Reaction Score

Yes, they are getting those PAC-12 funds. The MWC is not paying them anything. In fact, OSU and WSU had to pay the Mountain West to take them under the scheduling agreement. They are paying the MW $14 million a year for two years. I'm assuming it's $14 million per year total and not per school based on the wording........

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Not gonna happen, so VA Tech better be thinking/acting on plan c, or d.
Here’s the article:

I actually prefer VT to UVA. I think their football would fit very nicely in with the Big10. They have a rabid fan base and have had success.

Now they aren’t above ACC schools like FSU, ND, Clemson and UNC, but I would have no problem to VT as a partner with the schools above.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dayooper,

I personally believe that if both schools could choose what does happen, both UVA and UNC would get offers to the B1G while Va Tech and NC State would get offers from the SEC (to eliminate state government concerns).

I don't know if the profiles are sufficient for NC St or Va Tech for the SEC to look at them, but culturally, their fan bases are far more aligned to SEC schools than UNC or UVA's.

I also am not yet ready to believe that the B1G will go into states where they are not getting that state's major player.

Reaction Score
Here’s the article:

I actually prefer VT to UVA. I think their football would fit very nicely in with the Big10. They have a rabid fan base and have had success.

Now they aren’t above ACC schools like FSU, ND, Clemson and UNC, but I would have no problem to VT as a partner with the schools above.
I prefer VA Tech to UVA from the football standpoint as well, but I just don't see the B10 going that far down the totem pole before they say they're done adding mouths to feed.

Reaction Score
Dayooper,

I personally believe that if both schools could choose what does happen, both UVA and UNC would get offers to the B1G while Va Tech and NC State would get offers from the SEC (to eliminate state government concerns).

I don't know if the profiles are sufficient for NC St or Va Tech for the SEC to look at them, but culturally, their fan bases are far more aligned to SEC schools than UNC or UVA's.

I also am not yet ready to believe that the B1G will go into states where they are not getting that state's major player.
It’s definitely an interesting question, and honestly I think a good argument could be made that if given the choice in 2024 that UVA and UNC would prefer The SEC.

Despite the more liberal nature of their academic sides, their fanbases, alums, and key boosters are decidedly old south in their leaning. In a perfect scenario they would stay in a viable ACC forever, but that scenario is quickly going away.

My guess is that when it comes time to put pen to paper, they will feel more aligned with Alabama, UGA, and Florida than they do with Michigan, OSU, and Penn State.

With the academic profile of The SEC rapidly improving and success on the basketball court becoming a real thing, it’s not that hard to imagine. The SEC’s best move would be UNC, Duke, UVA, and Clemson. They could legitimately lay claim to best football and basketball conference in one swift move.

As a bonus they likely keep The B1G out of Virginia, The Carolinas and Georgia forever, because it’s highly unlikely that the money or support would be there for VPI, NCSU, or GT. The only move that they could make to try to keep pace would be FSU and ND, but that is far from certain.

Reaction Score
The fact is there just aren't that many UConn football fans out there. Not nearly enough to fill a fraction of the Rent. What the Hartford-area is full of is though, is straight out football fans that will support the team and buy tickets when the program has an avenue to the big-time. That what sold the program and built the stadium, UConn promised the big-time. And when that promise was fulfilled, the place was packed. And when that was taken away, away went most of the fanbase. It will come back if UConn gets in a real league. Until then, it's just a holding pattern.
Agree with this. Add to a UConn alumni sports fan and it will rebuild itself with FB W’s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom