Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 757 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Sure, lets create a schedule that is so difficult that a good season is 4 wins. Lets tie that anchor around the program.

We need to play more G5 teams and those G5 games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Our fanbase is obviously in need of a serious reality check. BTW if if only P4 games turn you on then go root for another team. You are a fake UConn football fan.

Here is reality, the Boneyard was dead the week leading up to the Michigan game last year and far more energized by our win versus FIU.
Here is reality: 15,000 people showed up to the Liberty game that clinched our bowl status. Connecticut residents don't care about MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt opponents. If it is a P4 opponent, a service academy, or select MW or AAC programs, you will get a crowd.

Playing even more G5 teams (that are NOT our peers) that nobody has heard of is a sure fire way to kill the growing fanbase. Simple question: how many people show up if UConn plays FIU to open the season instead of NC State? It's nowhere near 36k.

Reaction Score
70% to 80% of the cable bundle customers don't watch ESPN so why should they subsidize sports? Last weekend, I was able to watch the college football games on NBC/CBS/CBSSN/ABC/PAC12N/FOX/FS1/BTN on Spectrum and only really couldn't watch the Duke/Clemson game. I could watch the ESPN+ games. Sports channels are the most costly on the bundle and the cable companies and most customers would prefer to purchase the channels individually.

The battle Charter is having is the same battle that the all of the cable providers have had or will have in the future.
20-30% means nothing to me without context. What are other channels and groups of channels at? 20-30% could be the biggest piece of the pie or a small section depending on how well others do.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Here is reality: 15,000 people showed up to the Liberty game that clinched our bowl status.
I hate this stat. It's not reality. A shell-shocked fanbase after ten years of perennial losers not showing up due to what was supposed to be hurricane-like conditions is not necessarily an end-all, be-all "reality"

Reaction Score
Charter is getting out of video business.

I read in SBJ they actually would prefer to exit video delivery and concentrate on internet.
They'll have to because as much as I hate cable companies they are getting screwed by direct to consumer options. It's their own fault due to past action/inaction but that doesn't help the people in charge now.

Charter actually has a point for it's customers when it comes to this showdown. Why should I pay for cable that has ESPN and their networks, and not received ESPN+? Why am I paying twice for ESPN if I have + and getting my content divided between two methods of viewing? Either let me sign up online for ESPN and get all of its offerings, or let me pay for it through cable and get all of their offerings. They're double dipping big time.

Reaction Score
I hate this stat. It's not reality. A shell-shocked fanbase after ten years of perennial losers not showing up due to what was supposed to be hurricane-like conditions is not necessarily an end-all, be-all "reality"
I was at game. Thought there more than 15000

I get that announced that isn’t great.

Issue is UConn football has to have names. You can’t bring top 25 Liberty and expect fans here to be motivated. They would rather see UConn /temple.

I would say 25k for next week and 30k agaisnt duke.

That is tickets out. Distributed means sold, bartered, charged off. As long as ad department is getting money for ticket, why care if people go.

Ignore tickets scanned number. It is an incorrect number, by admission, of CRDA. A minimum of 1000 tickets a game aren’t scanned, and I suspect the more the fans come in the highest percentage of unscanned tickets happen.

That number is useful as a Minimum number, but to think it is accurate is wrong as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yawner wins count for nothing.

Nope, Tulane made it to the Cotton Bowl with a bunch of "yawner wins" and finished the season ranked. Wins are the only thing that counts.

Losses against Power teams count for nothing. (actually they are net negative)

You perfectly illustrate my point about the fanbase needing a reality check.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Nope, Tulane made it to the Cotton Bowl with a bunch of "yawner wins" and finished the season ranked. Wins are the only thing that counts.

Losses against Power teams count for nothing. (actually they are net negative)

You perfectly illustrate my point about the fanbase needing a reality check.
Would you rather have the chance to beat P5 opponents or lose to G5 opponents? You are siding with the latter.

Reaction Score
Would you rather have the chance to beat P5 opponents or lose to G5 opponents? You are siding with the latter.

That's a crap question.

I want to string together a bunch of winning seasons to change the perception of our football team. Even Coastal Carolina has a national cult following from winning so many "yawner" games. I also want UConn to compete for the G5 autobid.

A win this week (if we can get it) against GA State will be far more beneficial to the football program than last week's loss to NC State.

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That's a crap question.

I want to string together a bunch of winning seasons to change the perception of our football team. Even Coastal Carolina has a national cult following from winning so many "yawner" games. I also want UConn to compete for the G5 autobid.

A win this week (if we can get it) against GA State will be far more beneficial to the football program than last week's loss to NC State.
What cult following does Coastal Carolina have? App State you could maybe make a case for and that was because they beat Michigan and since Texas A&M.

Also, if UConn goes 12-0 as an independent with a schedule consisting of 4 P5 schools, they will be one of the seven at-large teams in the new CFP. On top of that, the CFP will likely expand further in the near future.

And my question is a great question: would you rather be considered a CUSA team or an Eastern independent deploying a BYU-esque scheduling philosophy? I’ll take the latter.

Also, the AAC, Sun Belt, and MW won’t take us so our path to the autobid is nonexistent. A MAC or CUSA won’t get in even if undefeated.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm basically done with baseball since Manfred is ruining the sport so I won't miss YES that much. YTTV is perfect for UConn sports at the moment. FS1/2 and CBSSN all in the base package
Same for Hulu.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I have had go net speed and you tube tv, for what will be a year this month. The savings and combo can't be beat. No house phone was the sacrifice.

Go NetSpeed is fantastic. Cannot recommend highly enough.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Same for Hulu.

Hulu has SNY and YouTube TV doesn’t, which is a big deal for WBB season. Otherwise I’d have gone with YouTube to get the Sunday Ticket discount.

Reaction Score
Go NetSpeed is fantastic. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Blew COX out the water at a fraction of the price. I actually had T-Mobile home internet for a while but that was too spotty.

Reaction Score
Sure, lets create a schedule that is so difficult that a good season is 4 wins. Lets tie that anchor around the program.

We need to play more G5 teams and those G5 games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Our fanbase is obviously in need of a serious reality check. BTW if only P4 games turn you on then go root for another team. You are a fake UConn football fan.

Here is reality, the Boneyard was dead the week leading up to the Michigan game last year and far more energized by our win versus FIU.
It’s a balance. As the program gets better we’ll get better opponents.
I think everyone would like to see P4 programs come to the tent. That will come in time if we continue on this path.

Nothing wrong getting mid tier P4 and top G5 programs.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Was listening to WFAN on the drive home as they were talking about Spectrum and ESPN. Apparently YouTube TV doesn’t have MSG, SNY, YES…that’s a lot of lost local coverage for someone who wants to switch.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Was listening to WFAN on the drive home as they were talking about Spectrum and ESPN. Apparently YouTube TV doesn’t have MSG, SNY, YES…that’s a lot of lost local coverage for someone who wants to switch.
If you are over 50, it doesn’t make sense to cut the cord. People in their 30s don’t really care for baseball though so being without NESN, SNY, and YES isn’t a big deal.

Reaction Score
If you are over 50, it doesn’t make sense to cut the cord. People in their 30s don’t really care for baseball though so being without NESN, SNY, and YES isn’t a big deal.

Meh. I'm over 50 and follow the Yankees, and I'm fine with having shifted over to YouTubeTV. I can listen to most of the Yankees games on the radio via the WFAN website (as I'm doing while I type this), and if they are in contention next year, I can subscribe to YES digitally for about $25 a month whenever I feel like it. I split my YTTV subscription with a couple family members, so it comes out to only $25 a month (setting aside NFL Sunday Ticket, which was $250 for this season). I have some issues with YTTV (like not carrying NBC Sports Boston in Bristol, which prevents me from watching Connecticut Sun games - guess I have to move a few miles to Farmington if I want that), but overall it's been good. I don't watch much linear TV anymore, save for sports. And I'm really liking being able to fast-forward through commercials and easily DVR a few programs I used to watch on Hulu or various network apps, which don't let you skip ads.

Reaction Score

Our fanbase is obviously in need of a serious reality check. BTW if only P4 games turn you on then go root for another team. You are a fake UConn football fan.

So, should we move basketball to the Patriot League, too?

Reaction Score
Long term, local sports may have to go to a mix of OTA and streaming. It's already happening in Las Vegas, Utah and Phoenix.

Reaction Score
i just don’t like the interface of YoutubeTV. Comcast and DirectTV are far superior.
I love the interface personally. Went from Spectrum to YouTube, then to Hulu when they dropped SNY and hated Hulu so much I sacrificed not having SNY (I was able to do a workaround to use their app separately) back to YouTube TV. Not saying one of us is right or wrong but just sharing my preference for it personally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom