Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 759 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Our peers are in the P5, not G5. We may be a G5 school but that doesn't mean we should crawl up in a corner and play only G5 schools. BYU didn't do that, and neither should we. We have a brand people have heard of and P5 schools like UNC and Ole Miss are coming to our place. I'm not giving that up to play EMU or Jacksonville State every year. Yuck. It's a good thing AD Dave agrees with my line of thinking and not yours. Contrary to what you may think, if we join the MAC or CUSA (Sun Belt would not invite us), we would be downgrading our status in the college football landscape. There are degrees to the G5. Hint: we are near the top. Your proposal would lead us to sink to the bottom of the pool.

That me refresh you on this:

Tier 1: Big 10, SEC (multiple CFP bids yearly)
Tier 2: ACC, Big 12 (multiple CFP bids frequently)
Tier 3: AAC, MW (+ OSU, WSU), Army, UConn (CFP bid for conference champ frequently)
Tier 4: Sun Belt (CFP bid for conference champ rarely)
Tier 5: CUSA, MAC (no effective CFP access)
UConn has a basketball brand, no doubt. Beyond that? Tier 6.

Reaction Score
UConn receives nominal $$ (in the scope of things) as an Independent from CFP system (?$300k +/-)
Really. That is t too bad then. They don’t have access to game though. They could go 12-0 and be locked out next year.

Reaction Score
In the Boston area, NESN is an important channel for both hockey and baseball fans as they carry the Red Sox, Bruins, Hockey East, the Beanpot.
YES is DTC. So, that works great.

I help older people at my wife’s school cut the cord. 80 year old man, cable for 45 years, got him YouTube tv, magic Jack home phone, and xfinity flex box Saving him $120 a month.

His favorite channel is paramount +. It is like he discovered great tv.

Reaction Score
If UConn is top rated non p5, they don’t get into the playoff either
Although they are revising the rules, UConn would be in the playoffs if they are one of the 6 highest ranked teams not a conference champion. That is the same rule for Notre Dame.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn isn’t G5. They don’t get CFP money. If UConn is top rated non p5, they don’t get into the playoff either

I'm not saying they are - quite the opposite.

If UConn ever goes 12-0 or 11-1 and is ranked in the top 12 and doesn't get an at large then we'll have grounds to complain...I think NOT playing an AAC schedule is well worth that risk.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying they are - quite the opposite.

If UConn ever goes 12-0 or 11-1 and is ranked in the top 12 and doesn't get an at large then we'll have grounds to complain...I think NOT playing an AAC schedule is well worth that risk.

You can't be serious, the AAC would be a huge improvement to our schedule. You do realize we would still have 4 out of conference games so the "Power" junkies could get their rocks off.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You can't be serious, the AAC would be a huge improvement to our schedule. You do realize we would still have 4 out of conference games so the "Power" junkies could get their rocks off.
Serious question:

Are you a football season ticket holder?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really. That is t too bad then. They don’t have access to game though. They could go 12-0 and be locked out next year.
Then again they could go 12–0 in the American and also be locked out next year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

Aside from the fact that Connecticut football fans already rejected the AAC once, and that of the rejected conference nearly all of the recognizable programs left you're absolutely right.

Do you even know who is in the AAC these days? The only school even worth playing is Temple and we already have them on future schedules if memory serves.

You think the average Connecticut football fans discerns any difference between playing Old Dominion and Charlotte? Please.

Reaction Score
Serious question:

Are you a football season ticket holder?

Since the Rent opened in 2003 I have only missed two seasons and I used to go to the Rutgers away games when that was a thing.

Serious question, what's wrong with playing Temple, Navy, Tulane, South Florida, East Carolina, Memphis, Rice, UT San Antonio, and in the future Army as conference games?

I still fondly remember the South Florida rain storm game as my favorite all time game at the Rent.

UConn would probably take a football only life raft invite to the AAC in a nano second. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Since the Rent opened in 2003 I have only missed two seasons and I used to go to the Rutgers away games when that was a thing.

Serious question, what's wrong with playing Temple, Navy, Tulane, South Florida, East Carolina, Memphis, Rice, UT San Antonio, and in the future Army as conference games?

I still fondly remember the South Florida rain storm game as my favorite all time game at the Rent.

UConn would probably take a football only life raft invite to the AAC in a nano second. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Jeez I don't know besides the decade of futility, fan apathy, and zero geographic cohesion it's a match made in heaven.

Reaction Score
In 2024 we play as our big games .
Maryland B1G
Duke ACC
Wake Forrest ACC
Syracuse ACC
Nice but hardly an opponent that gets xour heart rate up but all are potentially winnable as they are not typically strong teams .
Plus the other side
Army AAC ?
Fla Atlantic AAC
Buffalo MAC
Temple AAC
Ga Stete. Sun Belt
UMass Indy
UAB AAC
Playing ab 8 game conference schedule against Navy ,Army?
USF , Tulane , ECU , Charlotte with 4 OC .is any different if you’re beating those team
The AAC we left was the best G5 football conference by any metics however its lost almost 1/2 it’s teams .so it’s a lot weaken now
However A football only media deal is still worth $4,000,0000 plus FBP distribution. You still have buy games add to that the Big East money and the athletic Dept revenue from both sports is significant.
If your Indy and can get m get 4-5 games a year against power conference teams and win a fair share that’s great but is that possible. it not then football needs to find a home in a conference
How anyone can claim people didn’t come because we played in the AAC. is a complete rationalization , The truth is they didn’t want to see us humiliated by those teams as we were 11-45 in 6 seasons With double digit margins of defeat each year except 2015 . Fans turn out.to see the home team perform the opponents have only marginally appeal . Alabama , Ohio Dtate aren’t coming here so getting asses in seats is on us
I suggest if we’re were 45 - 11 in those five years attendance would’ve close to doubled . The real number bear me out .
In our one good year in the dreaded AAC , 2015 with a 4-4 record we averaged close to 28,000 a game . .. And it one could only imagine a 6-2 or 7-1 year .,
Get over the excuses Attendance is. >90% how good the home team is < 10% the Opponent. Unless is a Big name The largest crowd we ever played in front of was over 100,000 people . If you pick a number between 1-1000 prople that’s the number that came because we were the opposition.

Reaction Score
In 2024 we play as our big games .
Maryland B1G
Duke ACC
Wake Forrest ACC
Syracuse ACC

and sadly what are our chances of winning any of these games? If we go 1-3 our coach did an amazing job. There is about a 95% chance we won't win any.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Great analysis professor! You are quite the scholar.

In contrast to what you've provided, being I don't mind playing University of Texas at San Antonio in a minor league conference, so of course we should join.

Reaction Score
Joining a conference of any sort allows the players to play for a championship. Before you go and crap on that, think about what that means to a player versus what they have now. Not saying they should join a non-P league anytime soon, but it is a reason to do so.

Reaction Score
Joining a conference of any sort allows the players to play for a championship. Before you go and crap on that, think about what that means to a player versus what they have now. Not saying they should join a non-P league anytime soon, but it is a reason to do so.
Winning a bowl should be in the same ball park as far as thrills go.

Reaction Score
You have to stop being so doom and gloom over this. None of those teams are world beaters. Keep banging the portal and chart our own path.

I stand by my statement, If we go 1-3 in those games it would be a great accomplishment. When 1-3 meets the definition of greatness there is something wrong with the scheduling.

I'm not being doom and gloom, I am being realistic. The guy saying we wouldn't be able to compete in the AAC is being doom and gloom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great analysis professor! You are quite the scholar.
Angry Lets Go GIF by Holly Logan

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I stand by my statement, If we go 1-3 in those games it would be a great accomplishment. When 1-3 meets the definition of greatness there is something wrong with the scheduling.

I'm not being doom and gloom, I am being realistic. The guy saying we wouldn't be able to compete in the AAC is being doom and gloom.
It’s very plausible we could go 2-2 against that slate.

Reaction Score
Why not give Alabama and tOSU 3 home games to 1 for us? Think about getting those two teams to help sell season tickets, not to mention how much it would help recruiting. How bout them road trips!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why not give Alabama and tOSU 3 home games to 1 for us? Think about getting those two teams to help sell season tickets, not to mention how much it would help recruiting. How bout them road trips!!!
Because you don't need to go for the two top programs in all of CFB. Good ones are good enough. UConn fans would be plenty excited to play Pitt.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Why would getting beat 49-0 by tOSU or Alabama help recruiting?

Reaction Score
I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

Aside from the fact that Connecticut football fans already rejected the AAC once, and that of the rejected conference nearly all of the recognizable programs left you're absolutely right.

Do you even know who is in the AAC these days? The only school even worth playing is Temple and we already have them on future schedules if memory serves.

You think the average Connecticut football fans discerns any difference between playing Old Dominion and Charlotte? Please.
That ‘s actually incorrect . We didn’t reject AAC football The AAC rejected our bid to continue as a football only But they were kind of butt hurt at us talking BB away plus our last two years in the conference we were 0-16 and if not the worst than close to the worst FSB program in the country , The general consensus was the Randy hire and the withdrawal as a full member was an indication that we would soon be a real New Big East team as those schools dislike of association with FSB football schools was a well known fact .

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom