Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 752 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I think an argument could be made that we didn’t suddenly stop caring about football for ten years. That despite some success during Edsall’s first run , the UConn administration NEVER cared enough about football and now we are paying a heavy price. We heard the complaints during Edsall 1.0. We witnessed the incompetence of at least one AD. We were stupefied by 3 straight horrible head coach hires! All of this is very depressing for our fan base who care about all of UConn ‘s sports programs.
UConn going from nowhere in 1AA to a Bowl eligible conference was treated by Storrs. as found money .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're able to pay a $5M/year basketball coach, we could pay a $5M/year football coach too if there was a will to do it (and a will by backers to fund it).
I guess, of course by the same logic Tom could fund the building of an on-campus stadium and name it the-boneyard.com stadium, if he could find backers to fund it.

CL82

Reaction Score
We pay our WOMENS basketball coach comparable to what we pay Mora. You can say what you want about our success with Geno but I promise that’s the type of thing that shows the admins at TCU, Clemson, FSU, etc. that we truly do not care about what matters most to them. Another reason we’re never getting in and need to look at other options til 2036.
Personally, I find your thoughts on this very insightful. You should email our athletic Director to let him have the benefits of your wisdom.

pj

Reaction Score
I guess, of course by the same logic Tom could fund the building of an on-campus stadium and name it the-boneyard.com stadium, if he could find backers to fund it.

It would be shame if it became SyracuseFans.com stadium.

CL82

Reaction Score
It would be shame if it became SyracuseFans.com stadium.
Hey if Tom foots the bill it's his call and I will gladly take my weekend pictures of me next to the name flipping it off.

Reaction Score
We're able to pay a $5M/year basketball coach, we could pay a $5M/year football coach too if there was a will to do it (and a will by backers to fund it).
The problem is the true $5m FB coaches won't come to us for the job, so you would pay a coach that's worth $2-3m the full $5m???

Reaction Score
We do need to keep Mora long-term here. The UCONN administration needs to do whatever is within its power to keep someone like him here.
Agreed - he is and I think will be worth his weight in gold here. If he stays long enough to get us back into the top 30-40 range you have to double/triple his pay and we'd be able to if we keep filling up the stadium. If we increase 15k fannies more per game at 6 games per year with an average ticket price of $15 that is $1.3m in incremental revenue just on ticket prices alone (to say nothing about improved merch sales, donation increases, etc).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For example, if your clients sold their company, then tried to unsell it, knowing full well that they were deliberately breaching the sale agreement, the buyers could A) go to both local and federal law enforcement to make them aware that by your clients’ own assertion, they are claiming to have fraudulently sold their company (how else would they argue it was still theirs?), and were attempting to steal back the company they had sold. Then B) the buyers could go after the sellers’ lawyers who were clearly part of a conspiracy to defraud the buyers. The buyers would want sellers counsel sanctioned and have attorney client privilege waived given the conspiracy.

And if the sellers were part of a bigger organization, you can bet their bosses would want nothing to do with such an idiotic scheme, and there is a good chance that the bosses would cooperate with any criminal investigation into the idiots and their lawyers in return for immunity.

It wouldn’t be the first time a bunch of unethical idiots and their crackpot attorneys got themselves in serious trouble trying to play with the big boys.

Could you please provide a detailed description (including steps involved) in unselling something.

Reaction Score
ESPN pulled all of the strings to make this happen IMO.

The move was orchestrated by ESPN to finish off the PAC and devalue them to G5 status, it also puts a band aid on ESPN's ACC problem by funneling more money to the top ACC teams. No doubt in my mind that the B12 would have offered Cal/ Stanford if ESPN financed it for them but clearly ESPN did not because they wanted the money to go to the ACC.
The vaunted San Francisco college football market? The deal makes no sense for tv. This is ACC presidents thinking Stanford and Cal are more important then they are.

All those presidents want to work at Stanford and Cal.

Reaction Score
We pay our WOMENS basketball coach comparable to what we pay Mora. You can say what you want about our success with Geno but I promise that’s the type of thing that shows the admins at TCU, Clemson, FSU, etc. that we truly do not care about what matters most to them. Another reason we’re never getting in and need to look at other options til 2036.

We pay elite money to our coaches in basketball because we have elite coaches. That level coach is not coming here for football regardless of salary. This comparison doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
They are taking plenty of payments, at least if not more than they would have in the AAC and more than we are getting. Aside from all the monetary benefits of them being in the ACC instead of AAC, having better opponents, better P5 association, and better educational institutions. Not sure how that equates to buying a seat.
Cal and Stanford came in at 30%. SMU came in for free. There is most certainly a price they are paying that the soft costs you imply wont cover. These three schools have deep pockets to pay so it works for them.

Not many other schools could make this deal.

Reaction Score
Cal and Stanford came in at 30%. SMU came in for free. There is most certainly a price they are paying that the soft costs you imply wont cover. These three schools have deep pockets to pay so it works for them.

Not many other schools could make this deal.
SMU did not come in for free. Between other conference payouts, they will be making at least, if not more than the AAC total payout. Add in increased attendance and exposure from playing more high profile teams and they will be making even more than that. Moving to the ACC is a net financial gain for SMU.

Reaction Score
SMU did not come in for free. Between other conference payouts, they will be making at least, if not more than the AAC total payout. Add in increased attendance and exposure from playing more high profile teams and they will be making even more than that. Moving to the ACC is a net financial gain for SMU.
Debateable. With the increased travel expenses being in the ACC and the dilution the three new members bring to the league, I would guess for SMU it is a wash at best. Maybe they get higher ticket sales, but SMU had only 21k for their football game yesterday after getting an ACC invite. For example, the three new members won't add to NCAA basketball tournament credits, it's unclear if adding 3 members enhances the ACC CFP payout, and with the Charter standoff with ESPN, it's questionable if SMU, Cal, and Stanford will get full price for the ACCN in their markets.

Reaction Score
The vaunted San Francisco college football market? The deal makes no sense for tv. This is ACC presidents thinking Stanford and Cal are more important then they are.

All those presidents want to work at Stanford and Cal.
Turns out some the ACC Presidents are alumni of Stanford and Cal, thus the push for them!

Reaction Score
Believe or not, Binghamton is 10x the school Stony Brook is. I would send my kids to Geneseo or Purchase even, Albany too before Stony Brook. SB is excellent for business and finance. But liberal arts, humanities and sciences leave a lot to be desired compared to several other SUNYs.

Some of those Cals are excellent schools, esp. San Diego, Irvine and Davis. They have excellent reputations. Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are pretty good too.

Agree, Stony Brook suffers from the UMass syndrom. A decent school in a region where everyone crosses the nearest available bridge to go to one of the surrounding private schools. Buffalo is strong in hard sciences and bio (and the only school I did not get into, though I got into UConn, UMaine, UDelaware, and Syracuse). Albany is know for business and I know several alumni who have done well in banking world in NYC after. Binghamton is still in liberal arts and sciences. On the smaller side, I don't know much about Purchase, but Geneseo has a rep as the more affordable version of the 'little Ivy's' while Cortland is the DIII jock school (going to the Ithaca v Cortland annual football game is a fun, sloppy mess). Out in California, in addtion to the big brands in Cal and and UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine and UC Davis are all top 50 US News schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Could you please provide a detailed description (including steps involved) in unselling something.

Reversing a GOR is effectively unselling something that has already been sold. Since it can't be done, I don't have to provide anything.

Reaction Score
Debateable. With the increased travel expenses being in the ACC and the dilution the three new members bring to the league, I would guess for SMU it is a wash at best. Maybe they get higher ticket sales, but SMU had only 21k for their football game yesterday after getting an ACC invite. For example, the three new members won't add to NCAA basketball tournament credits, it's unclear if adding 3 members enhances the ACC CFP payout, and with the Charter standoff with ESPN, it's questionable if SMU, Cal, and Stanford will get full price for the ACCN in their markets.
My point is that everyone is saying they came for free, which they didn't. They aren't taking some huge pay cut that needs to be funded by boosters. Also, they played Louisiana Tech in the opener and their home slate this year Prairie View, Tulsa, Charlotte, North Texas, and Navy. Having Clemson, Miami, FSU, North Carolina, etc to replace most of those is going to sell tickets in a city that loves football, regardless of if they are SMU fans or not. And I suspect that basketball tickets sales go through the roof through as it is a bunch of well known brands, rather than someone like Florida Atlantic.

Reaction Score
My point is that everyone is saying they came for free, which they didn't. They aren't taking some huge pay cut that needs to be funded by boosters. Also, they played Louisiana Tech in the opener and their home slate this year Prairie View, Tulsa, Charlotte, North Texas, and Navy. Having Clemson, Miami, FSU, North Carolina, etc to replace most of those is going to sell tickets in a city that loves football, regardless of if they are SMU fans or not. And I suspect that basketball tickets sales go through the roof through as it is a bunch of well known brands, rather than someone like Florida Atlantic.
Florida Atlantic was better than everyone in the ACC last year.

Reaction Score
Florida Atlantic was better than everyone in the ACC last year.
This may be the most delusional statement ever posted on the Boneyard and that says a lot. The 5 win Florida Atlantic team who played a bunch of crappy teams and lost was better than everyone in the ACC?

Aside from the absurdity of your statement, it's not about who is better, it is about who puts people in the seats. Pretty sure a bad FSU team, who were 10-3 and ranked 11th in the country last year, in is going to sell more tix in Dallas than Florida Atlantic, even if they were good like you insanely claim.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This may be the most delusional statement ever posted on the Boneyard and that says a lot. The 5 win Florida Atlantic team who played a bunch of crappy teams and lost was better than everyone in the ACC?

Aside from the absurdity of your statement, it's not about who is better, it is about who puts people in the seats. Pretty sure a bad FSU team, who were 10-3 and ranked 11th in the country last year, in is going to sell more tix in Dallas than Florida Atlantic, even if they were good like you insanely claim.

Think they meant basketball…

Reaction Score
Think they meant basketball…
Could be and good point. Miami was probably better and ranked higher, but it wasn't even about who was good or not, it was who will sell more tix. In basketball especially, a crappy Duke/UNC/Miami etc is going to sell a lot more tickets than FAU any year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom