Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 754 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Acquisition by a smaller company of a larger company. Usually in a merger of the larger company is the survivor. In a reverse merger the smaller company ends up being the survivor. You see it thrown around when a private acquires a public company and then ends up being a public company. Kind of weird to use it in this concept, but not entirely inappropriate.
Merger, acquisition, hostile takeover, what have you. this "reverse merger" stuff is nonsense. I'll bet the MWC simply adds the 2 northwest "states" and perhaps another couple two or tree, bada-bing, bada-boom, Betty Boop.

Reaction Score
In 2013, US Airways effectively purchased American Airlines. primaruly because US emerged from bankriptyc a few years before that and Ameican was about to go in that direction. The 'American' brand was kept as it had more 'value' in the market.
That’s a double example
Because US Airways went bankrupt and was purchased by American West a great regional airline based in Phoenix., I’m very familiar with them because they offered a direct from BDL to PHX . I miss that Airline
They took the more nationally known name with a multitude of national routes .
Then Unfortunately it became a crap airlines but apparently made enough money to buy a floundering but once prestigious American Airlines to form an even bigger crappier airline
Saying that the name of a conference is pretty important. The PAC is one of the oldest and once prestigious football conferences in the country I don’t ever write out Mountain West (MW ) A conference with little national recognition. So I suspect the PAC name has a much greater value in media negotiations than MW .
I’m not saying P5 money but their contract is around $4-5 million range I suspect using the PAC name they can exceed the AAC contract. With OSU , added to Boise , SDSU , Fresno , San Jose , Air Force ,Colorado State . That’s a very respectable conference . One Aresco’s would call P5-6 . Rebranded as the PAC its instant credibility.
Adding those two to the MW is stupid rebranding as the PAC makes sense. If it’s legal IDK . but from a Marketing standpoint it’s the better move

Reaction Score
Merger, acquisition, hostile takeover, what have you. this "reverse merger" stuff is nonsense. I'll bet the MWC simply adds the 2 northwest "states" and perhaps another couple two or tree, bada-bing, bada-boom, Betty Boop.
Regardless of which conference name Wazzu and OSU ends up with, I suspect their attorneys ensure their ex-PAC 12's total March Madness dinero for multiple seasons is not pissed away. With or without PAC-ish, MWC, or a newly christened conference name.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that the ACC views UConn as the OK looking girl that they know would gladly accept a date to the prom and will always be there waiting for the invitation. So the ACC takes their shot at what they view as more attractive partners that may help them be thought of as being part of the "popular" group. When the ACC loses the battle to be part of the popular group (i.e. when FL St, Clemson, UNC, and potentially others leave) then UConn will get the invite. Whether that is 5 or 15 years is TBD.

The question is, when the SEC, B1G, and B-12 do their poaching what will be left of the ACC. I won't be as bad as the PAC-12 decimation, but could be pretty close.

Pitt, L'ville, VaTech and NC State to the B-12
FL St and Clemson to the SEC
Virginia, UNC, Notre Dame, and maybe Duke to the B1G

That leaves a league of Syracuse, Miami Wake, Ga Tech, BC, SMU, Cal, Stanford. I would hope UConn could just join as a football only as the league has nothing of interest for basketball.

Reaction Score
It’s a horrible expansion by the ACC. I been to smu, love the place, oretty, but it is very small and it has absolutely no juice in the Dallas area. Very very small school.
The whores in Bristol plus SMU agreeing to be an CCC butt boy made it happen...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that the ACC views UConn as the OK looking girl that they know would gladly accept a date to the prom and will always be there waiting for the invitation. So the ACC takes their shot at what they view as more attractive partners that may help them be thought of as being part of the "popular" group.
I used to believe that. Now, I believe that they just actively don't like us.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The ACC is schizophrenic…some of the ADs see UConn’s value but in basketball terms while other ADs seem adverse to all things UConn. Those are people that can be potentially be swayed. The presidents however are just out of their flipping minds.

Reaction Score
I have said this for years.

If we are going with the lawsuit has no bearing on this whatsoever, then I'm going with "BB schools hate our success, FB schools hate our futility." I got nothing else. Snub after snub, Malloy stating publicly he was told we were "next". One nutslap after the other.

Reaction Score
The ACC is schizophrenic…some of the ADs see UConn’s value but in basketball terms while other ADs seem adverse to all things UConn. Those are people that can be potentially be swayed. The presidents however are just out of their flipping minds.
Jim Ryan, who is president of UVA, is an esteemed university administrator. Our former president, John Casteen, later was president of UVA. Let's get some contact going on!

Reaction Score
Jim Ryan, who is president of UVA, is an esteemed university administrator. Our former president, John Casteen, later was president of UVA. Let's get some contact going on!
In addition, former University of Virginia Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas C. Katsouleas was our recent president at UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
In addition, former University of Virginia Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas C. Katsouleas was our recent president at UConn.
Mmmm Katsouleas might not be their best choice.
britney spears what GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
Katsouleas thinks UConn sucks. The board gave him fits.
I don't know that the board so much give him fits but they definitely gave him his walking papers. He was kind of stunning that he thought he could unilaterally redefine the states flagship university as a free higher education alternative. Once he did that, his days were numbered.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Whether he should or should not have been informed in advance is open for debate (being informed is far different from being consulted). One fact is that RE didn't have sufficient imagination to see any positives for football by going independent and he was unable to project much of a positive outlook when trying to promote the program.
If that was true, how did he recruit? Half the team on that field last week was recruited by RE. Seems like he could recruit out of high school, but the rest of the game had passed him by.

Reaction Score
I don't know that the board so much give him fits but they definitely gave him his walking papers. He was kind of stunning that he thought he could unilaterally redefine the states flagship university as a free higher education alternative. Once he did that, his days were numbered.
In fairness to Katsouleas, he wanted to offer about 1500 underprivileged CT students per year a free ride (they were going to be very bright students as well) and he vowed to double research over the next 10 years. His goals were agrressive and they would have put a lot of pressure on Katsouleas himself to deliver grants and private support. I often think they might have chased away just what they needed in him.

Reaction Score
if he gets us into the acc, i would name a building after him
You do realize that just as UConn reaches the promised land of a P5 conference, that league will collapse about 3 months later, right?

CL82

Reaction Score
In fairness to Katsouleas, he wanted to offer about 1500 underprivileged CT students per year a free ride (they were going to be very bright students as well) and he vowed to double research over the next 10 years. His goals were agrressive and they would have put a lot of pressure on Katsouleas himself to deliver grants and private support. I often think they might have chased away just what they needed in him.
Keep in mind that Connecticut already offers merit scholarships. If I recall his proposal correctly the sole requirement was that the students come from eighth family whose income was less than $50,000. that may be a noble goal, but it wasn't within his purview to unilaterally make in announce that decision without consulting the board.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Connecticut already offers merit scholarships. If I recall his proposal correctly the sole requirement was that the students come from eighth family whose income was less than $50,000. that may be a noble goal, but it wasn't within his purview to unilaterally make in announce that decision without consulting the board.
As far as I can recall UConn's numbers that's a lot of students... what, maybe 20% of an incoming class. That's a lot of free money

Reaction Score
moreso that she's relaying the toxic atmosphere in the conference over the past year.
Stabbing in the back implies something unforeseen. The second UCLA/USC left, it was obvious that Wash & Ore were hoping/planning on a BiG invite.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
moreso that she's relaying the toxic atmosphere in the conference over the past year.

Washington was not the victim here, anymore than BCU was the victim in 2003.

UConn fans are so used to being abused in realignment that now many UConn fans identify more with the abuser than we do with the abused. Washington was the abuser in this situation, and destroyed Washington State's and Oregon State's athletic programs, and forced the conference apart into far flung conferences that are going to damage fan interest long term. She has no one to blame but herself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom