Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 738 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Um this may come as a shocker, but those dudes that work at ESPN, they pay taxes too.

Um, this may be even more shocking, but so does everyone else. And the taxes we pay make up for the subsidy their company gets. Our companies for the most part do not get these tax breaks, so their employees are not paying for us

Reaction Score
They would be playing them once a year in football, not marrying them.
I don’t know what to say, but the cultural bifurcation is real, and the gulf between Provo and San Francisco is as wide as ever. Any arrangement seeing Calford in the BXII (and I’m skeptical) will be as short lived as possible. I don’t think a Calford-ACC marriage is long for this world either to be fair, but almost completely due to logistics. If the ACC schools were located where the Big XII schools are, there likely would be nothing to discuss.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t know what to say, but the cultural bifurcation is real, and the gulf between Provo and San Francisco is as wide as ever. Any arrangement seeing Calford in the BXII (and I’m skeptical) will be as short lived as possible. I don’t think a Calford-ACC marriage is long for this world either to be fair, but almost completely due to logistics.

The cultural bifurcation between the various university leaderships is tiny compared to that of the universities and big chunks of their non-college educated fans.

White collar, college educated people are going to think fairly similarly whether they went to SMU or Baylor or SDSU or UConn.

Reaction Score
The cultural bifurcation between the various university leaderships is tiny compared to that of the universities and big chunks of their non-college educated fans.

White collar, college educated people are going to think fairly similarly whether they went to SMU or Baylor or SDSU or UConn.
You think Berkeley alumni and BYU alumni think similarly?

Reaction Score
You think Berkeley alumni and BYU alumni think similarly?
Nobody cares, they aren't going to be hanging out with each other talking about politics and making policy decisions for each other. They would just be playing each other in a couple of games.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares, they aren't going to be hanging out with each other talking about politics and making policy decisions for each other. They would just be playing each other in a couple of games.
I think that’s true for 99.9% of college athletics. I don’t think that’s true for Calford in relation to BYU for any indefinite amount of time.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Um, this may be even more shocking, but so does everyone else. And the taxes we pay make up for the subsidy their company gets. Our companies for the most part do not get these tax breaks, so their employees are not paying for us
ESPN has jobs, which is not an unlimited magical resource. ESPN employs 4,000 people in Connecticut, and the state basically pays them to do it by tax breaks. ESPN employees pay income, sales, property tax.

Better still, they patronize the tailors, bakers, lawyers, realtors, etc., and accordingly benefit all of those workers and companies by their continued employment. Those folks might not get tax breaks, but are benefits of a rising economic tide

The state should absolutely leverage ESPN to help bring about realignment. But please, let’s introduce some critical thinking here

Reaction Score
Wow. This is an exceptionally harsh take. Did you work at GE?
No. I am a big six sigma guy though, and Welch really pushed ruthless efficiency and candor.

Welch took advantage of wall streets quarterly earnings phenomenon that started in the 1980s and really gave us our system of quarter to quarter, what we have today.

But, make no mistake, Six Sigma really struggles in RnD and creative pursuits. Welch sacrificed creativity and ingenuity for efficiency and cost cutting.

Yes, he helped drive waste out of manufacturing, but none of GEs products in the internet era were revolutionary. They didn’t make anything new, and essentially became a company that makes money on operational exellece.

Problem was, once the gains from Six Sigma were realized, and the org ran at a higher of lean management, future projects provide diminishing Returns.

They failed to innovate, which I attribute to Welch’s quarter to quarter managing style.

Frankly, Welch abused what six sigma and lean are and used it as a cost cutting measure. That is absolutely poor management
Strategy.

Reaction Score
ESPN has jobs, which is not an unlimited magical resource. ESPN employs 4,000 people in Connecticut, and the state basically pays them to do it by tax breaks. ESPN employees pay income, sales, property tax.

Better still, they patronize the tailors, bakers, lawyers, realtors, etc., and accordingly benefit all of those workers and companies by their continued employment. Those folks might not get tax breaks, but are benefits of a rising economic tide

The state should absolutely leverage ESPN to help bring about realignment. But please, let’s introduce some critical thinking here

Again, so do we patronize.. And the companies we work for do it without tax breaks. And according to you, it is ok for us to chip in for their tax breaks. I don't know what to tell you, you may enjoy your pocket being picked, but I don't. Or maybe you don't live in CT and have any dog in the fight.

Let's use that critical thinking you mention. Are you saying that place is going to disappear because we took away their tax breaks? 4,000 jobs go woosh? . Billions went into that campus to construct the digital buildings they need. Now that they are trying to to operate on a shoestring budget, they are going to move and pay that all over again for spite?

There has been a worker shortage for quite some time now. Even if they did carry out a threat and moved, many of those people could be absorbed in the state economy anyway

Ultimately, it's time to use the leverage. Add up the amount of money they are costing us in dollars when they easily could have placed us in a power conference by now. This isn't Ball St we are talking about. We are more worthy than half these p4 programs out there. Add who you want Big 12, just make sure UConn is one. ACC, same thing. Just be a team player, a partner while you are reeping our generosity. This is not a big ask. The fact that it has to be leveraged speaks to the evil of that conglomerate

Reaction Score
Again, so do we patronize.. And the companies we work for do it without tax breaks. And according to you, it is ok for us to chip in for their tax breaks. I don't know what to tell you, you may enjoy your pocket being picked, but I don't. Or maybe you don't live in CT and have any dog in the fight.

Let's use that critical thinking you mention. Are you saying that place is going to disappear because we took away their tax breaks? 4,000 jobs go woosh? . Billions went into that campus to construct the digital buildings they need. Now that they are trying to to operate on a shoestring budget, they are going to move and pay that all over again for spite?

There has been a worker shortage for quite some time now. Even if they did carry out a threat and moved, many of those people could be absorbed in the state economy anyway

Ultimately, it's time to use the leverage. Add up the amount of money they are costing us in dollars when they easily could have placed us in a power conference by now. This isn't Ball St we are talking about. We are more worthy than half these p4 programs out there. Add who you want Big 12, just make sure UConn is one. ACC, same thing. Just be a team player, a partner while you are reeping our generosity. This is not a big ask. The fact that it has to be leveraged speaks to the evil of that conglomerate
Much of this is true. But the bottom line is, the total economic impact created by espn far far far outweights the credits it receives. It's a no-brainer doing whatever it takes to keep espn here. Noones pockets are being picked. Plus, espn has done what is required to receive those credits - capital investment, hiring, maintaining - just as may other companies have done. We should try to leverage if possible, but I don't think the state has any leverage.

Reaction Score
Much of this is true. But the bottom line is, the total economic impact created by espn far far far outweights the credits it receives. It's a no-brainer doing whatever it takes to keep espn here. Noones pockets are being picked. Plus, espn has done what is required to receive those credits - capital investment, hiring, maintaining - just as may other companies have done. We should try to leverage if possible, but I don't think the state has any leverage.

Omg

They would be doing these things anyways

We did not lure them here with credits. They have been invested here from the beginning. They are not going anywhere. Their capital investments have been made.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Omg

They would be doing these things anyways

We did not lure them here with credits. They have been invested here from the beginning. They are not going anywhere. Their capital investments have been made.

The state level investment credits for big business never pay off, and they tend to piss off every company that didn't get them.

Capital and investment credits for small business, particularly in Tech, pay off huge, and Connecticut is one of the five best states in the country at that.

Reaction Score
The only thing to happen after the move this week to add these three schools is for the bubble to burst. This is the sort of senseless, confusing, and quite frankly, pathetic hail mary that signifies the top is in. Its all downhill from here.

Reaction Score
The only thing to happen after the move this week to add these three schools is for the bubble to burst. This is the sort of senseless, confusing, and quite frankly, pathetic hail mary that signifies the top is in. Its all downhill from here.

Reaction Score
The state level investment credits for big business never pay off, and they tend to piss off every company that didn't get them.

Capital and investment credits for small business, particularly in Tech, pay off huge, and Connecticut is one of the five best states in the country at that.

This is a good take.

If I'm a big business in CT, I'm asking where's mine?

And yet plenty of big businesses still stay. But we are worried ESPN will leave because we are asking them to do something they should have done already, regardless of being in CT or not?

And small business is the backbone of our country, and frankly need the help more, especially just getting started

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How much money are we talking about here? Do you know specifics? I get the feeling everyone talking about ESPN tax breaks know less about the reality then they do Rent concert curfews.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Looks like we’re officially locked out of expansion until 2036 . Congrats to the ACC and BigXII for effectively killing our football team.
There's an outside chance it helps us long term, not to be the annoying optimist guy. If Clemson/FSU/whomever bolt before or during 2036, and there's no better seats available for CalFord, you can pretty much bet those schools in particular will not vote to add Boise St or whomever. Hopefully you could put them in the column with some other schools for a UConn+USF add

Or, more ideally, the ACC blows up altogether and something resembling the OBE Football division is rebuilt at that time. I will also be driving one of my eighteen Ferraris

Reaction Score
There's an outside chance it helps us long term, not to be the annoying optimist guy. If Clemson/FSU/whomever bolt before or during 2036, and there's no better seats available for CalFord, you can pretty much bet those schools in particular will not vote to add Boise St or whomever. Hopefully you could put them in the column with some other schools for a UConn+USF add

Or, more ideally, the ACC blows up altogether and something resembling the OBE Football division is rebuilt at that time. I will also be driving one of my eighteen Ferraris
While this might very well play out, but the thought of putting our future in the ACC that has screwed us multiple times isn't the best feeling.

We just need to get into the club somehow. Once there, there should be better options. I am not sure why UConn isn't in the discussion to get into the ACC or the B12 by proposing something like what Calford is doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom