Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 730 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
-> The ACC’s television contract with ESPN includes a pro-rata clause requiring the network to increase the value of the deal by one Tier 1 share for every new member — believed to be about $24 million a share, or about 70% of a full ACC share, which includes Tiers 1-3.

The ACC would stand to earn about $72 million in new money with the three expansion shares. Cal and Stanford have agreed to each take about 30% of the $24 million share, or roughly $7-10 million. After Cal and Stanford’s share and travel costs are off-set (roughly $1-2 million per school), the ACC stands to earn at least $30 million in revenue to re-distribute, likely through an incentive pool based on athletic success.

The incentives are expected to be heavily weighted toward football success, including such things as winning championships, final top-25 rankings and bowl assignments. <-
But using that math, a full share of the ACC tv contract would be $34m. It wasn’t that high last year. And I don’t know how the ACCN fits in, since a sizable chunk of that $440m total tv rights payment is from that (and therefore separate cash flow from the contracted ESPN payouts).

Reaction Score
I’d love a local reporter or a national reporter to ask ACC, espn or UConn sources if UConn approached them about taking a Cal/Stanford type cut.
Yes the ACC may be a non-starter but I’d like to hear that from some anonymous sources as a curious mind.
I’m assuming we have because it would be stunningly foolish if we haven’t at least approached them about the idea
That’s a terrible deal for UConn. We pay $30 million in exit fees to then make $10 million for several years while we get in a GOR to s league that is likely going to be picked apart in a few years.

Reaction Score
Explain to me how a school that gets maybe 25k per game is relevant in the Dallas market? Going forward, brands matter more than markets.

After Texas and A&M, SMU is likely the 3rd or 4th biggest football brand (with Houston) in the State. It's bigger with a stronger history in football than TCU, which mattes to many. It is also less controversial in terms of it's sports history and religious affiliation than Baylor while Rice is seen nowadays as the Ivy League wannabe in Texas while everyone ignores Texas tech. With how big Texas is and how big football is in Texas, that have to bring value.

Reaction Score
After Texas and A&M, SMU is likely the 3rd or 4th biggest football brand (with Houston) in the State. It's bigger with a stronger history in football than TCU, which mattes to many. It is also less controversial in terms of it's sports history and religious affiliation than Baylor while Rice is seen nowadays as the Ivy League wannabe in Texas while everyone ignores Texas tech. With how big Texas is and how big football is in Texas, that have to bring value.
Pretty sure there is data that shows in Texas the brands above SMU are TX, TX A&M, TX Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Houston.

Reaction Score
Very interesting...

Which could Leave Duek for the B1G along with UVA. While neither is a football power, Duke carries serious basketball value, something that B1G has been lacking, both have strong olympic sports (lacrosse, baseball, soccer) and the academic side of both would fit very well with the B1G.

Reaction Score
That’s a terrible deal for UConn. We pay $30 million in exit fees to then make $10 million for several years while we get in a GOR to s league that is likely going to be picked apart in a few years.

Its about getting your foot in the door. People can talk about the ACC getting picked apart in 11-12 years (or I guess sooner if a school comes up with hundreds of millions of dollars I suppose). But in the end our best hope from a football standpoint is the ACC anyway and the whole waiting until the ACC GOR is over isn't a great idea because we may not even survive independence for another 11-12 years.

Lets say we get 10 mil. What is that, an extra $5 mil per year? So lets say we throw that toward essentially paying off the exit fee over a 6 year period. Perhaps if Mora is in a real football league we are competing for some of that bowl incentive money to also help offset the exit fee. In the ACC our attendance goes up for football, more ticket revenue. And on and on.

I don't love the idea of begging but we are in a tough spot. Of course if one doesn't give a damn about the football program, it's definitely not worth it I suppose.

Reaction Score
Then why do they only draw 25k per game? And, they averaged 3.6k for basketball in 2021/2022. Yet, they bring the Dallas market? Isn't this the same mistake that the ACC made when they added Boston College?

Top 10 Texas college football attendance in 2022:

1) Texas 100.2k
2) Texas A&M 97.2k
3) Texas Tech 56.3k
4) TCU 46.6k
5) Baylor 45.5k
6) UTSA 28.9k
7) SMU 25.0k
8) Houston 24.8k
9) UTEP 19.1k
10) North Texas 19.0k

Reaction Score
SMU would likely make more money for the ACC than BC did simply because of the ACCN. Might not last for long, but if that Nebraska AD was correct about contraction coming, then grab the money while you can.

Reaction Score
After Texas and A&M, SMU is likely the 3rd or 4th biggest football brand (with Houston) in the State. It's bigger with a stronger history in football than TCU, which mattes to many. It is also less controversial in terms of its sports history and religious affiliation than Baylor while Rice is seen nowadays as the Ivy League wannabe in Texas while everyone ignores Texas tech. With how big Texas is and how big football is in Texas, that have to bring value.
Lol.
If SMU were a valuable brand, then the B12 would’ve taken them, not TCU, Houston, or even Baylor (20 yrs ago).

Reaction Score
Very interesting...

And yet remember Oklahomas comment, “We wanted to include Okla St, but that was not an option.”

Schools will ultimately do what’s in their best interest.

UNC may try to play the SEC off against the BiG — “winner gets us both.”

Reaction Score
Cal and Stanford will be getting full shares before the Contract ends per that article. It would be a gradual increase.
And they'll be in the same position again looking for a conference.

Reaction Score
:
And they'll be in the same position again looking for a conference.
and yet they’ve made the determination it’s worth it and then see what happens in 2036. It buys them 10 years rather than staying with the alternative.

Reaction Score
:

and yet they’ve made the determination it’s worth it and then see what happens in 2036. It buys them 10 years rather than staying with the alternative.
That conference is going to look like what the Pac 12 looks like now before 2036. Well not that bad but they'll be flying across the country to play the scraps.

Reaction Score
That conference is going to look like what the Pac 12 looks like now before 2036. Well not that bad but they'll be flying across the country to play the scraps.
I’d take those scraps right now over independent football

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Lol, the ACC wants who whom ever ESPN says that they will give them additional income for. As the Boston College AD said "ESPN told us what to do."

@aburks41 got this exactly right.
I was just having this conversation with two friends of mine who are big UConn fans. One thinks we should stay in the Big East and the Big 12 snub was for the best. My other friend thinks the Big 12 was the right move and works higher up in ESPN legal. Not sure how high but I had to laugh really loud when I said that her company, along with Fox, are playing large roles in shaping these conferences,and her response that she absolutely disagrees. She said that she has seen nothing that supported that. I wanted to nicely say that I have a feeling that info was above her pay grade, but I let the conversation go.

The networks totally control what happens and ESPN has been blackballing UConn from the ACC since the beginning and is letting SMU in instead. Unreal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was just having this conversation with two friends of mine who are big UConn fans. One thinks we should stay in the Big East and the Big 12 snub was for the best. My other friend thinks the Big 12 was the right move and works higher up in ESPN legal. Not sure how high but I had to laugh really loud when I said that her company, along with Fox, are playing large roles in shaping these conferences,and her response that she absolutely disagrees. She said that she has seen nothing that supported that. I wanted to nicely say that I have a feeling that info was above her pay grade, but I let the conversation go.

The networks totally control what happens and ESPN has been blackballing UConn from the ACC since the beginning and is letting SMU in instead. Unreal.
I don't think ESPN is blackballing us per se, I just think they don't give a damn about this one way or the other, some thing that we should reciprocate the next time they come at me and asking for a tax break from the state.

Reaction Score
I don't think ESPN is blackballing us per se, I just think they don't give a damn about this one way or the other, some thing that we should reciprocate the next time they come at me and asking for a tax break from the state.
UConn has more to offer than SMU. It is not an ACC school. It is Wake Forest,

Reaction Score
Umm. We might have to wait and see WHAT THEY decide to do before we take shots at our administration for not doing anything.

I do wonder why if Apple wants in the game so badly, they don't work with those 4 to cherry pick teams into a FB only conference, while making it financially viable to select teams to walk away from the AAC, MWC, etc.
How many times has UConn come up empty down on the CR goal line. At some point you have to ask is it bad luck or incompetence. There are a ton of favorables yet we can’t close the deal. I have zero faith the Admin has any plan or is any more adept than the clown parade that preceded them.

Reaction Score
How many times has UConn come up empty down on the CR goal line. At some point you have to ask is it bad luck or incompetence. There are a ton of favorables yet we can’t close the deal. I have zero faith the Admin has any plan or is any more adept than the clown parade that preceded them.
We have a very good AD at this point. This is about linear media companies that don't see the need to pay for UConn (i.e., as long as Fox can get them on the cheap and ESPN feels they have the CT market already covered). Ultimately streaming will separate the wheat from the chaff. This is when UConn's true value vs many P4 schools will become undeniable. DB has got all of our major programs pointing in the right direction. The Govenor, the UConn administration and the AD are all in sync. If we can continue to build on our recent success in football, we should be well positioned for the next round of realignment. Note: That said, I can definitely see football forming its own "conferences" long term.

Reaction Score
Maybe our next governor and senators should have ties to the mafia. That might make a deal with ESPN more likely.
Our current collection couldn’t be further from mobster types.

Reaction Score
Not joining the ACC is a blessing in disguise. It's not but when the the top schools leave do you really want to be in a conference that has teams in CA. SMU really? The Big 12 is a much better conference and maybe uconn knows they are next in line when/if they move east. Maybe UConn has no interest in the ACC and giving them back all this money and by the time they get profitable the conference is going to be gutted.

Reaction Score
Not joining the ACC is a blessing in disguise. It's not but when the the top schools leave do you really want to be in a conference that has teams in CA. SMU really? The Big 12 is a much better conference and maybe uconn knows they are next in line when/if they move east. Maybe UConn has no interest in the ACC and giving them back all this money and by the time they get profitable the conference is going to be gutted.
You realize the Big XII is in, checks notes, Arizona correct?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom