Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 849 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Adding to the board room come this summer

Because when you're not paying someone anything you don't care if they want to start a couple of months earlier?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like there are three options here for ESPN.
1) battle it out in court to keep the current deal and never fold.
2) use the pending 2025 lookin as a means to amend the deal with an incentive laden extension that somehow steers more money to the ACC top dogs (the ACC would need to agree) and brings them closer or above the B12 (but well short of the SEC and B1G).
3) work with the ACC on a settlement formula to let schools walk and see what happens.

I wonder if #2 would be the cheapest....but it will never be enough to close the gap for FSU, Clemson or UNC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Of note, Fluguar believes all but Miami are the target of SEC and/or B1G expansion. And the SEC's desires might be as much about blocking the B1G as anything else. So can an ACC that loses 6 teams still operate? Maybe, but better hope the B12 doesn't get a green light to expand too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of note, Fluguar believes all but Miami are the target of SEC and/or B1G expansion. And the SEC's desires might be as much about blocking the B1G as anything else. So can an ACC that loses 6 teams still operate? Maybe, but better hope the B12 doesn't get a green light to expand too.

The P4 lost Alston 9-0 at the Supreme Court, and are about to lose another huge antitrust lawsuit in House, and they are consolidating further? Really?

Reaction Score
SMU joins the ACC on July 1 because June 30 is the last day of a media rights year for The American (and most conferences).

The current PAC-12 media rights has a final date of August 1. Therefore, none of the PAC-12 schools can move until August 2.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Adding to the board room come this summer

I think it’s because that when the PAC’s official start of the 2024-2025 season. If they left earlier, they would technically be leaving before their current contract ends.

Reaction Score
Seems like there are three options here for ESPN.
1) battle it out in court to keep the current deal and never fold.
2) use the pending 2025 lookin as a means to amend the deal with an incentive laden extension that somehow steers more money to the ACC top dogs (the ACC would need to agree) and brings them closer or above the B12 (but well short of the SEC and B1G).
3) work with the ACC on a settlement formula to let schools walk and see what happens.

I wonder if #2 would be the cheapest....but it will never be enough to close the gap for FSU, Clemson or UNC.

Pretty sure th ACC already makes more than the B12 due to the ACC network

Reaction Score
I know this is the boneyard and I'm biased but I'd take his $1M salary (or just shy of it) living in CT with all the success the AD has had over living in Tempe making $1.2M or whatever their best offer might have been. ASU athletics are so mid.
well, stable job and stable living might beat out home but an unstable future

Reaction Score
B

12 has the most to gain relatively with programs like Miami, NCSt, VT and GT likely becoming available. They'll definitely be involved.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure 10 years ago right off the split we weren't. Now we most definitely are.
Depends who you ask and for what purpose. I think what he was referencing was the fact that the Big Ten either prohibits or discourages scheduling G5 opponents for conference members, but for the purposes of the application of that rule they consider Connecticut to be a "power school."

On the other hand, in last summers flirtation with the big 12 we heard that conference members preferred to add power schools to the conference and that's why Connecticut was not chosen.

Reaction Score
Sure 10 years ago right off the split we weren't. Now we most definitely are.

Some conferences don’t consider UConn G5 for scheduling purposes but we definitely are.

Reaction Score
Depends who you ask and for what purpose. I think what he was referencing was the fact that the Big Ten either prohibits or discourages scheduling G5 opponents for conference members, but for the purposes of the application of that rule they consider Connecticut to be a "power school."

Right but that's a policy from 10 years ago

CL82

Reaction Score
Right but that's a policy from 10 years ago
Still in place though. But, here's the thing, there's a basis for saying there's a perception of our program as being something different than a G5 program. Ultimately, we just need to back that up on the field.

CL82

Reaction Score
Besides teams from the other Power 5 leagues – ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – plus Notre Dame, several non-Power 5 programs counted toward the Power 5 requirement. That includes the three service academy schools — Army, Navy and Air Force — along with BYU, Cincinnati, UConn and others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom