Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 848 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have ever been the best conference. Their composition is always the same, two strong programs (Duke and UNC) a third good program (a rotating spot between UVA, Wake, NC State, FSU) and a bunch of blah. The media has always hyped the conference beyond its reality.
This is a major reason they need to add UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have ever been the best conference. Their composition is always the same, two strong programs (Duke and UNC) a third good program (a rotating spot between UVA, Wake, NC State, FSU) and a bunch of blah. The media has always hyped the conference beyond its reality.
You forgot Maryland was in the ACC during their basketball heyday. At one point, the ACC was the top conference and when they took Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt, it appeared that they would be again but all three programs have not been as successful in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Since Coach K's quote is at the very end of the article:

"We have a conference that in a lot of ways wants to split,” he says. “I’d like to see us talk to the Big East and say, ‘Let’s form the best football-basketball conference.’ Not everyone has to play football. There’s only one conference that thinks about basketball every day of the year—that’s [commissioner] Val Ackerman and the Big East. If you’re a partner with them, that’s a really good thing.”

Coach K is at the heart of the problems of the ACC today....he kept advocating the ACC as a basketball league as a major voice after it became clear that basketball was not where the money was,,,

Reaction Score
Coach K is at the heart of the problems of the ACC today....he kept advocating the ACC as a basketball league as a major voice after it became clear that basketball was not where the money was,,,
There was no move the ACC could have made that was gonna have the money anywhere to where it is headed for rhe B1G and SEC. Who knew Maryland had the smartest leadership of any school in the ACC. What you have now is a whole lot of whining from schools that had no problem cashing those ACC checks for years.

Reaction Score
There was no move the ACC could have made that was gonna have the money anywhere to where it is headed for rhe B1G and SEC. Who knew Maryland had the smartest leadership of any school in the ACC. What you have now is a whole lot of whining from schools that had no problem cashing those ACC checks for years.
they don't like that all the big players moved into one conference and is now getting all the money. I'm sure they're pissed they missed the window to move and know the Big10 and SEC can knife them EVEN IF they take them in the first place.

Reaction Score
they don't like that all the big players moved into one conference and is now getting all the money. I'm sure they're pissed they missed the window to move and know the Big10 and SEC can knife them EVEN IF they take them in the first place.
Its all a bit much for me. No school has gotten as screwed in conference realignment as much as UConn. I don't go to the FSU or Clemson boards and inundate them with BS about how bad its been for UConn. Too busy celebrating national championships!

Reaction Score
You forgot Maryland was in the ACC during their basketball heyday. At one point, the ACC was the top conference and when they took Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt, it appeared that they would be again but all three programs have not been as successful in the ACC.
Name a season when more than 3 of those teams was a real contender to win it all. Rarely happened. I am not counting names, I am counting contenders and conference strength. The ACC always rode UNC and Duke's coattails and benefited mightily from over inflated preseason rankings.

For all the talk of them being the best conference for decades, most of their titles were won by two programs. Syra, Pitt, Louisville, and ND haven't won a darn thing in that conference. Not one of them is currently relevant. Maryland was really good once a decade. That is not a strong conference. It is a conference with two great programs.

Reaction Score
Maryland had a athletic department that was broke...a football team that was just OK...The B1G was a good move.

The ACC, with too many small private schools and an emphasis on basketball, was caught flatfooted in the massive money shift to football. The ACC payouts were more than the SEC's as late as 2000. And then everything turned upside down...It was football that brought home the bacon where previously it had been basketball.

The reverberations of that flip-flop are still echoing through the conference.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech has played in the Final since Syracuse last played in a Final..(GT lost to UConn). Syracuse won the NC in 2003 and then faded.

Reaction Score
Maryland had a athletic department that was broke...a football team that was just OK...The B1G was a good move.

The ACC, with too many small private schools and an emphasis on basketball, was caught flatfooted in the massive money shift to football. The ACC payouts were more than the SEC's as late as 2000. And then everything turned upside down...It was football that brought home the bacon where previously it had been basketball.

The reverberations of that flip-flop are still echoing through the conference.
ACC wasn’t caught flat footed. They were ahead of curve when they poached Big East.
The knew the game played by media partners.
Reality is there is little a conference can do if a higher ranked conference comes knocking and media partners have their checkbook.
ACC went the GOR route and now that is being tested…

If one was to look back and measure success of Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville you have to say ‘that didn’t quite work out’. Ironically, all but Miami are now considered dead weight in ACC. And Miami is only valued for success 30 years ago.

ACC is now Big East.

Reaction Score
"ACC is now Big East."

True...but paid a bunch more.

Swofford summed it up well...way back..NY Times

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today."

Financially speaking, as well, basketball ruled the ACC universe. Every single year, through its first five decades, when the ACC calculated and divided its shared revenue (money from TV contracts, the NCAA Tournament, the ACC Tournament, bowl games, etc.), basketball was paying the majority of the bills.

Reaction Score
Have been a student of realignment since 1981. Have understood the variables behind the decision making process until recently. Didn't always agree with the decisions, but saw the logic used(see Rutgers and BC). I cannot see what the heck some of these folks are thinking about any more. Nothing screams panic more that the Calford SMU add to the ACC. Yormark had the right idea with UConn, but knuckled under to some of the midwest schools. Somehow I believe we are going to end up OK, but for the life of me don't know how or why. Maybe have a bad case of CR Rule #1, similar to Stockholm Syndrome.

All you need to know about the ACC and how they feel about UConn is see that they added SMU. I want to be optimistic but UConn is extremely undesirable to other conferences. I don't see that changing...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All you need to know about the ACC and how they feel about UConn is see that they added SMU. I want to be optimistic but UConn is extremely undesirable to other conferences. I don't see that changing...
I don't know if we are "undesirable" so much as not desired. There's a difference.

I agree with you that the ACC has had plenty of chances to invite us and for various reasons has not done so. There would seem to be a need for a paradigm shift in order for that to change. The departure of the marquee programs from the ACC would seem to be such a change. of course, the question is whether we would want to join an ACC leftover conference. The answer to that will depend on 1) who is left, 2) what are they offering in terms of conference distributions and 3) whether anyone else to offer.

Reaction Score
SMU paid their way...

To make up for foregoing media rights revenue distribution for its first nine years in the conference, influential SMU donor David Miller was able to get $200 million in donation commitments from the school’s richest boosters, according to Yahoo Sports.

When Miller met with the top boosters to seal the move to the ACC, the combined net worth of the room was believed to be about $15 billion.

“It’s a couple hundred million dollars,” Miller said. “I’m not losing sleep over it.”

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech has played in the Final since Syracuse last played in a Final..(GT lost to UConn). Syracuse won the NC in 2003 and then faded.
It's almost as if the fruit's success all hinged on one coach, something that was wrongly attributed to UConn who have won the men's BB championship with 3 different coaches since the fruit last tasted glory...how utterly ironic. Kick out the one hit wonders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom