Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 784 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it will be the P4 and Big East in the new top tier. Our basketball is paid similar to basketball from P4 conferences.

Reaction Score
The revenue would come from the dismantling of the NCAA tournament which earns about $1 billion a year. Why extend us an invitation? Because excluding what would be in my hypothetical the reigning back to back national champions would be bad PR. Particularly, if we publicly state that we're prepared to be a part of the proposed student revenue sharing alleged basis for the split.

Wishful thinking hasn't worked for us yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wishful thinking hasn't worked for us yet.
Lol, so predictable...
course diss GIF

Reaction Score
I'll be shocked if the small religious institutions of the Big East will be able to compete and hang with the big boys if a split occurs.

1) BB isn't like FB. At least not yet. The top 20 in FB is all P5/P4. Not true for BB.
2) Even the big boys need a Vanderbilt to kick around.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Why extend us an invitation? Because excluding what would be in my hypothetical the reigning back to back national champions would be bad PR.
I'd like to think that bad PR would have prevented a lot of recent crazy garbage from happening, but it happened anyway (teams saying that don't want to go to the Big12 then conveniently reversing course, the dismantling/implosion of the PAC, Michigan's sign stealing, etc). But I'm with ya CL82, want elite BB, then invite the most successful team of the last 25 years, otherwise it's more sanctimonious horsecrap.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd like to think that bad PR would have prevented a lot of recent crazy garbage from happening, but it happened anyway (teams saying that don't want to go to the Big12 then conveniently reversing course, the dismantling/implosion of the PAC, Michigan's sign stealing, etc). But I'm with ya CL82, want elite BB, then invite the most successful team of the last 25 years, otherwise it's more sanctimonious horsecrap.
Yeah, I think that pulling away from the NCAA and effectively stranding D2 and D3 programs without a way to fund their championships may make the departing schools more vulnerable to criticism. I agree though it's been pretty mercenary up to this point though.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I love how there’s a direct quote from a sitting AD talking about how the A5 will be the ones to split and people are still casually just like “yeah the Big East will be there too no worries”

Reaction Score
I love how there’s a direct quote from a sitting AD talking about how the A5 will be the ones to split and people are still casually just like “yeah the Big East will be there too no worries”
WTH is the A5?

And who is the #5?

Reaction Score

The split will be with the NCAA. I'd imagine strong political and public fallout if schools wishing to be part of the "breakaway" are not given access. Im not a legal expert but presume there would be some anti-trust issues to consider.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
So the Pac-2 is going to be in but no the Big East? LOL.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
WTH is the A5?

And who is the #5?
The “autonomy five” are the power five conferences: B1G, SEC, Big 12, ACC, PAC12. They, by legal entity name written in NCAA legislation, have authority to make their own rules and have existing 2 votes to the non-A5 1 vote in NCAA matters.

Well, they’re legally written in the NCAA rules by league name as being part of the A5. That future is TBD- but a reverse merger with MWC becoming the P12 is going to happen. At that point they’d have to change the legislation which could easily happen.

More detail on “Autonomy 5” from 2014:

It lets the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12 create their own rules — other conferences can adopt them, too, if they want — in certain areas to benefit college athletes. Leaders of the major conferences say they have the resources to provide more to athletes and have tried for years but get blocked by smaller schools. External pressure by lawsuits and Congress has also forced the issue.

CL82

Reaction Score
Literally your argument is hope. That’s not an argument.
No, you asked where the money for adding Connecticut could come from. Once that was explained you jumped to something else. It's not a problem, it's your MO. It just makes you tough to take seriously.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, you asked where the money for adding Connecticut could come from. Once that was explained you jumped to something else. It's not a problem, it's your MO. It just makes you tough to take seriously.

Yeah. But that money won’t be there, because your premise is that you are hoping we will be included based on the fact that we won a championship recently. As if that is some sort of sacred discriminator. If we have learned anything, we know that nothing is sacred in this business.

That is why I think your argument hinges on hope.

Reaction Score

If you were in the A5 why would you want to include DePaul and Providence?

Do they even want to include schools like Purdue and Syracuse? And what on earth is IU doing?

They will not be inclusive. That is the assumption.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If you were in the A5 why would you want to include DePaul and Providence?

Do they even want to include schools like Purdue and Syracuse? And what on earth is IU doing?

They will not be inclusive. That is the assumption.
At the end of the day, it won't be as exclusive as they think. In the 80s, they tried to get rid of the MAC from 1-A and couldn't. There will be a few extra leagues that survive.

I've said it before and I will say it again: there will be more than 70 schools at the top level when revenue sharing comes into place. My bet is about 90-100 will play football and there will be about 150 or so altogether.

I actually think the Ivy League (not for football) due to its brand will make the cut.

Here is my guess as to which leagues will decide to opt-in:
Big Ten
SEC
ACC
Big 12
Big East
Pac-12/MW
AAC
A-10
Ivy
Sun Belt

Maybes: