Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach

Reaction Score
The AD isn't telling him who to hire for his asst jobs, nor is the President telling the AD to tell Hurley who/why to hire someone for an asst job.
Normally, yes. But this is a naive take in today’s climate. There are many factors beyond the court to consider. Perception is everything and directives are coming from the very top. If two candidates are relatively close in Hurley’s eyes, it’s not unfathomable to consider that he was asked to “take one for the team” when deciding between the two. I was originally just speculating, but where there’s smoke...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Normally, yes. But this is a naive take in today’s climate. There are many factors beyond the court to consider. Perception is everything and directives are coming from the very top. If two candidates are relatively close in Hurley’s eyes, it’s not unfathomable to consider that he was asked to “take one for the team”. I was originally just speculating, but from some dm’s I’ve gotten today, where there’s smoke...

Release your sources then ... suddenly you have smoke? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'm willing to bet that's more people speculating and trying to put 2 and 2 together.

I'd say worst case scenario is the job was down to 2 very evenly matched up candidates, so Freeman being a loyal Husky and also one who worked with this program in an administrative capacity recently helped push him over the edge. I don't see how anyone is suddenly telling Hurley who to hire.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet that's more people speculating and trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, as I said in my original post, while Freeman was not my ideal choice, I hope he kills it.

Reaction Score
Release your sources then ... suddenly you have smoke? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'm willing to bet that's more people speculating and trying to put 2 and 2 together.

I'd say worst case scenario is the job was down to 2 very evenly matched up candidates, so Freeman being a loyal Husky and also one who worked with this program in an administrative capacity recently helped push him over the edge. I don't see how anyone is suddenly telling Hurley who to hire.

You’ve greatly misinterpreted this decision and don’t seem to have an understanding of who shares the same ideas and goals. Again, you can think he’s wrong, but don’t get it twisted.

Reading through everything, I don’t know if there’s that much disagreement between peoples’ opinions, but I think the idea behind the above quote is sometimes being missed. It’s more that he’s a very good hire and also there’s this other part. Dan knows Kevin and his style, work, etc. (pretty sure all NJ ballers know each other) outside of the UConn connection. He’s got practically his dream job and likes selling the UConn brand and eventually adding to it.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, as I said in my original post, while Freeman was not my ideal choice, I hope he kills it.

Agree to agree on the "kills it" part.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is an employee at the end of the day. He has superiors to answer to. And they have superiors above them. He isn’t making decisions in a silo. I’m sorry you can’t understand that.
Who are the vocal alum? The decision rests with the head coach alone. If not Kevin would have been kept the first time around. Do you think Geno had to run up the flag pole before he hired former UConn players. I have hired plenty of people without superior guidance.

Reaction Score
Normally, yes. But this is a naive take in today’s climate. There are many factors beyond the court to consider. Perception is everything and directives are coming from the very top. If two candidates are relatively close in Hurley’s eyes, it’s not unfathomable to consider that he was asked to “take one for the team” when deciding between the two. I was originally just speculating, but where there’s smoke...

Stop

Reaction Score
What
Really happy for KFree. Makes me sad to think about Rickey Moore. Crazy how different these two paths have been.
[/QUO
What is Ricky up to these days? A true UConn hero who got the shaft in the coaching change.

Reaction Score
I had two thoughts when I read your posts on this:
First, "take one for the team"? To what end? The only thing I can think of would be he's limited to his current budget and to give Kimani a promotion and raise he had to save money on this hire in order to do so.

Secondly, as to the influence from above, do you really believe a highly competitive, highly successful, highly paid, individual with a proven track record in a position that has great impact on revenues earned by a financially struggling organization would roll over on an important hire?
A "rain maker"? Someone who can help reduce the $40 Million deficit.
Someone with a guaranteed, seven year, contract paying $21 Million?
Someone who has turned his part of that organization around both financially and operationally?
Someone who sees a clear path to a National Championship with the right staff on board?
Someone who could leave on a moment's notice when some Power 5 school gets tired of losing?

Lastly, why would the President of the university, who's got to be yearning to return to his former job as a result of all the issues he's having to deal with now, even give a thought to interfering with a guy who's shown great success throughout his career and has increased ticket sale revenue enormously in only two years? And, why would the AD, who's job depends on making good hires and made a great one two years ago, interfere in the hiring decision of his star coach who is the most committed and successful coach he could have hired?

Reaction Score

You’re not wrong to some degree, but Hurley received that guidance from Calhoun, Tiger Tom and his father not really from the admin.

KFree was the right fit and Hurley unlike Ollie isn’t insecure and petty to resent being linked to Calhoun. He recognizes that and the departure of BigTenKen along with KFrees experience at Penn State made it a pretty easy decision for him.

In addition as I said he is looking for loyalty and longevity with this pick. Freeman provides that.

Murray and Webster would have been replicas of KardashianKen.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, it works on many levels. Probably a lower salary than Hunter, allowing DH to spread some $$ to Young & Moore. Doesn't disrupt the staff hierarchy as he is the Jr. guy. He is also a link to former guys if TB decides to look for a coaching slot and goes elsewhere, as Kfree did.

TB needs to move on and get experience, just as Kevin did, or he'll languish in a dead end job. Let's hope he makes the move because he was a great leader on the team, is from the city and could be Kimani's replacement in a few years. The raise and promotion for Kimani will hopefully keep him here for a few more years but all signs point to him wanting to become a head coach in the not too distant future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Me. I made the call.

Come at me bros.
Call transcript:
[phone rings]
DH: Hello.
8893: Dan?
DH: Yeah, who is this?
8893: 8893
DH: Uh, oh, Mr. 93! What can I do you?
8893: Kevin Freeman's your new assistant.
DH: Yeah, yes sir, I know him he's a great guy but we have Webster locked up, We like him because...
8893: It's Freeman [hangs up]
DH: Man, I HATE that guy. Tom get Webster and tell him our needs have changed then get me KFree.

1598985565279.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The raise and promotion for Kimani will hopefully keep him here for a few more years but all signs point to him wanting to become a head coach in the not too distant future.
That's a good thing...means the program is doing well. You want staff that are in demand....means they are doing a good job...though it sucks when they leave. Hopefully he's here for #5 then gets a HC job.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You’re not wrong to some degree, but Hurley received that guidance from Calhoun, Tiger Tom and his father not really from the admin.

I agree that JC and Sr were his ear - more than the admin
My sources tell me that many alumni and some that are very influential were pressing for KFree
You need to know KFree to understand why so many people want him involved in the program. I am positive that DH and Sr saw that from Day 1
KFree was given responsibilities at Penn State that DH wasn't willing to wrestle away from his top 3 guys - now he has that opportunity and took advantage of it
Was money a factor? Yes to a degree
I am thinking that DH really wanted to mentor someone and this was the person he chose - TB is a different personality - which is not a bad thing
WELCOME BACK HOME KFree
Can't wait to chat after the games and functions again!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, how many Yarders have the DMV references going over their heads?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A move made to try and appease the vocal alum who remain loyal to the last head coach

Unfounded and absurd - where do you come up with these concoctions?
KO and KFree are 2 entirely separate situations and have nothing to do with KFree coming back
I can assure your conspiracy theory is 1000% wrong
But nice try
And I too hope KFree kills it

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You must be young. Lyman DePriest is the captain of that team.
Old enough to remember watching him play, too young to remember how he played.

Reaction Score

Don't double down on stupid...it's a bad look

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom