Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach

Reaction Score
Multiple insiders said that Freeman wasn't the first choice and Hurley was pressured to hire him for other reasons? I honestly missed that.

No, nothing about being pressured. There’s other ways that you end up with someone other than your first choice.

Doesn’t matter now, just not sure it’s true that he was the leader from start to finish based on some other posts from knowledgeable people.

Reaction Score
I loved Freeman as a player, but his resume just did not stack up against some of the other mentioned candidates. Leads me to believe that either Calhoun or wealthy boosters had their say and pressure was applied to Hurley.
Top notch programs don’t operate this way. Calhoun loves the program and has respect for Danny he would not meddle like that. The conspiracy theories like this are just whacky.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm the only one who forgot about just how good Freeman was during the 1999 season, but damn.

Big East Tourney MVP (12 pts/7 reb per game)
#4 in the BE regular season in win shares (#2 offensive, #10 defensively)
#1 in the BE in FG%
#2 in the BE in rebounds

Rip and Khalid usually are the ones most talked about offensively while everyone mentions Ricky's defense in the championship game. But Freeman was just an all-around stud for us on both sides of the court.

This is the play I always think of with Freeman. No one outworked him.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm the only one who forgot about just how good Freeman was during the 1999 season, but damn.

#1 in the BE in FG%
#2 in the BE in rebounds

Rip and Khalid usually are the ones most talked about offensively while everyone mentions Ricky's defense in the championship game. But Freeman was just an all-around stud for us on both sides of the court.

Billy Packer is such a . “One hand for the rebound, one hand for the push off.” Classic Packer back-handed compliment insinuating he should have been called for a violation.

Reaction Score
Do we really need to know who was 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice? I mean Kevin is a Husky, did some really good things at Penn State a football program. His ability to recruit just got a whole lot better wearing a "UCONN" sweatsuit into the gyms and we know he will outwork everyone. Emeka wasn't our first choice for big men, Christian Vital not even close at guard but as we see in all lines of hoops hard working people become very successful.

This is a great hire, we will be very happy with the results.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Why was it 2 yrs coaching experience, not 3 or 4... or more. Anyone that has done hiring knows how to draft a description to fit the person they want.
Checkmate..

Reaction Score
That's a good thing...means the program is doing well. You want staff that are in demand....means they are doing a good job...though it sucks when they leave. Hopefully he's here for #5 then gets a HC job.

You mean we can't win two more in the next three to four years?

Reaction Score
You’re not wrong to some degree, but Hurley received that guidance from Calhoun, Tiger Tom and his father not really from the admin.

I agree that JC and Sr were his ear - more than the admin
My sources tell me that many alumni and some that are very influential were pressing for KFree
You need to know KFree to understand why so many people want him involved in the program. I am positive that DH and Sr saw that from Day 1
KFree was given responsibilities at Penn State that DH wasn't willing to wrestle away from his top 3 guys - now he has that opportunity and took advantage of it
Was money a factor? Yes to a degree
I am thinking that DH really wanted to mentor someone and this was the person he chose - TB is a different personality - which is not a bad thing
WELCOME BACK HOME KFree
Can't wait to chat after the games and functions again!

Just what responsibilities of the assistant coaches could Hurley have taken away and given to the Director of Basketball Operations that would have been meaningful for his development? That position is not allowed to recruit and not allowed to coach.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

#1 in the BE in FG%
#2 in the BE in rebounds

Lol Battier had hooked his arm and he still got it.

Reaction Score
You’re not wrong to some degree, but Hurley received that guidance from Calhoun, Tiger Tom and his father not really from the admin.

I agree that JC and Sr were his ear - more than the admin
My sources tell me that many alumni and some that are very influential were pressing for KFree
You need to know KFree to understand why so many people want him involved in the program. I am positive that DH and Sr saw that from Day 1
KFree was given responsibilities at Penn State that DH wasn't willing to wrestle away from his top 3 guys - now he has that opportunity and took advantage of it
Was money a factor? Yes to a degree
I am thinking that DH really wanted to mentor someone and this was the person he chose - TB is a different personality - which is not a bad thing
WELCOME BACK HOME KFree
Can't wait to chat after the games and functions again!
I just find it hard to believe money was a factor when it comes to an extra 100k or so at most. If we are not hiring people because of that little money (in relation to the program) than Hurley is going to leave for the first school that offers him 5-7 million when he turns this around. Really think it’s an issue if that becomes a pattern. We need to start saving money now if we want to retain DH down the road.

Reaction Score
The amount of people who just spew this without any evidence at all is unbelievable.

What can you expect from a soxfan?:rolleyes:
He must not have read my treatise on this issue.
Hurley has a plan.
He's in his dream job.
He makes more money than all but a handful of coaches.
He put together an outstanding staff at a program that had lost its way and become the butt of jokes.
He's rebuilt the roster while also developing the existing players.
He turned the program around financially and operationally in two years.
He wants to win the Big East and National Championships.
He would be hired by Florida or a bunch of other under performing schools in the P5 in less than a week if he resigned due to pressure from above or outside.
Does anyone really believe he would let pressure from the President, the AD, or prominent donors deflect him from what he believes is best for the program?

Reaction Score
Kills me that any of you think you have direct non biased sources close to this decision hahahah

Reaction Score
Certainly could have been a hedge in case other option(s) didn’t work out. They couldn’t go back and change the JD afterwards.
Could have also said 1 year experience to be a better hedge...It also says experience with basketball ops is preferred.....I have no idea about candidates, but if you wrote the description after you had the candidate, it couldn't have been a closer match

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Lol Battier had hooked his arm and he still got it.
I just watched that ending again. Good lord, KEA made me crazy that game... and how about that defense from Ricky to get the travel to end the game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom