Kevin Freeman stepping down from coaching, but will remain at UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman stepping down from coaching, but will remain at UConn

Reaction Score
This shows weak character on Freeman's part. Hurley and UCONN bring him in from Penn State, and then a request to be demoted after less than a year on the job while still cashing in at a made-up desk job by the program. What a deal.

Say no to Jersey.

This is why you say no to basketball mercenaries. They cheapen everything to becoming a fast food enterprise.

The NCAA needs to be revamped from top to bottom with stricter rules and regulations on both coaches and players. Destructive policies are leading to instability and chaos in college basketball.

#DaggerTreyTy
This is definitely one way to look at a grown man making a decision in the best interest of himself and his family.......

Reaction Score
My question is if this has been planned or if hurley didn’t know it was coming? Is he starting from scratch to hire someone new or has this been in the works and an announcement will come fairly soon on a new coach.
If it’s a move working at UConn I’d be shocked if Hurley wasn’t a part of this from the outset

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This shows weak character on Freeman's part. Hurley and UCONN bring him in from Penn State, and then a request to be demoted after less than a year on the job while still cashing in at a made-up desk job by the program. What a deal.

Say no to Jersey.

This is why you say no to basketball mercenaries. They cheapen everything to becoming a fast food enterprise.

The NCAA needs to be revamped from top to bottom with stricter rules and regulations on both coaches and players. Destructive policies are leading to instability and chaos in college basketball.

#DaggerTreyTy
You are crackers! I would love to see you stand up face to face with Kevin and discuss his weak character!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
BOFA deez nuts

1618621320749.png

Reaction Score

Say no to Jersey.

#DaggerTreyTy
Say no to magic

Reaction Score
This is definitely one way to look at a grown man making a decision in the best interest of himself and his family.......
You are crackers! I would love to see you stand up face to face with Kevin and discuss his weak character!
Say no to magic

I don't blame him for wanting to be a stay-at home dad. Go do it and enjoy. UCONN basketball is not some fast food joint where everyone comes and goes as they see fit. Imagine the effect this has on Kimani Young.

However, he could have done that at Penn State while he was in Pennsylvania. Doing it less than a year after being hired by your alma matter after Hurley was led to hire him because he would be loyal and stay medium term to long term is pathetic especially considering he replaced KardashianKen.

#ReformTheNCAA

Reaction Score
I don't blame him for wanting to be a stay-at home dad. Go do it and enjoy. UCONN basketball is not some fast food joint where everyone comes and goes as they see fit. Imagine the effect this has on Kimani Young.

However, he could have done that at Penn State while he was in Pennsylvania. Doing it less than a year after being hired by your alma matter after Hurley was led to hire him because he would be loyal and stay medium term to long term is pathetic especially considering he replaced KardashianKen.

#ReformTheNCAA
Pathetic? For leaving a job? People’s situations change sometimes and I can guarantee he didn’t come here with the intention of leaving after a year. The fact that this needs to be spelled out for you is “pathetic”. Wish him and his family the best and move on.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
mr freeman has been in and around Ct for a long time. kinda hard not to have bumped into him somewhere over the years. nice man, a gentleman. i had him figured to be management, and not coaching. mebbe he's on an athletic director or school executive career path. good guy.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I hate to speculate on this but I wonder if Sanogo and/or Sanogo’s people and/or coach thought he wasn’t getting the right training. My understanding was that KF would spend a lot of time training exclusively with Sanogo. He looked good to me but who knows. I just feel like if Danny really wanted KF in that spot he could have kept him there. This looks like a demotion to me. Maybe something that mutually fit, KF burnt out a little, Danny wanting a change.

Maybe a little of KO still in KFs ear? ?

Reaction Score
I hate to speculate on this but I wonder if Sanogo and/or Sanogo’s people and/or coach thought he wasn’t getting the right training. My understanding was that KF would spend a lot of time training exclusively with Sanogo. He looked good to me but who knows. I just feel like if Danny really wanted KF in that spot he could have kept him there. This looks like a demotion to me. Maybe something that mutually fit, KF burnt out a little, Danny wanting a change.

I wouldn't read too much into it. He left because he has a young family and wants a healthier lifestyle.

Thinking Sanogo is upset is baseless speculation. After the SJU game (which was Hurley's fault) he had as fair a shot as any young big in the country.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I wouldn't read too much into it. He left because he has a young family and wants a healthier lifestyle.

Thinking Sanogo is upset is baseless speculation. After the SJU game (which was Hurley's fault) he had as fair a shot as any young big in the country.
I think it’s completely fair to speculate that Hurley wanted to make a move. Maybe get a more experienced guy in there to develop Sanogo and Johnson. Like Leitao. This is for all intents and purposes a demotion.

Reaction Score

Maybe a little of KO still in KFs ear? ?
089163AF-9918-408A-99F0-3AAD3D65DF5F.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think it’s completely fair to speculate that Hurley wanted to make a move. Maybe get a more experienced guy in there to develop Sanogo and Johnson. Like Leitao. This is for all intents and purposes a demotion.

You read what I said? You didn't respond to what I actually called baseless.

I said that "thinking Sanogo is upset" is baseless because it is. It's a ridiculous thing to say. There is exactly 0 evidence of that.

Speculating about the staff is fine. It's certainly possible Hurley had someone in mind and offered Kevin this job to be considerate to the UConn family and protect everyone's reputations. But we won't really ever know the truth. Personally, I'm taking what Kevin said at face value.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? He wants to spend time with his family, obviously you don't have kids..Go wait for Polley to leave lol!

Reaction Score

Say no to Jersey.

#DaggerTreyTy
Omg, some of the takes in this thread.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I was shocked no one else had dunked the alley oop yet.

41 minutes had gone by.

I'm just happy I caught on fast enough to delete my post of Boneyard Official Faculty Assessments before anyone noticed it.

Well played my friend.

Reaction Score
I have always been a big a Kevin Freeman fan. He is one of my two top "Warrior Huskies" along with Jeff Adrien. Nonetheless, I don't think he has been an effective coach of UConn's "bigs" (has anyone lately?). UConn's in-the-paint game has been lacking, to put it mildly.

Both the men, and women, suffer from the absence of a strong down-low presence.

I'll miss Kevin, one of UConn's great sportsmen, and I wish him well. But D1 basketball was, is, and shall-ever-be, about winning.

Reaction Score
I have always been a big a Kevin Freeman fan. He is one of my two top "Warrior Huskies" along with Jeff Adrien. Nonetheless, I don't think he has been an effective coach of UConn's "bigs" (has anyone lately?). UConn's in-the-paint game has been lacking, to put it mildly.

Both the men, and women, suffer from the absence of a strong down-low presence.

I'll miss Kevin, one of UConn's great sportsmen, and I wish him well. But D1 basketball was, is, and shall-ever-be, about winning.

He was here ONE YEAR. It's ridiculous to claim we know anything. That's not even a full recruiting cycle. Regardless, we have the most promising bigs on our roster in almost 10 years.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

#ReformTheNCAA

Did you ever think that he enjoyed his time in Storrs so much that he wanted to raise his own kids there? The place where he became a man over the course of four years and climbed the CBB mountain top with his Brothers. Father figure close by and not too far from where he grew up himself.

You should refresh your knowledge of what loyalty is before you continue to comment on it.

Brush up on the meaning of the word pathetic too. Look within.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom