Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement

Reaction Score
I love the Lobo jokes, only the BY.

Hobbs would be good but indeed someone with some bigs familiarity would be better. Not sure what's available but the good news is UConn, DH and the Big East is now a solid place to go for growth as a coach. Will be interesting to say the least to see where this goes.

Where's John Thompson Jr coaching?

Reaction Score
Hearing Luke Murray is on the short list of finalists

Fantastic.

Apparently he was an assistant under Hurley at Wagner AND URI. As well as under Tom at Quinnipiac. So this makes a lot of sense.

The teams at Xavier and Louisville have been stellar and Mack gives Murray credit for leading the charge recruiting for them. Maybe he wants to get out from under the Mack shadow and try to make moves to be a HC in a few years? Otherwise this doesn't make much sense. Louisville has money and were a top team last year.

Big time recruiter. Young. Head coaching potential. Fits our mold.

More of a national footprint recruiter I believe. And not a bigs coach. I'd expecr Tom to take over the bigs development in that case.

Edit: I always thought people were kidding when they said his dad was Bill Murray. They're serious??? WHAT

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a good read. Worked for Danny Hurley at both Wagner and Rhode Island, and may have worked with Tom Moore if he was coaching Quinnipiac in 2007-2008. I don't see any actual reference to him coaching bigs, but he's a known recruiter at this point, currently the head of recruiting for Chris Mack at Louisville.

Reaction Score
Fantastic.

Apparently he was an assistant under Hurley at Wagner AND URI. As well as under Tom at Quinnipiac. So this makes a lot of sense.

The teams at Xavier and Louisville have been stellar and Mack gives Murray credit for leading the charge recruiting for them. Maybe he wants to get out from under the Mack shadow and try to make moves to be a HC in a few years? Otherwise this doesn't make much sense. Louisville has money and were a top team last year.

Big time recruiter. Young. Head coaching potential. Fits our mold.

More of a national footprint recruiter I believe. And not a bigs coach. I'd expecr Tom to take over the bigs development in that case.

Edit: I always thought people were kidding when they said his dad was Bill Murray. They're serious??? WHAT
I love it even if it’s only for the opportunity to see Bill sitting behind the bench at Gampel. Which it isn’t, he’s a great coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a good read. Worked for Danny Hurley at both Wagner and Rhode Island, and may have worked with Tom Moore if he was coaching Quinnipiac in 2007-2008. I don't see any actual reference to him coaching bigs, but he's a known recruiter at this point, currently the head of recruiting for Chris Mack at Louisville.

07-08 was Tom's first year at Quinnipiac.

It would really make sense if he's looking to get one last stop before HC job in a few years. Get with two guys he knows and trusts will be successful in Hurley and Tom. Familiar system he knows he can coach well in. Prove he can thrive without Mack.

Reaction Score
Emeka Okafor!

1598393948364.png

Reaction Score
According to the KY transparency site, Looks like Luke makes $300k already.

Reaction Score
Luke was 10 on the 40 under 40 and the 3rd ranked assistant coach. Would be a “A” hire.

I’ll chip into the gofundme if we need a extra couple dlars
Assuming Kenya will provide UConn some buy out cash which can help. I really don’t think UConn would have a problem going up to 400k area if they had to. I don’t even think it requires that much. If money is the issue then Webster is the easiest hire

bottom line if UConn is going all in on being a basketball school, they have to invest like one. If we are capping assistants at 300 k we have issues

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mike Miller is unemployed...He won’t get the job but he’s a well connected guy in AAU, brings nba relevancy & from watchin Memphis games, seemed to be more engaged x&o wise than the head coach. Even tho he left, I haven’t heard a negative thing said about the actual job he did.

Not a DMV guy, but someone connected in the southeast. May not be there yet, but someone with connections west of PA & south of VA Is going to be important as we continue to climb back our rightful throne. Outside just DMV, hunter I believe was our N.C. recruiter too
He would be bored here as an assistant coach. At Memphis - he was the assistant who was also game day coach and strategist as well as his duties as an assistant.
Mike Miller is a High School coach right now.

Even if Miller was interested, his strength is the south and southeast.

Hurley is disciplined and focused on his program and his staff. He doesn't want to be focusing on expansion to the south and southeast. He wants to focus and rebuild the UConn brand from New England to Virginia.

Reaction Score
I think Lobo would be a great choice. Talk about someone who would put in the work. I also think that the emphasis on technique and footwork she could bring to the table would be extremely beneficial.
You must be joking !

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Luke would be insane, no way we get him away from mack and Louisville.

I agree it would be a great hire ... but the scenario is very similar to us losing Kenya. On the surface, not much reason to leave but has a strong relationship with the HC and others and perhaps feels it’s better for his career trajectory (that’s just speculation but it’s there).

Sometimes we need to remember these are humans. Maybe he likes Hurley and the idea of UConn. Maybe he likes the area better than KY. Maybe he likes blue more than red.

Nike over Adidas might be enough for me! Half joking...

Reaction Score
Need a coach of Bigs, Bigs, Bigs. Period! UConn Bigs have been lacking for many years at screens, pick and roll, boxing out, and anticipation. Defensive rebounding is NOT about how high one can jump, but about positioning and anticipation (not to mention a rudimentary knowledge of geometry: 75% of missed shots will rebound to the OPPOSITE side of the rim from which they are shot.) One of the best defensive rebounders in NBA history was Paul Silas (I am no Celtic fan), who couldn't jump out of his own shadow, but knew where to go to enhance his chance of a board. Is rudimentary knowledge of geometry beyond the grasp of today's "student athlete"?

DH, do NOT hire a former guard

Reaction Score
Also followed by Tom Moore and Tripp....
Yeah I don’t think Tripp was there when he was coaching at URI. Neither was Tom. Maybe there is something to it. As of now, wouldn’t read too much into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom