OT: - Kentucky Fan on Calipari | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kentucky Fan on Calipari

Reaction Score
Kentucky people are so stupid they forget where they were before calipari took the job. And that's where they will be when he leaves.
I agree and disagree. UK had more success than Cal has ever had before he came. Other than recruit, what has he done? Regular season success is just so much. When Pitino left, the hats when things went down hill. The thing is he be having WAY too much talent, to come up short the way he does. That’s the main problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Someone should really let that poor guy know Cal is a great "recruiter" and an ok coach. This is common knowledge. Unless he has overwhelming NBA caliber talent at every position his teams are usually mediocre.

Reaction Score
I agree and disagree. UK had more success than Cal has ever had before he came. Other than recruit, what has he done? Regular season success is just so much. When Pitino left, the hats when things went down hill. The thing is he be having WAY too much talent, to come up short the way he does. That’s the main problem.
If they stayed for a second year it might be different. Maybe not pay them so much?

Reaction Score
Kentucky people are so stupid they forget where they were before calipari took the job. And that's where they will be when he leaves.
If they stayed for a second year it might be different. Maybe not pay them so much?
They all don’t even be good enough. Some of them don’t pan out.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Squid's best years are when he was the big fish in a little pond. Even then, both his programs suffered sanctions as he walked out the door ( and not because he was honest when he reported his APR scores)

At UK, he became the king of one and done, showing the world that experience matters. He's proud his kids that would have been drafted out of high school were still drafted after one year at UK. But their fans want rings, not an eight month layover. He doesn't coach kids up.

For me, he showed his true character when he tried to throw Ray Ray, Calhoun and UConn under the bus because he was being investigated for violations. Pure scum

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike Kentucky I have to respectfully disagree. Kentucky might have down years with a coaching change. But because they are a huge, passionate, fan base that has been that way for 70+ years they’ll always do whatever it takes to get back to prominence. They aren’t UMass.
So said Indiana.
A Large fan base and name recognition doesn’t always do it for you. The fact the Squid’s method of turning kids around for the nba quickly and finding them a way to get paid us been diluted by NIL will not help them either.

Reaction Score
Squid's best years are when he was the big fish in a little pond. Even then, both his programs suffered sanctions as he walked out the door ( and not because he was honest when he reported his APR scores)
I'd say his best years were 2010-2019, during which he won a title, made another title game, went to 4 Final Fours and 7 Elite Eights. He didn't have anywhere near that consistency in the A10 or CUSA.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'd say his best years were 2010-2019, during which he won a title, made another title game, went to 4 Final Fours and 7 Elite Eights. He didn't have anywhere near that consistency in the A10 or CUSA.

Every year landing the best class, all one and done players, always top ranked with the highest of expectations, and one title, Underachieved with the talent level

If he has won as much as he was predicted to win, this thread wouldn't exist

But he always has excuses, even at halftime when walking off the court, he's making excuses

Some people like the man, I think he's scum

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of him, but he’s done that job better than anyone else prob would’ve or could’ve.

His numbers are comparable to or better than any coach they’ve had since Rupp (ie, the era when college bball was actually competitive), and he elevated their brand to another level.

Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of him, but he’s done that job better than anyone else prob would’ve or could’ve.

His numbers are comparable to or better than any coach they’ve had since Rupp (ie, the era when college bball was actually competitive), and he elevated their brand to another level.
Winning titles is hard. He has a lot of talent, but a lot of talent that is young and looking towards the NBA rather than March Madness.

He's not the best coach in the country. But since he's gotten to UK only Coach K and Jay Wright won multiple titles.

Reaction Score
That call was therapy right there. Lives were probably saved....

This reminds me of "Artie" who calls WFAN and blows a gasket on every call. Someone needs to be reminded sometimes that sports are entertainment, not worth bursting an aneurysm over.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
If not for UConn in 2011 and 2014, Squid's resume and reputation in the tournament might look very different... Shabazz/Kemba and the rest of the Hungry Huskies played somewhat of an outsized role in shaping this narrative. And I'm here for it.

(Not to mention, we beat them in the second round in 2006 but that was 3 years before Cal's reign)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Winning titles is hard. He has a lot of talent, but a lot of talent that is young and looking towards the NBA rather than March Madness.

He's not the best coach in the country. But since he's gotten to UK only Coach K and Jay Wright won multiple titles.
I think you are forgetting one other team

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I said coaches, not programs, for a reason.
Yeah, I caught that. But since he returned to college coaching, Calhoun has two championships and almost 3.
Don't you think Calhoun has out-coached him too?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I caught that. But since he returned to college coaching, Calhoun has two championships and almost 3.
Don't you think Calhoun has out-coached him too?
Calhoun has 1 national title since Calipari went to Kentucky. He only coached D1 in two of those years, to be fair, but I don't quite understand the nit-pick. Roy Williams also has more titles that Calipari, but that went unmentioned because only one of them came in the timespan.

Reaction Score
He really missed on his evaluation of Bryce Hopkins. He barely played him last year, now Bryce is becoming a star at Providence. 29 points and 23 rebounds last night.

Reaction Score
Someone should really let that poor guy know Cal is a great "recruiter" and an ok coach. This is common knowledge. Unless he has overwhelming NBA caliber talent at every position his teams are usually mediocre.
They may have the overwhelming NBA talent next season. 4 top 10 recruits including the #1 player Wagner and #2 player our friend Justin Edwards.

Next season is make it or break it for Cal

Reaction Score
He really missed on his evaluation of Bryce Hopkins. He barely played him last year, now Bryce is becoming a star at Providence. 29 points and 23 rebounds last night.
yeah I have a difficult time understanding how he couldn't work Bryce into his rotation for regular playing time at Kentucky-that's a mistake on Calipari's part. Bryce was a beast last night against Marquette.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Calhoun has 1 national title since Calipari went to Kentucky. He only coached D1 in two of those years, to be fair, but I don't quite understand the nit-pick. Roy Williams also has more titles that Calipari, but that went unmentioned because only one of them came in the timespan.
Not important. I just didn't see why Calipari's career gets to be defined by his Kentucky years only. Calhoun totally out coached him. As have others beside Jay and Williams. He's good but probably not top 5 of his contemporaries.
What you wrote is totally factual. I just have disdain for Coach Cal and don't want that cheater to get any extra credit

Reaction Score
Not important. I just didn't see why Calipari's career gets to be defined by his Kentucky years only. Calhoun totally out coached him. As have others beside Jay and Williams. He's good but probably not top 5 of his contemporaries.
What you wrote is totally factual. I just have disdain for Coach Cal and don't want that cheater to get any extra credit
Because I was responding to someone who said his best years were when he was a big fish in a small pond, like at UMass and Memphis. They are not his best years. His best years are at Kentucky. To prove that point, you have to look at his results at Kentucky and compare those years (and those years alone) to what other coaches did in the same time period.

Calipari's success at UMass is frankly more impressive in a number of ways. I don't like Coach Cal, but he's largely underrated because his own fan base is incredibly entitled and delusional and our fan base has had Calhoun who is indisputably better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not important. I just didn't see why Calipari's career gets to be defined by his Kentucky years only. Calhoun totally out coached him.
As did Kevin Ollie/Glenn Miller, for whatever that’s worth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom