Kentucky Center Decommitts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kentucky Center Decommitts

Reaction Score
Probably following his coach and I think he’d get eaten alive in the big east
He held his own against SMU, Minnesota, Utah, Seton Hall and probably one I'm forgetting in the NIT. When he was double -teamed or well guarded he dished off for assist, reminiscent of Clingan this year. I think if he can play against P4 on a national, televised stage, he'd do just fine here. He might not be a stat stuffer or lottery pick in the making, but he's unselfish, works hard, coachable, and an experienced upper classman. I'd take him in a second.

And if you saw the way he was after losing that final to Seton Hall, you know he's invested.

Reaction Score
Don’t think this is a hot take, but if there’s a 5* player that committed to Calipari and Kentucky, that tells me that their 1st and only priority is to get to the NBA as soon as they can

That’s not a bad thing. It would be my priority too if I was in that position, but not a type of player Hurley is interested in

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That’s not a bad thing. It would be my priority too if I was in that position, but not a type of player Hurley is interested in
We recruited three of those types of players — Flagg, Ngongba and Edgecomb — this winter. We just don’t often land them.

Hurley’s next task is going to be getting these kids and getting them to buy in like Castle did (and castle, for the record, was never anything but a one-and-done).

Reaction Score
Any word of UConn interest? Feel like the draw to Ngonba was he likely wasn't a 1 and done. Don't know anything about this kid, but if he is a 1 and done, perhaps DH prioritizes portal instead?

Reaction Score
Cal isn’t a developer he’s an agent. The whole I’ll get you 5* guys to the league shows you how ridiculous the recruits themselves are. He literally just kept them from getting drafted out if high school for a decade. What top 10 high schoolers weren’t getting drafted anyway? It was snake oil.
I agree, Hurley's sales pitch is exactly the opposite. Callipari become beholden to his players, but Hurley's become beholden to UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree, Hurley's sales pitch is exactly the opposite. Callipari become beholden to his players, but Hurley's become beholden to UConn.
that's good bro! so true!

Reaction Score
It shouldn't be about the stars, but give me a 5 star with dog in him and something to prove any day.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I think Danny's making a strong case that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
Cal said he focused on offense last year because his players couldn't play defense.

Contrast with Castle saying he couldn't play defense when he got to UConn because his high school coach didn't ask him to play defense. Yet somehow, in his freshman year with DH he becomes one of the best defense players in the country.

HHHmmmmmmm. Maybe the problem was Cal didn't (or couldn't) teach his players to play defense.
He used to have a reputation of stressing D when he was at UMass and wherever he went after that (Memphis...too old to remember and too lazy to look it up).

Frankly I'm shocked at how poorly and inconsistent his teams play D. Is it due to the mentally of these 5* ballers he recruits and/or the lack of continuity each year.

With that said, Hurley and his staff seem to be able to coach up the newcomers each year on both ends of the floor.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We recruited three of those types of players — Flagg, Ngongba and Edgecomb — this winter. We just don’t often land them.

Hurley’s next task is going to be getting these kids and getting them to buy in like Castle did (and castle, for the record, was never anything but a one-and-done).
Think the next step for Hurley is showing his guys in the NBA get to those big second contracts.

That’s what Cal sells them on is not only getting to the NBA, but being prepared enough to get big contracts once there.

Calhoun also used to do the same because his guys made a lot of money (sometimes even got overpaid in some cases).

Reaction Score

And a one and done with a natty. Wonder if the aforementioned names above are having any buyers remorse now?

Reaction Score
Cal said he focused on offense last year because his players couldn't play defense.

Contrast with Castle saying he couldn't play defense when he got to UConn because his high school coach didn't ask him to play defense. Yet somehow, in his freshman year with DH he becomes one of the best defense players in the country.

HHHmmmmmmm. Maybe the problem was Cal didn't (or couldn't) teach his players to play defense.

You have to want to play defense at a high level. Yes, this level of basketball you have to have the athleticism and length, but it has a lot to do with desire and working within a team concept. UCONN's defense this season was like nothing I have seen in college basketball. They absolutely committed to shutting down the three point line and switched off masterfully to do that. Now, it also helped that Clingan was back there protecting the rim, but it was simply tremendous defense. That starts with the coaching, so hats off to Hurley for that.

Reaction Score
Think the next step for Hurley is showing his guys in the NBA get to those big second contracts.

That’s what Cal sells them on is not only getting to the NBA, but being prepared enough to get big contracts once there.

Calhoun also used to do the same because his guys made a lot of money (sometimes even got overpaid in some cases).
Andre is definitely going to help Castle and Clingan imo. The counter to all of this three point shooting is to get tall, long, athletic defenders that can run guys off the three point line, have motors that never quit, post guys up, and get in the lane, to the rack, and to the line. Defense and bigs are making a comeback. As the Suns just found out against Minnesota.

Reaction Score
I just have no interest in 5* centers.
We hear you. . . .
10 Facts and Stats About Andre Drummond Photo Gallery | NBA.com

Reaction Score
just seen that he turns 17 in July, dude is a full year ahead of his class , surprised he was never held back and re-classed a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom