Karaban Report Card To Date | The Boneyard

Karaban Report Card To Date

Reaction Score
Many posters on the board know I am 'all in' with Karaban, and it seems quite a few others agree. Statistically, I believe he will be efficient, but I'm not sure how large the numbers will be in any category. My very first post after I saw him years ago, I compared Karaban's play to Giffey as a senior. That means he will just do the smart plays to enhance the chance to win. Like Giffey, Karaban will defer his scoring if other hands are hot, and just take the right shots when open, get the important rebounds, and make foul shots. Some games he may go off with 6 threes, and other games he may have 0 attempts. He is unlike Polley because he is rugged inside and gives much more to a team than shooting. I think he has the ability to be a 'go to' offensive player from the outset, but we have so many good players that won't be evident .

My limited predictions:
He won't miss 2 consecutive foul shots
He won't miss 4 consecutive 3 pointers
Fans will love his play
My Karaban 'Fanboy' post I quoted was from August 8th.
Those thoughts were my expectations that I'm evaluating against, and here are Karaban's measurables to see what he delivered.
952 minutes in 33 games = 28.8 minutes per game (is greater than even I expected and shows what staff thinks)
35-42 from the line for 83.3% (3-5 in 1 game but I don't recall the misses were consecutive)
58-142 from 3 for 40.8% from 3 (0-3 twice, 1-7 once vs Butler where he likely did miss 4 in a row, (forgiven))
1x 0 RB, 3x 1 RB, All other games >=3RB with 2 games of 8 RB (has delivered more than Polley on the boards)
37 total Turnovers (0 Turnovers in 8 games, 2 games with 3 turnovers, 0 games with more than 3 turnovers = good ball security)
59 total Assists is nearly 2 per game with a positive assist/TO ratio from the 4 spot
Chosen frequently to inbound the ball against end of game pressure D by opponents
Has recently started taking the ball hard to the rim a couple times per game
Has drastically improved 1x1 isolation defense in second games so we are not seeing that strategy in obvious way anymore
Clutch game winning shots in crunch time since Seton Hall
Karaban Caravan NIL products
Excellent insightful @gwhuskyfan interviews
Freshman of the week several times
Tons of Boneyard Love

Solid 'A' to 'A+'
Thank you Alex, and thanks in advance for a Natty

Reaction Score
Those thoughts were my expectations that I'm evaluating against, and here are Karaban's measurables to see what he delivered.
952 minutes in 33 games = 28.8 minutes per game (is greater than even I expected and shows what staff thinks)
35-42 from the line for 83.3% (3-5 in 1 game but I don't recall the misses were consecutive)
58-142 from 3 for 40.8% from 3 (0-3 twice, 1-7 once vs Butler where he likely did miss 4 in a row, (forgiven))
1x 0 RB, 3x 1 RB, All other games >=3RB with 2 games of 8 RB (has delivered more than Polley on the boards)
37 total Turnovers (0 Turnovers in 8 games, 2 games with 3 turnovers, 0 games with more than 3 turnovers = good ball security)
59 total Assists is nearly 2 per game with a positive assist/TO ratio from the 4 spot
Chosen frequently to inbound the ball against end of game pressure D by opponents
Has drastically improved 1x1 isolation defense in second games so we are not seeing that strategy in obvious way anymore
Tons of Boneyard Love

Solid 'A' to 'A+'
Best recruiting call ever. You were 100% right about AK.

adding to your achievements:
58.5% 2PT-FG% … the only reason his overall FG% is ”low” is because he takes so many 3’s.
127.1 Offensive Rating (which is actually higher than Zack Edey)

Alex’s efficiency is absolutely bonkers for a freshman and can’t wait to see what he does with higher usage next year (and in the NCAAT)

Reaction Score
It's an A. Effecient, smart, improving rapidly. It was obvious what he'd be at this level for anyone who watched him in high school.

Things I want him to work on this summer to go from very good to great, and hopefully elite by junior year:
  • S&C. He's never going to be Andre, but maximizing his speed and strength will be important. Right now, he has solid footwork on screens but just isn't fast enough to get open the way we need him to. Will help him continue to grow as an asset on defense.
  • Diversify his shot creation. Not being able to create his own shot with the dribble is limiting him. He's really good at finding space for a catch and shoot
  • Layups off 1 foot. Ideally on both sides. He gets blocked a lot because he jump-stops even before a layup in transition. He never, ever (ever) takes layups on the run. He's already good at thing rim--this will take him to great.
I've said it in other threads, but I really believe he'll be a 15/6/3 kind of player next season and make a push for an all-conference selection if he has a good off-season.

Reaction Score
Need to get him the ball more offensively at this point. He’s our third best player.

Reaction Score
It's an A. Effecient, smart, improving rapidly. It was obvious what he'd be at this level for anyone who watched him in high school.

Things I want him to work on this summer to go from very good to great, and hopefully elite by junior year:
  • S&C. He's never going to be Andre, but maximizing his speed and strength will be important. Right now, he has solid footwork on screens but just isn't fast enough to get open the way we need him to. Will help him continue to grow as an asset on defense.
  • Diversify his shot creation. Not being able to create his own shot with the dribble is limiting him. He's really good at finding space for a catch and shoot
  • Layups off 1 foot. Ideally on both sides. He gets blocked a lot because he jump-stops even before a layup in transition. He never, ever (ever) takes layups on the run. He's already good at thing rim--this will take him to great.
I've said it in other threads, but I really believe he'll be a 15/6/3 kind of player next season and make a push for an all-conference selection if he has a good off-season.
Agree with you--esp. on SnC.. Will help him with vertical explosion and his first step.. Even AK has been quoted as saying one of his top priorities in off season is to work on his body/strength.

Prideful and intelligent young man.. He'll be fine.. And the season ain't over yet for more growth.

A- ----because there's always something to improve on

Reaction Score
Best recruiting call ever. You were 100% right about AK.

adding to your achievements:
58.5% 2PT-FG% … the only reason his overall FG% is ”low” is because he takes so many 3’s.
127.1 Offensive Rating (which is actually higher than Zack Edey)

Alex’s efficiency is absolutely bonkers for a freshman and can’t wait to see what he does with higher usage next year (and in the NCAAT)
I have had 1 hot take ever here. 20 odd years. I have no idea how to dig it up; but for once I had a source and called AK to UConn weeks before the official announcement. Rarely right, I'm glad I was. By around game 20 he also had developed into a badass. Future captain no doubt.

Now win

Reaction Score
As most of you know I'm another AK fan. He exceeded my expectations by a mile. I thought he would be a decent bench piece and could hit some threes. But I didn't expect him to start, average 29 minutes a game, and be such a big contributor. I hope I run into him soon so I can congratulate him on an excellent freshman season.

Reaction Score
I love Karaban. He had an incredible mid-year defensive improvement and he shoots basically 100% on big-time shots.

I recall 5 big-time shots and 1 miss this season.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
The fact that many of us wish that he had taken the final shot speaks volumes
Yes, needed to run Hawk as decoy and Newton should have found AK for that shot.

AK should take the clutch shots in the tourney too.

Reaction Score
Tons of Boneyard Love

Solid 'A' to 'A+'
On the cusp of being our best and most reliable player !

Reaction Score
What's refreshing about AK is that he will always hold himself to be accountable to his teammates and himself.. He called himself out on the missed three (referred to above).. beating himself up about it.. FWIW--I noticed yesterday when we were trying to get stops in the second half he was trying to get his teammates in the right places on D.. Almost like a defensive coordinator on the floor.. Shows the trust he's earned from his team/coaches..

Reaction Score
I would have felt much bettter with him shooting that last shot. He squares up and takes good shots even with people all over him. Jordan’s shot was one of the worst end of game shots I’ve seen in awhile.

Reaction Score
He squares up and takes good shots even with people all over him.

I hesitate to agree with this. I do think he was the best option for that last possession though.

His release is quite low and it's mostly a set shot, so he has trouble getting his shot off versus tight defenders. He's gotten blocked at least 3x taken a 3 point shot this year. Getting open to get his shot going off the dribble or versus a tight defender off the catch will be an important point of improvement for him.

Reaction Score
You just feel very fortunate to get a player like this on your team. I think his next step would be to add aggressiveness to his offensive game, put the ball on the floor going to the rim more or stopping and popping inside the 3 point line when he is covered out there. He’s going to make his foul shots and as good a passer that he is there will be more assists.

Reaction Score
He's the ideal college player. Doesn't blow you away athletically, but he's a heady player for whom his complete game is more than the sum of his individual skills. He's the opposite of a guy like Samson Johnson, who wows in workouts, but who struggles to find a role in a winning 5-on-5 setting.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Tons of Boneyard Love

Solid 'A' to 'A+'
A++++.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Who knows if we would’ve gotten this Karaban if Johnson didn’t get injured