2020 Recruiting: - Kadary Richmond reopens recruitment | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Kadary Richmond reopens recruitment

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah Kadary seems like an NBA 1 college 2, seems more of a Cam substitute than an Andre competitor. I doubt the coaches back off him. With RJCole-JGaffney-JBouknight-AJackson there's room for one more perimeter guy and it has to be a scorer. Either Kadary or Cam would be great gets. I can see why if Kadary lacks self-confidence he might want to go where there is less competition for minutes, but maybe his confidence will rise at Brewster.

Reaction Score
I guess Kadary's recruitment is wide open. Since Jackson's commitment there has been a crystal ball for UConn, Seton Hall, and now Syracuse. I hope we really are still in it. He gives us depth at point in a crunch as potentially point guard #3 after Gaffney and Cole, and, we need at least 5 quality players to share the majority of minutes at 1,2,3, otherwise we are too thin for injury or foul trouble.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From what I’ve read and heard it seems to me that Kadary is more of a scoring 1 or 2, while Jackson is an athletic, good defender but challenged-shooting 2/3 that could even defend the 4. They sound like different players from that profile, but I haven’t seen either of them play. What I think of is one of our best teams ever started KO at point, Doron at 1/2, Ray at 3 (6’5” at best) and Donny M at 4 6’6” if he stretched). Different time and game I understand, but I think if the players are athletic enough they can make up for little lack of height.

Kadary doesn't seem much like a college PG from what I've seen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would be happy if we got one of those two bigs and were in it til the end w Cam. Getting André feels like it allows that risk to be taken??

No inside info, but my sense is that we’re a long shot for Cam.

But I’m with you - just get one of those two bigs, take a shot with Cam and then just be open if something falls in their laps later on.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Richmond picked up 3 CB's since 10/5-10/7 for cuse. kinda anyone but them

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Cuse board is torn about whether they want him. Some saying they’re happy to take a top 100 kid who’s been climbing up the rankings. Others saying they don’t want UConn’s “sloppy seconds.” One guy said Kadary was never going to UConn because he’s too good for us. Lololol. Apparently we don’t recruit top 100 kids regularly...?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Adam Finklestein suggests that UConn is out after getting Jackson...

If Richmond is getting good advice we should be out. He's too similar to Jackson to come in as part of the same class. Especially with Bouk already on the team.

Reaction Score
Kadary has that NBA-caliber talent. I hope he doesn't waste it in the zone.
Bit of a stretch although I do really like Richmond. The main issue with signing Richmond instead of Jackson is that Jackson was their (and our) #1 priority. It's a bad look to miss on a guy you put that much effort into. But Richmond is very talented.
If Richmond is getting good advice we should be out. He's too similar to Jackson to come in as part of the same class. Especially with Bouk already on the team.
They aren't that similar, but our PT at the 1-3 will be pretty tight now with Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Adams, Wilson, and Jackson all in the fold for the next couple of years.

C

Chief00

We actually played Jackson the year before in Kansas. They could easily play together.

Kadary is a 6’5 scorer. Can handle really good offensive player can play 2/3 and a little 1. He should really blow up this year at Brewster. All the talent in the world there. Just needs to be consistent.

Andre just really looks the part. Good size and length. He wasn’t great the week I saw Him. But he can be an elite nba defender. Play 2-4. He just wasn’t a great offensive player in the half court. He was really patient didn’t force anything.

You would need some shooting at the other spots if they were ur 2 and 3.
Agree. Two different players and we could definitely use both. You need both. You have to be able to defend and score so the game isn’t so difficult. This idea that we have enough of good players is untrue in my view - we need more. Things aren’t static.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bit of a stretch although I do really like Richmond. The main issue with signing Richmond instead of Jackson is that Jackson was their (and our) #1 priority. It's a bad look to miss on a guy you put that much effort into. But Richmond is very talented.

They aren't that similar, but our PT at the 1-3 will be pretty tight now with Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Adams, Wilson, and Jackson all in the fold for the next couple of years.

That's all I was saying really, not that we wouldn't want him, that he would likely want less competition for time. He's a 6'5" athletic wing/guard. I'm not concerned about the 1, as that's Cole/Gaffney. But the 2-3 have Bouk, Jackson, Wilson, Adams, Gaffney (who will play some SG) and even Polley on occasion. That's a Sr. two JRs, 2 sophomores and 1 other freshman (who is a better fit at the 3, which is the weaker spot) to fill two spots.

@Chief00 called him a scorer, but is he really a shooter? A slasher will be hard pressed to crack the lineup. I only go by what is reported here, and it suggested that he's not. Not like Cam is. If that isn't accurate, I'm happy to be corrected.

Reaction Score
Since we love making player comparisons (I'm also guilty)....I'm sticking with my Chris Clarke comparison for Richmond, and thinking Kidd-Gilchrist is pretty apt for Jackson...broken shot and all

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's all I was saying really, not that we wouldn't want him, that he would likely want less competition for time. He's a 6'5" athletic wing/guard. I'm not concerned about the 1, as that's Cole/Gaffney. But the 2-3 have Bouk, Jackson, Wilson, Adams, Gaffney (who will play some SG) and even Polley on occasion. That's a Sr. two JRs, 2 sophomores and 1 other freshman (who is a better fit at the 3, which is the weaker spot) to fill two spots.

@Chief00 called him a scorer, but is he really a shooter? A slasher will be hard pressed to crack the lineup. I only go by what is reported here, and it suggested that he's not. Not like Cam is. If that isn't accurate, I'm happy to be corrected.
Pretty much sums up what I see. Unless you can get a gifted shooter like Cam the next two scholarships should be focused on bigs.

Reaction Score
Pretty much sums up what I see. Unless you can get a gifted shooter like Cam the next two scholarships should be focused on bigs.

i tend to agree. but this implies 2 centers among cliff/Javonte Brown Ferguson/cardwell/gray would be open to committing together. so can someone square the playing time calculus for me?

the majority here seem to think the presence of bouk/jackson/adams/wilson/polley has caused kadary to worry about playing time. so why wouldn't the presence of carlton/springs and freshmen center 1 (cliff/Javonte Brown Ferguson) cause freshmen center 2 (cardwell/gray) to be even more worried about playing time?

there's more PT available on the wings because two or three can be on the floor at the same time, whereas there will never be more than 1 center on the floor. so freshmen center 2 would be 4th on the depth chart, whereas kadary would be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart. i can only picture josh gray agreeing to come into this situation. thoughts?

(yes carlton will be gone in 2 years but the team is also losing vital after this year and polley after next year so that evens out in terms of wing/center PT)

Last edited:
C

Chief00

You picked up on the distinction (Scorer vs Shooter). In the limited time I have seen him play, he is a guy who could become a decent shooter, if he worked on it. Cam currently is a better shooter.

C

Chief00

As for class size, Chief generally likes 4 men classes. That gives you 16 guys in 4 years coming in and once the program gets up and running 2-3 should leave early for the NBA, 2-3 transfer or get injured or expelled for other issues. Now you are down to a rotating 10-12 and you back fill with grad transfers or 2-3 year transfers who meet needs. This is called roster management.
3 men classes don’t give you enough consistent deep talent and too many talented guys are unhappy with minutes in 5-6 man classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As for class size, Chief generally likes 4 man classes. That gives you 16 guys in 4 years coming in and once the program gets up and running 2-3 should leave early for the NBA, 2-3 transfer or get injured or expelled for other issues. Now you are down to a rotating 10-12 and you back fill with grad transfers or 2-3 year transfers who meet needs. This is called roster management.
3 men classes don’t give you enough consistent deep talent and too many talented guys are unhappy with minutes in 5-6 man classes.
Thanks for the explanation of what “roster management” is :’) !!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As for class size, Chief generally likes 4 man classes. That gives you 16 guys in 4 years coming in and once the program gets up and running 2-3 should leave early for the NBA, 2-3 transfer or get injured or expelled for other issues. Now you are down to a rotating 10-12 and you back fill with grad transfers or 2-3 year transfers who meet needs. This is called roster management.

It's ideal, but tough in a coaching change. Hurley came in late, so that 1 man class (really 2 if you count Cole), which was all that was possible at the time, unbalances things. Throw in the schollie restriction too.

pj

Reaction Score
Didn’t think it was thread worthy but as expected Lane just committed to Florida. So that leaves Cam and Kadary as the only 2 2020 guards we are still after.

That's fine. Only the very best guards will improve our team, and those two are special. We should be focused on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom