Just Curious: Health Protocols | The Boneyard

Just Curious: Health Protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Really hoping this thread stays on topic…

All game we kept hearing how Nunge was battling the flu. Have we learned nothing in the last 3 years? This dude is out there putting the health of 9 other guys at risk? Are there no protocols or screening before games? He’s a stiff and 40 years old so we should have been able to stop him especially because he looked like a ghost but it seems reckless to me.

Reaction Score

All game we kept hearing how Nunge was battling the flu. Have we learned nothing in the last 3 years? This dude is out there putting the health of 9 other guys at risk? Are there no protocols or screening before games? He’s a stiff and 40 years old so we should have been able to stop him especially because he looked like a ghost but it seems reckless to me.
Is this a serious post?

Athletes play sick all the time.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Is this a serious post?

Athletes play sick all the time.
Are you serious?

First, playing hurt and playing sick are two different things. I'd argue that too often athletes are lionized for "sucking it up" to the detriment of their own health (for example, all of the kudos given to Mike White after he fractured a few ribs a couple weeks ago). Same thing with Tua.

Secondly, it really depends on what type of illness he was dealing with. If it's a stomach flu (like MJ's famous game) then go nuts playing through it. If it's going to endanger others on the court because he has a respiratory illness, then sit out. This is not rocket science.

Beyond what has been happening IRL over the last three years, there is a basketball precedent for this. If you're bleeding or have an open wound, the game is stopped and it must be taken care of.

I side with Momma Cole and dreamjobbed2.0 over superjohn:

Reaction Score

OMG please

He had the flu. Not Covid. If he had Covid he wouldn’t have been in the building. Pick another red herring.

Reaction Score
My son was a trainer for MSU football this year. He tested positive for the flu before thanksgiving and they didn’t let him travel to the Penn State game. Shouldn’t have been on the floor. Athletes were treated the same way.

(If it was the flu)

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don’t think it was the flu: Takeaways: No. 22 Xavier upsets No. 2 UConn 83-73 on New Year's Eve

Jack Nunge battled through a nasty stomach bug and managed to be Xavier's most impactful player in the win. Sean Miller said afterward that Nunge was sleeping 30 minutes before tipoff but he didn't have a fever so he was cleared to play.
Sorry but not having a present fever is not the only consideration within an acceptable protocol. I had a “nasty stomach bug” on Dec 27 tested negative for Covid and flu then and yesterday tested positive for Covid. Along with the refs we have a couple of things to talk to the front office about. Those of you looking at Miller in the BE as a good thing be careful what you wish for

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was more disturbed by the fact that he’s in college and just got married. Who steered him wrong like that? Terrible decision. Far more egregious than playing under the weather.
His poor wife probably thinks he has a professional future that doesn’t involve Estonia.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
OMG please

He had the flu. Not Covid. If he had Covid he wouldn’t have been in the building. Pick another red herring.
Not a red herring. He may or may not have either either flu or covid

Reaction Score
Every college athlete that presents symptoms gets tested for flu and COVID (or at least they should). And shouldn’t be playing if they test positive for either. I didn’t even know there was a test for flu until I asked my son how do you know it was the flu?

Reaction Score
Big deal. They beat us he played well
The complaining from uconn fans is getting alittle ridiculous... yeah let's beat them without one of xavier best players. That's a great way to want to win. All of a sudden we turned into the whining complaining Syracuse fan base

Reaction Score
Can you imagine being worried about someone with the flu? Lol

(It disappeared the last few years btw)

It is just a matter of not wanting it to run through the whole team and kill practice and games for a week. It isn't really "worry"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom