June recruiting thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

June recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Currently has offers from Ohio State, Arizona, Rutgers, BC, Providence, others. Followed by CD and Kelis Fisher

Reaction Score
Koval is 6-4, the same height as Olivia Vukosa. At the rate these media sites keep inflating her size, she'll be 6-9 by the time she gets to a college campus.
Koval’s Twitter page says she’s 6’5”. I don’t think Koval would mislead people about her height.

Reaction Score
Koval is 6-4, the same height as Olivia Vukosa. At the rate these media sites keep inflating her size, she'll be 6-9 by the time she gets to a college campus.
What’s taking UConn so long to offer her? We can’t afford to loose her corners.

Reaction Score
I like the block where she just tips the ball up and then grabs it. Much better than the big swat that just allows the opposing team to reload.

Reaction Score
What’s taking UConn so long to offer her? We can’t afford to loose her corners.
Who knows? I'm sure they had initial contact with her at least as far back as a year or so ago. Could be as simple as lack of interest on either Koval's or UConn's part. The WBB Blog, which is usually fairly accurate, doesn't list her as a player of interest for UConn. Beyond Cheli and Ziebell, they list only 5 others and of course Fournier is gone to Duke. Strong, Cambridge, Berry, and Carlton are the remaining 4. I can't link to the site.

Reaction Score
That fact that koval is from New York and hasn't visited Uconn yet is a very bad sign.
It is surprising to me too that she hasn’t shown interest in UCONN (even though I’m a ND fan). I truly think Strong is going to UCONN (being their “silent commit”).
Koval has visited Stanford this Spring. LSU, Miami, and ND are on her lists of official visits in September (meaning to me, that could be her top 4: Stanford, LSU, Miami, and Notre Dame… we’ll see though).

Reaction Score
That fact that koval is from New York and hasn't visited Uconn yet is a very bad sign.
I think the geographic edge theory doesn't apply so much for foreign players. For US players from the northeast I presume we have a pretty big advantage, but Koval is from Ukraine. Boston didn't seem to favor us or feel geographical linked to the area either. I have no idea about Koval's family or where they are now, I'm just saying Koval may not think of herself as a New Yorker or northeast resident.

Regardless "if" Uconn has not offered I am a little surprised. Unlike a couple of other programs that had many very talented bigs (SC and Stanford) we have tried to survive with a mostly three big rotation the last couple of years, and last year the third big (Ayanna) was not performing up to the usual Uconn standards, at least not yet.

This year we have two talented prospects to potentially play the 5 and maybe some at the 4, but like Ayanna they are not yet proven, so it appears there is a need for another 5. If we are potentially not offering Koval or Tac, and the 2025 class doesn't seem to have any true 5's at their level, it might mean that Geno is supremely confident that Ice and Jana are both the real deal and he can wait until the 2026 class (Big O) to look for the next one.

Another alternative explanation is the limitation on available free rides and if we only have room for one more big from the 2024 class, we have to concentrate on Strong or potentially Carlton. The uncertainty over who returns for a potential 5th year and who doesn't can really make knowing what you do and don't have available difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom