OT: - Jon Scheyer serious candidate for Pitt job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jon Scheyer serious candidate for Pitt job

Reaction Score
I actually think it is pretty awesome that a guy who has never really coached a minute in his life could possibly land a p5 coaching job. I may have to apply.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine this place if we went 0-19, had 9 players transfer, and our best coaching prospects were a 4yr Duke assistant or Rick Majerus who's actually dead?

There's burnin down the house, and then there's going biblically scorched @#$%^*ing earth.
Touché

Reaction Score
Does the Xavier job get filled before the Pitt job?

Reaction Score
Does the Xavier job get filled before the Pitt job?

Do we care just because college basketball or do we care extra because a perception that the Pitt job being considered along with the UConn job has a transitive property impact on UConn?

If the latter are we rooting for a good candidate/hire (intangible boosting image of UConn job) or a bad hire (indirect benefit to UConn that yet another school picked for power conference continues inferior performance vs UConn athletics)?

Reaction Score
Do we care just because college basketball or do we care extra because a perception that the Pitt job being considered along with the UConn job has a transitive property impact on UConn?

If the latter are we rooting for a good candidate/hire (intangible boosting image of UConn job) or a bad hire (indirect benefit to UConn that yet another school picked for power conference continues inferior performance vs UConn athletics)?

Are you new here?
Root for all schools to be dumpster fires, especially former conference mates.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was talking to someone today and we agreed that you’ll know Pitt has given up when they just decide to hire someone off of Duke’s roster.

lol well done

Reaction Score
Are you new here?
Root for all schools to be dumpster fires, especially former conference mates.
Sorry that's not my default, too much negative energy man.

I do think the perception that Hurley seriously considered Pitt (my guess is he just shopped us to get better $/terms) and they cannot get a good hire makes UConn look a tiny bit worse by association. I also think of course that UConn is better (and perceived that way) because if we aren't better and aren't thought of as better we do not get Hurley given our conference mess.

And despite my general distaste for schadenfreude I do think its karma that BC, Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers, Louisville, etc.. struggle to make good in their ill-fitted conferences - mostly because they are ill-fitted, we were screwed and college basketball was irrefutably better with the old conferences.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I do think the perception that Hurley seriously considered Pitt (my guess is he just shopped us to get better $/terms) and they cannot get a good hire makes UConn look a tiny bit worse by association. I also think of course that UConn is better (and perceived that way) because if we aren't better and aren't thought of as better we do not get Hurley given our conference mess.

Even though it's a crapshow, Pitt was still considered one of the top jobs on the market this year.

And a number of good coaches turned it down (Matta/Crean/Oats/Hurley...). All that means is it's not on UCONN's level. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hurley came out after the fact saying he wanted UCONN before and after everything else, including Pitt and RI. Now he could be BSing, but I never got that feel from him.

Reaction Score
Even though it's a crapshow, Pitt was still considered one of the top jobs on the market this year.

And a number of good coaches turned it down (Matta/Crean/Oats/Hurley...). All that means is it's not on UCONN's level. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hurley came out after the fact saying he wanted UCONN before and after everything else, including Pitt and RI. Now he could be BSing, but I never got that feel from him.
Agree on Hurley, wasn't BS and he clearly KNOWS what UConn basketball is and can be much in the way Calhoun knew before it even happened.

Not sure on the Pitt job being among the top. How would you rank the available jobs to date?
I'd separate into 3 tiers, no particular order within:
Top Jobs: UConn, Louisville
I'm sure most non-UConn fans would Cards job above UConn, but given all the infractions and Pitino stank I'd rank Cards #2
2nd tier: Xavier, Memphis, Georgia, Pitt,
3rd tier: URI, La Salle, Coloroda State, Ole Miss, East Carolina, Middle Tennessee, Pepperdine (could vault into 2nd tier due to location!!), Evansville (because I LOVE WALTAH!)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree on Hurley, wasn't BS and he clearly KNOWS what UConn basketball is and can be much in the way Calhoun knew before it even happened.

Not sure on the Pitt job being among the top. How would you rank the available jobs to date?
I'd separate into 3 tiers, no particular order within:
Top Jobs: UConn, Louisville
I'm sure most non-UConn fans would Cards job above UConn, but given all the infractions and Pitino stank I'd rank Cards #2
2nd tier: Xavier, Memphis, Georgia, Pitt,
3rd tier: URI, La Salle, Coloroda State, Ole Miss, East Carolina, Middle Tennessee, Pepperdine (could vault into 2nd tier due to location!!), Evansville (because I LOVE WALTAH!)

I'd probably make 5 tiers in that model:

1: UCONN/Ville (Vill better job but situation makes them neck and neck)
2: Georgia/Pitt (money/resources/conference)
3. Xavier/Memphis (Xavier ahead given conference, though Memphis has that Fedex money)
4: Ole Miss/URI (Ole Miss ahead given conference and resources)
5: All the rest

Reaction Score
I'd probably make 5 tiers in that model:

1: UCONN/Ville (Vill better job but situation makes them neck and neck)
2: Georgia/Pitt (money/resources/conference)
3. Xavier/Memphis (Xavier ahead given conference, though Memphis has that Fedex money)
4: Ole Miss/URI (Ole Miss ahead given conference and resources)
5: All the rest
Reasonable, but Pitt's misses and hiring of a quasi-assistant/failed head coach I think drops below and at best equal to the Memphis and Xavier jobs. So my order there is Xavier, Georgia, Memphis, Pitt.

I don't think anyone has bounced yet from a good job in the American (definitely Cincy, Memphis, WState*, maybe Temple, Tulane or SMU) to a so-called major conference job. Best jobs in our conference still as good as all but the very best jobs in 'power five' conferences.

*if they stay in the Valley/MVC conference do they get Loyola's seeding and its them in the FF right now?!

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone has bounced yet from a good job in the American (definitely Cincy, Memphis, WState*, maybe Temple, Tulane or SMU) to a so-called major conference job. Best jobs in our conference still as good as all but the very best jobs in 'power five' conferences.

Our coaches haven't been successful enough yet (other than Marshall, and he's protected by Koch money).

Reaction Score
Our coaches haven't been successful enough yet (other than Marshall, and he's protected by Koch money).
Cronin is the only one I can think of who might get high level consideration at someplace that would fit his temperament, say the University of red-faced leprechauns in South Bend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom