Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
thank god
No coaching experience. Worst play in NFL history with the run into the end zone. I think we need to move forward not backward. Jim Mora. Great move. Great Pedigree just like Dan Hurley. Dan Orlovsky is just on his high chair because he is seen on ESPN every day. PALLEEEEASEEEEE.

Reaction Score
Can you give us a peek into who else was being considered or interviewed? Feel free to PM. I know you’re in the know based on some things you’ve correctly predicted in the past.

The only one I know for sure we were talking to was Moorhead, and I know we weren't involved with Golden. Some of the other guys (Campanile, Chesney, Harasymiak) I haven't heard either way on. Moorhead was interested, but as I understand it, he wanted to wait until the end of the season before deciding (presumably to see if he'd get a better offer), and Mora might not have been available by then, so we pulled the trigger on him so as to not get left without either one.

Reaction Score
The only one I know for sure we were talking to was Moorhead, and I know we weren't involved with Golden. Some of the other guys (Campanile, Chesney, Harasymiak) I haven't heard either way on. Moorhead was interested, but as I understand it, he wanted to wait until the end of the season before deciding (presumably to see if he'd get a better offer), and Mora might not have been available by then, so we pulled the trigger on him so as to not get left without either one.
I knew it.. I have a friend that’s close friends with one of Moorhead’s family members and I was also told he was interested in the job, and that both parties were in contact.

I like how some, well one, sit here and call me delusional and supposedly I’m smoking cr@ck because I said we’re not out of Moorhead’s league… I guess I wasn’t wrong huh Carl?

Reaction Score
as I understand it, he wanted to wait until the end of the season before deciding (presumably to see if he'd get a better offer), and Mora might not have been available by then, so we pulled the trigger on him so as to not get left without either one.

That's really too bad because I would have preferred Moorhead, but i understand why Dave pulled the trigger. You can't get left without either option. That's how you end up scrambling.

Reaction Score
Good interview. Liked a lot of what I heard. Some things were a bit concerning but hopefully not a big deal.
Like what? I can’t listen right now. I thought it interesting that the blurb below the link says he promised to bring us back to national prominence.

Reaction Score
Like what? I can’t listen right now. I thought it interesting that the blurb below the link says he promised to bring us back to national prominence.
Doug basically asks him how he can translate his personality into a head coach personality. essentially saying hey you're a personable guy but how do you show that to your players while still being the head coach? and he talks about how he's grown and is trying to use his learning experiences to mellow out.

a lot of successful coaches try to mellow out as they get older and it does not go well. There are times that it goes right. Tom Coughlin with the Giants is probably exhibit A. But a lot of the time it ends in disaster.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That's really too bad because I would have preferred Moorhead, but i understand why Dave pulled the trigger. You can't get left without either option. That's how you end up scrambling.
DB's Choice.

What a tough decision. I agree with what he did. You can't blame Moorhead for waiting to see if there is a better offer...but you have to sign the guy who is willing to commit now. There is some value in signing a guy who says "I don't need to wait for the season to end..I want this job".

Could have worked out with either coach... but you couldn't risk losing both.

I wonder if Herman was ever in the mix?

Anyway....That's why DB gets the big money!

Reaction Score
DB's Choice.

What a tough decision. I agree with what he did. You can't blame Moorhead for waiting to see if there is a better offer...but you have to sign the guy who is willing to commit now. There is some value in signing a guy who says "I don't need to wait for the season to end..I want this job".

At the end of the day it's a big part of Daves legacy. The fact that he spent 50 hours with the guy, at his house, speaks to how important this was. I just hope we did not get hoodwinked by some hospitality. I like the hire and I get why it was made so I can't fault him, but we have been burned so many times...

Reaction Score
Joining the staff as an assistant coach until the end of the year is the single strangest part of this whole thing. What a joke
Why do you say that? I think it would be great to get to know his players and who he'll keep. Tyler Phommachanh and Steven Krajewski would be the QB to keep, especially if he hired a QB coach who'll use their strength at the position. Maybe have them on the field for trick plays.

Reaction Score
It makes for a nice tweet. But while it's obviously incredibly prestigious to be a head coach in the NFL, I'm not at all sure that NFL coaching is nearly as good a preparation for college coaching as college coaching is.

Again, not saying anything good or bad about the hire yet.
I said that when SC hired Pete Carroll. He did ok.

Reaction Score
Look ... it is incredibly easy to recruit for the UCLA Bruins in Westwood. It is the #1 Public University in America & Westwood is charming with 1000s of sorority girls and lots of flavor. Ask Troy Aikman who I used to laugh at when he first arrived in the few bars in the downtown mixed use corridor.

You say they compete with USC; but the reality is the place (greater LA/Southern Cal) is so big that UCLA naturally gets a very high grade recruit just by being who they are; and distinctly different in many ways than SC. So being a good talent evaluator and picking right.

YES. You have to know JuCo. Yes you have to know Polynesian. But getting a top 15 QB every single year is a given. My primary interest - if you are watching college football in the last 5 years - is how he deals with the natural progression into a very transactional nature of the Sport. Transfer Portal. We still will be a development program - look at the roster we have today. But the MOST IMPORTANT skillset and tool has got to be solid video grabbing of talent from all over - to our great University.
Aikman went to OU as a recruit. He transferred later. If it was that ez, they’d be best program in country ; they’re not best team in city.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
At the end of the day it's a big part of Daves legacy. The fact that he spent 50 hours with the guy, at his house, speaks to how important this was. I just hope we did not get hoodwinked by some hospitality. I like the hire and I get why it was made so I can't fault him, but we have been burned so many times...
I just had a bad flashback to DB giving Diaco an extension because of a fear of him leaving. FOMO is powerful...let's hope it doesn't bite us in the butt on this one.

I don't think it will..but there is no way to be sure.

Reaction Score
DB's Choice.

Morehead is busy preparing the Ducks for hopefully playoffs. Can’t commit until end of season. My first choice if he was even interested? Herman? Whatever

Reaction Score
I just had a bad flashback to DB giving Diaco an extension because of a fear of him leaving. FOMO is powerful...let's hope it doesn't bite us in the butt on this one.

I don't think it will..but there is no way to be sure.
part of me thinks we tried to do the extension to get paid when Diaco got taken. It's what a lot of successful G5 programs do and I think we might have thought "oh this is easy, he gets signed away next year and some big school pays us a lot of money"

Reaction Score
You know ... this just isn't that hard. There is a former University of Washington QB named Hugh Millen who has a few week old campaign to get Jim Mora hired at UW to replace Jimmy Lake. You are acting like he is grandpa out to pasture. Ain't close to his market value for jobs. In the MW or Pac 12, he has value as a HC. If you possibly could be the Huskies coach in Seattle ... why would you become the Huskies coach in East Hartford. Two thoughts: Some guys love rehab jobs (and following Lake in that environment won't be fun) AND Mora has anchors in friends Spanos and Mazzone to report back.

Plus. I see this as two West Coast guys - Benedict and Mora - who culturally mesh. Maybe that is hard to explain here on the The Boneyard; but this world often comes to that. Benedict probably wouldn't connect with some NE types ... think Pasqualoni. Maybe Chesney (haha)
Like Hurley?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Regarding pulling the trigger on Mora versus waiting on Morehead: it is what happens in recruiting all the time. You offer a few players at a position and once they commit, you are done recruiting that slot. You move onto the next slot, etc. Very normal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom