Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 42 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
He was handcuffed by money. We had to pay off Diaco. DB in no win situation
Not just the Diaco buyout, but also in the midst of negotiations of what turned out to be a very bad AAC/ESPN contract for UConn. There is no comparison to the financial stability of UConn athletics in 2021 to the knowns and unknowns of 2018. Just the increased gate receipts from BE basketball games compared to the lack on interest in some AAC games is substantial.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not long after buying out Diaco we were in a position where funding a second buyout was a distinct possibility (still hasn't been resolved). There are a few with some authority who felt (still feel) it would have been a better move to wait an additional year on making a coaching change in men's basketball even if it would have cost us our current head coach. They saw limiting the financial support for football (look to where RE needed to turn to fill out coaching positions once the Hurley decision was made) as a way to punish DB.

I am thrilled with what has recently transpired and in all candor did not believe it could have happened prior to resolution of the dismissal of our prior men's basketball coach.

Reaction Score
All these guys are plug and play meaning as they grow to a better position, the next hungry guy will step in and the salaries will stay close to the same.

If you do better, revenue grows. IN 5 different ways. So if you like the team of coaches we have put together, you start to increase salaries and bonuses and everything as the wins come in. Attendance rises. Ancillary sales. TV money solidifies. all good

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If you do better, revenue grows. IN 5 different ways. So if you like the team of coaches we have put together, you start to increase salaries and bonuses and everything as the wins come in. Attendance rises. Ancillary sales. TV money solidifies. all good
I agree, but in listening to Mora, it sounds like the path I wrote is the one he is taking.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not long after buying out Diaco we were in a position where funding a second buyout was a distinct possibility (still hasn't been resolved). There are a few with some authority who felt (still feel) it would have been a better move to wait an additional year on making a coaching change in men's basketball even if it would have cost us our current head coach. They saw limiting the financial support for football (look to where RE needed to turn to fill out coaching positions once the Hurley decision was made) as a way to punish DB.

I am thrilled with what has recently transpired and in all candor did not believe it could have happened prior to resolution of the dismissal of our prior men's basketball coach.
Very interesting

Reaction Score
I think this is AD David Benedict Christmas present for the fans... Mora might be what we needed 10 years ago...
A good friend who's been involved with football for decades, including some ties to the NFL, was pleasantly surprised when he learned we had hired JM. Impressed we were able to get him and confident he would lead us to bigger and better days.

Reaction Score
Former director of recruiting for Tex Tech Beau Davidson has been liking tons of UConn tweets. Keep an eye out.
At Texas Tech, Houston-area native Davidson worked with/for UConn football GM, Preston Perhson (ex-TT Dir of Player Personnel and initially Dir of Recruiting).
Before Davidson's return to Texas, he was Virginia Tech's Dir of Recruiting and Asst Dir of Player Personnel. In Blacksburg, Davidson promoted a "#TX2VT" social media campaign which attracted several Texans to sign with the Hokies.
Previously, Davidson coached with small TX and OK colleges, a TX CC, and with Houston area high schools.
North Texas alum. Mean Green TE and LS

Reaction Score
At Texas Tech, Houston-area native Davidson worked with/for UConn football GM, Preston Perhson (ex-TT Dir of Player Personnel and initially Dir of Recruiting).
Before Davidson's return to Texas, he was Virginia Tech's Dir of Recruiting and Asst Dir of Player Personnel. In Blacksburg, Davidson promoted a "#TX2VT" social media campaign which attracted several Texans to sign with the Hokies.
Previously, Davidson coached with small TX and OK colleges, a TX CC, and with Houston area high schools.
North Texas alum. Mean Green TE and LS

Hmmm.. Interesting...I wonder what it means ...

Reaction Score
Even better, Brandon Johnson and UConn RB coach EJ Barthel were college teammates north of the border near the Connecticut River. Kudos on congratulating Barthel on UConn's quick NJ recruiting success.

Reaction Score
Even better, Brandon Johnson and UConn RB coach EJ Barthel were college teammates north of the border near the Connecticut River. Kudos on congratulating Barthel on UConn's quick NJ recruiting success.
And then he goes and ups UMASS in the comments

Reaction Score
Both Davidson and Errin Joe (current GA at Georgia Tech) are both listed on the UConn website as part of the “Player Personnel” department which is led by Perhson.

I wonder how many staff we had under Edsall. I never thought we had nearly that many people. 7 people who in one way or another are basically responsible for recruiting? This bodes well for future classes for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom