Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score

Played for Mora as 5'7" DB early the last decade and won all the Community type awards including the prestigious Jackie Robinson Award. Played Special Teams. Coming here after a stint as Director of On Campus Recruiting at Fresno State. Mething ... he might know the California Juco community (where we can find a few) and Cali HS football. Went to Loyola HS in LA which is both the elite school along the Santa Monica FWY stretch and a traditional FB power.

Reaction Score
Former DB/Special Teams player @ UCLA when Mora was Head Coach.

So the 4 allowed GA’s are:

Alex Cobb - Offensive GA
Kevin Falaki - new Offensive GA
Joe Castellitto - Defensive GA
Lobrado Barocio - new Defensive GA
What happened to the previous two GA?

Reaction Score
I saw Ben Chapman in some of the recruiting video released on Jake G. and Ben M. He was laughing and close to the family. If he wants Football, I think he has a network here in Connecticut to continue

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment the guy I'm most interested in, the one who can have the largest immediate impact is Sammis.

If he is a good enough teacher that our offensive line will be somewhat competent in 2022, that could well be the difference between a two win season and a five-six win season.

I don't need the "seven blocks of granite" but I absolutely want an upgrade from the "blocks of cardboard" we've seen basically since GDL decided to impose his will on what was a quality offensive line a decade ago.

Reaction Score
7 guys and Pehrson 31 to 35. 50 year old Allen + 54 year old Spanos. 60 year old CEO (Head Coach)

A Cultural Identity. Wonder if David Benedict thought this out loud when he was in that rarefied Idaho climate
Lou Spanos is only 50 years old.

Reaction Score
7 guys and Pehrson 31 to 35. 50 year old Allen + 54 year old Spanos. 60 year old CEO (Head Coach)

A Cultural Identity. Wonder if David Benedict thought this out loud when he was in that rarefied Idaho climate
Spanos is 50 and will be 51 in March.

Reaction Score
At the moment the guy I'm most interested in, the one who can have the largest immediate impact is Sammis.

If he is a good enough teacher that our offensive line will be somewhat competent in 2022, that could well be the difference between a two win season and a five-six win season.

I don't need the "seven blocks of granite" but I absolutely want an upgrade from the "blocks of cardboard" we've seen basically since GDL decided to impose his will on what was a quality offensive line a decade ago.
We have really missed Mike Foley.

Reaction Score
Any update on final salary pool? I thought someone (maybe medic) mentioned it was FOI’d
It ‘twas I… I see mutiple FOI requests for football coaches contracts/salaries/term sheets (some fulfilled/some pending) out there but I haven’t seen any follow-up stories by the requesters yet (Hearst, The Athletic, etc…)

At this point (at least for me) it’s more a curiosity figure because it appears at least on paper it’s a diverse, experienced staff.

Reaction Score
It feels as though a significant portion amount is being spent in upgrading the support staff (or in NFL terms, the front office) piece of the infrastructure, which is a really good thing (even if some of that money came out of available dollars for the on the field staff). They really seem to be putting in more effort to uncovering players through every possible path than we've seen (at least outwardly been able to see) previously.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned with what the final tally will be on salaries throughout the football staff as it appears that within the restraints of what we logically have to work with, on the surface at least it appears that we did exceptionally well.

What I see as the most encouraging part of this is that the handcuffing of the athletic department (by some who wanted to punish DB) seems to be over.

Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned with what the final tally will be on salaries throughout the football staff as it appears that within the restraints of what we logically have to work with, on the surface at least it appears that we did exceptionally well.

What I see as the most encouraging part of this is that the handcuffing of the athletic department (by some who wanted to punish DB) seems to be over.
I don’t believe DB was handcuffed by anyone on the last coaching hire. It’s an excuse.

He had mentioned that there would be more money for staff and I just want to see if he was being truthful. The fact that they added some different positions makes me think that there was more money allocated. I just want to see how much the assistants were paid, particularly Offensive and Defensive Coordinator. That will be telling.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don’t believe DB was handcuffed by anyone on the last coaching hire. It’s an excuse.

He had mentioned that there would be more money for staff and I just want to see if he was being truthful. The fact that they added some different positions makes me think that there was more money allocated. I just want to see how much the assistants were paid, particularly Offensive and Defensive Coordinator. That will be telling.
Not the hire, what happened afterwards.

Will add detail at some point, wouldn't be wise to do it now.

Reaction Score
We just hired 8 guys (assistants + Pehrson) who have been in the coaching business (BASICALLY) since 2013-2014. All rising, None P5. One Head Coach. Temple with Drayton is hiring 20 year experience at the assistants level; some with higher level platforms. Who do you think is more costly?

This was by design. Charlton, of course, will be more expensive. I want DB to be prepared for 150% raise if we do well in 3 years arc. I don't think the current contracts are indicative of commitment given the theme.

Reaction Score
We just hired 8 guys (assistants + Pehrson) who have been in the coaching business (BASICALLY) since 2013-2014. All rising, None P5. One Head Coach. Temple with Drayton is hiring 20 year experience at the assistants level; some with higher level platforms. Who do you think is more costly?

This was by design. Charlton, of course, will be more expensive. I want DB to be prepared for 150% raise if we do well in 3 years arc. I don't think the current contracts are indicative of commitment given the theme.
Temple hired a running backs coach as their head coach. He needs to surround himself with experience because he has no idea what to do. We hired a dude with a lot of Head coaching experience at much higher levels, so he is surrounding himself with bright new innovative minds because he knows how to run a team. Has zero to do with budget and everything to do with the fact that Temple hired a guy who's been a running back coach for 20 years, while we hired a guy who has won playoff games in the NFL as head coach and was a very successful P5 head coach.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

All these guys are plug and play meaning as they grow to a better position, the next hungry guy will step in and the salaries will stay close to the same.

Reaction Score

He was handcuffed by money. We had to pay off Diaco. DB in no win situation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom